Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images

Hammock Set up in the making

Hey everyone or anyone! I'm still somewhat new to the hammock forums and I've been learning a lot. I wanted to share a Hammock possibilities that would be attached. If anyone had better ideas that they know work around the same price range as the ones I had listed please let me know. I am thinking of starting cheap so please keep in mind why I chose my parts.

The Hammock:
    Grand Trunk Ultra-Light Hammock $20.00
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40675
    Questions:
    -Does anyone use this and not like it?
    -It is considered breathable will I be loosing a lot more of my heat in this hammock than an ENO or BB or HH?

The Suspension:
    Harbor Freight Straps + 2 carabiners attached to hammock $8
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40058

The Tarp:
    Campmor Nylon Tarp 10' x 10' $45
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22220

The Pad/Insulation
    Stansport sleeping pad $20
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10957723
    +
    Home made pad $20

The Bug net:
    Coghlan's Mosquito Netting x 3 = $15
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___88095

What do you guys think? For a cheap set up that may work? I am sorry if some of these questions were answered elsewhere if so please refer me to the page where I can find the information I'm looking for. Thank you! Feel Free to critique as much as you want! I'm still a noob.
    Last edited by Peanutdude; 10-28-2009 at 17:30. Reason: I changed the suspension and tarp and added netting
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutdude View Post
    The Suspension:
    ENO Slap Straps + 2 carabiners attached to hammock $30
    http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap.html
    Questions:
    -I know there are instructional videos on how to make these but I will not be able to make a pair. Has anyone used a similar product or technique?
    No, no, no, no. Back away from the keyboard and don't move. Do yourself a big favor and save yourself a lot of frustration. Don't order the Slap Straps. They're made of nylon and will stretch like a mutha! They're not worth the time, money or frustration, so just skip them and be done with it. You're much better off with ring buckles, cinch buckles or whoopie slings. Just no Slap Straps. Ever.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    There were some good suggestions in this thread...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8921

I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've read more than a few complaints about the ENO slap straps. You might want to explore other options.

I can personally recommend this tarp, rather than the one you linked to...

(You can see it in my avatar pic.)

It's not that much more expensive. The 10X10 size works wonderfully to give you full coverage. The tarp doesn't have any grommets either, which are heavy and tend to tear out over time, ruining the tarp.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    No, no, no, no. Back away from the keyboard and don't move. Do yourself a big favor and save yourself a lot of frustration. Don't order the Slap Straps. They're made of nylon and will stretch like a mutha! They're not worth the time, money or frustration, so just skip them and be done with it. You're much better off with ring buckles, cinch buckles or whoopie slings. Just no Slap Straps. Ever.
    Haha I crossed that off my list. I will look for a cinch buckle because I've heard good things about them. Thank you Hooch!

Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    There were some good suggestions in this thread...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8921

I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've read more than a few complaints about the ENO slap straps. You might want to explore other options.

I can personally recommend this tarp, rather than the one you linked to...

(You can see it in my avatar pic.)

It's not that much more expensive. The 10X10 size works wonderfully to give you full coverage. The tarp doesn't have any grommets either, which are heavy and tend to tear out over time, ruining the tarp.
    ENO slap straps are off my list now and thanks for the tarp advice. I am looking for more versatility if possible because I would like to make the Grand Trunk Hammock into an asym design like the HH. I am planning on making straps out of webbing to be able to attach rope and stakes. If I do this I would want to put the tarp at an angle. I will still keep it in mind because that is the perfect size. Thank you molawns!
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Haha I crossed that off my list. I will look for a cinch buckle because I've heard good things about them. Thank you Hooch!
    No sweat, happy to help. Two words for ya: Whoopie Slings. There are very easy to make. If you don't feel like making them, at least 2 members here are making and selling them for a a very reasonable price. You won't be sorry.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

The Tarp:
    Campmor Coated Nylon Tarp 8' x 10' $33
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22217
    Questions:
    -Would this be on the small side?
    -Is there anything out there that is just waterproof and around the same price that anyone else uses? (not looking for heavy duty nylon ground sheets).
    Make sure you check out the Sportsmans Guide Gear 12x12 tarp
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=254694
    It's on the heavy side but it's a fantastic tarp and big enough to host a party under it. I've tied mine up in all sorts of different configuations and they've all worked. Some times I take it just to have as a "dinning fly".

Also look around your area and see if you have any military surplus stores. I found a used military poncho liner that I've used as either an over quilt or tied it to the bottom, under my hammock, as an under quilt. Works great down into the 50's temps.

If you have any boating stores around you (like West Marine) call them and see if they sell Amsteel rope. If they do, go buy some for your suspension.

Happy Hunting for your gear!!!
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Peanutdude... Get yourself to te MAHHA hang in a couple of weeks. You will see something of everything there fro, straight stock HH to DIY cuben outfits. Nothing lile a one stop showroom for just about anything on the market. Bring what you've got and then decide what you want. Who knows.. there might even be a spare hammock in someones trunk that you could buy and take home with you.

You don't have any bug net protection in your listing. You may want to rethink your hammock choice. Making the GT Parachute hammock into an Asym may or may not be practical. The only thing asym about the HH is the bugnet. I find my home sleeper just as easy to lie diagonally as my HH Expolerer. IMO the asym designation for the HH is more marketing hype than practical feature. Any nice wide hammcok can be slept in on a diagonal. As much as I like my HH I do think there is a lot more squeal than pig in the marketing. The bottom entry is _for me_ the selling point. But that's because of my mobility issues.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    just another tarp option for you at Big Rock Outfitters Terry from there was an awesome help to me.. similar in price to the campmor. Also this one comes with webbing loops instead of grommets 50 ft. of guyline cord. Comes in sizes 6X10, 8X10, 10X10, and 12X10
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Peanutdude... Get yourself to te MAHHA hang in a couple of weeks. You will see something of everything there fro, straight stock HH to DIY cuben outfits. Nothing lile a one stop showroom for just about anything on the market. Bring what you've got and then decide what you want. Who knows.. there might even be a spare hammock in someones trunk that you could buy and take home with you.
    I wish I could but I'm busy and I will not be able to go camping during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You don't have any bug net protection in your listing. You may want to rethink your hammock choice. Making the GT Parachute hammock into an Asym may or may not be practical. The only thing asym about the HH is the bugnet. I find my home sleeper just as easy to lie diagonally as my HH Expolerer. IMO the asym designation for the HH is more marketing hype than practical feature. Any nice wide hammcok can be slept in on a diagonal. As much as I like my HH I do think there is a lot more squeal than pig in the marketing. The bottom entry is _for me_ the selling point. But that's because of my mobility issues.
    I am buying some netting which I can sew on to my hammock and throw over the ridge line and I would figure out how put it on the other side. I didn't know that about the Hennessy but I was thinking If I did that it would also stabilize the hammock through rough winds.
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    On your tarp, I'm using this other one from Campmore and am very happy with it.

The price has gone up in the past few months, I paid $40 for it if I recall. I like the square shape as I have the option of hanging it on the diagonal or the square which can give me varying levels of coverage and options to close off the ends a bit.

I like the Big and the Diamond fly from here http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

But I give up the square configuration. Not a big deal though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast