DIY Single layer
    Tarp
    Nyl Shwr Crtn Linr
    Insulation
    DIY Down 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Cams
    Images
    very inexpensive suspension: check out the "Harbor Frieght Straps" thread.

Slopes

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by asimmons4 View Post
    just another tarp option for you at Big Rock Outfitters Terry from there was an awesome help to me.. similar in price to the campmor. Also this one comes with webbing loops instead of grommets 50 ft. of guyline cord. Comes in sizes 6X10, 8X10, 10X10, and 12X10
    Ive got 2 12x10's from him.

Terry is great to work with.

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    I just edited my choices in tarps and suspension so thank you everyone for the help so far!
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    "Binford 3600" DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon 10x10
    Insulation
    CCF & Mylar pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutdude View Post
    I am buying some netting which I can sew on to my hammock and throw over the ridge line and I would figure out how put it on the other side.
    If I were you, I wouldn't sew it on as you won't always need the netting. You can leave it home if you won't need it, but if you sew it on you're stuck carrying it regardless.

Instead, sew a cord on each end (i.e., form a tube on each end with the cord running through it) so you can cinch up the ends. Then sew four small fabric pockets on the long edge about 18 to 24 inches from the ends.

After setting up your hammock, tie a 2mm line to your suspension straps, near where the hammock ends are, with a taut line hitch at the head end. Drape your netting over this and cinch the ends closed around your hammock ends. Place one small rock in each pocket to weight the netting down.

When you're in the hammock, the netting will drape around the sides and pretty much seal you off from bug entry points.

Be sure to leave the netting support line a little loose as it will tighten up a bit when you get in the hammock. Then you can tighten it up the rest of the way with the taut line hitch. Of course, if your hammock uses a ridge line, you can just use that.

Here you can see the pockets I sewed onto mine (using the netting material):

-- Tim Taylor

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutdude View Post
    Grand Trunk Ultra-Light Hammock $20.00
    Questions:
    -Does anyone use this and not like it?
    -It is considered breathable will I be loosing a lot more of my heat in this hammock than an ENO or BB or HH?
    I love the GT Ultralight hammock. It's been my #1 go-to hammock for more than two years now and it works great. It's hard to beat the price and I hope GT keeps the price where it is. I recommend this to all my friends and family who are considering ditching the tent and going light. Campmor.com is where I've purchased the Ultralight too.

The first thing I did with the ultralight is get rid of their horrid knotted ropes. I used them on one trip (with webbing straps around the trees) and the ropes melted at the knots and the inner fibers came out under the strain.

The fabric is very durable and breaths fine. Of course, you'll need the insulation as the temperatures drop, no matter what hammock you choose.

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    Sweet! Thank you Dejoha! It's good to see someone uses and like the hammock I'm planning on getting.

And thank you for the idea about the netting Binford
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    When I switched from my HH to simpler hammocks, like the GT Ultralight, I needed a bug net (living in Virginia at the time where mosquitos are horrible). There are a few commercial bug nets that offer 360° protection, but I didn't like the cost, nor the weight.

One solution was to make or buy a head net, since the rest of my body would be protected by my sleeping bag. What I ended up doing was making my own tube net, like Binford describes. Cheap as I was, I purchased a $12 Mombasa net from REI, unstitched the rectangle top, and sewed the ends together making a cinch on each end. I fitted my hammock with a ridgeline, so pulling the tube net over my hammock was easy enough. The drawstring and cord lock made closing up the bug net easy. I've used this net for more than a year and it's worked great.

http://www.rei.com/product/729006

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    Cool I might just do something similar to that. Thanks thought a lot. I will be buying everything soon and hopefully setting it up in my back yard, making adjustments. and then when winter comes I may attach the net depending on how it works out.
    Peace -Peanutdude

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12