Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

possible costco down mod

So i ran to the local costco and managed to grab 3 quilts, and What im currently debating is essentially harvesting the down from one to sew into the other.

My plan of attack is to use a threadripper to open up a horizontal baffle and then shake the down all into the lower baffle then sewing it back up. Then unstitch 2 baffles of down shake it to the bottom then sew it up. Repeat until all the down is filling up 1/2 of the baffles.

Then harvest the down from the 2nd quilt to fill up the other half of the modded quilt.

I'm hoping this will get me a TQ that will get me into the mid 30's considering some are reporting 40's with just 1 throw.

So I'm fairly newbish when it comes to DIY does this seem plausible? Or will harvesting the down from the 5 inch by 5 inch baffles suck so hard it wont be worth it?

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

...."Nightmare On Down Street"
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post

...."Nightmare On Down Street"
    I can't stop laughing!! This is obviously someone who has dealt with down. Down is a PITA to try to "harvest" or repurpose.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Just wash or soak the throw in some down wash (regular water won't work). Then open it up and grab wet handsful. No problem, in my experience.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Rain mans suggestion sounds like it could work and be a very clean way to go about it, no pun intended, but either way, don't get discouraged, alot of members harvest down all the time around here.
    Whatever way you go about it i suggest that you take your time and be paitent.
    3 throws of down into 1 should get you even lower than 30 in my opinion.
    Make sure you let us know how it works out...

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Or... could you just sew/snap two together?

I have several of these that I'm making into an UQ and TQ. The price is great, but IMHO, the sewn-though baffle construction, and resulting loft restriction is ok for a summer quilt, but I would think it would have cold spots if overstuffed and used for deep winter.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

Brilliant, RainMan !!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Brilliant, RainMan !!
    I LOVE it when people tell me that!!! LOL

Okay if I quote you to my wife?!!! ~wink~
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    From personal experience pull the little bit of down in those throws is not going to be worth the time, IMHO.

What makes more sense to me, and I bought 4 so I will be doing this, is to take one and fold it on the 70" in half, run a grosgain channel on each side and use it as a summer UQ or add a pad and try and use it as a 40degree. Then with the second, pick an end and sew a grosgain channel so as to gather the end for a footbox. Add 2 or 3 buttons up from that same button, and use that one as a summer TQ.

Just my Opinion, but you would might be able to pull $22 of down out of a $20 throw, and spend $50in man hours doing it.

I will be sewing tomorrow so I will post picks of my creation soon.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfanboy View Post
    From personal experience pull the little bit of down in those throws is not going to be worth the time, IMHO.

What makes more sense to me, and I bought 4 so I will be doing this, is to take one and fold it on the 70" in half, run a grosgain channel on each side and use it as a summer UQ or add a pad and try and use it as a 40degree. Then with the second, pick an end and sew a grosgain channel so as to gather the end for a footbox. Add 2 or 3 buttons up from that same button, and use that one as a summer TQ.

Just my Opinion, but you would might be able to pull $22 of down out of a $20 throw, and spend $50in man hours doing it.

I will be sewing tomorrow so I will post picks of my creation soon.
    + 1 on all bigfanboy said. I also bought one and I plan on getting a few more on thursday. My fiance and I played with the JCP coats when they were around. Though we got one done, it was a lot of work, and we didn't try to re-stuff the down even. I think what is so GREAT about these quilts, is that most of the work is done; it's already a quilt that just needs finishing of sorts. I plan on folding one over as a light weight quilt (like a PLUQ), and possibly doubling one, folded over, for a bit colder weather. Also, If you stack them, but not right on the seams, you can try to avoid the cold spots created from sewn through quilts. That's why it's not worth it to restuff 3 into 1.... Still a sewn through quilt in the end.

As far as a top quilt, right now I've just been using mine as a top blanket while it's so warm, but that's about to change real soon and a foot box and longer quilt will be needed. Maybe I'll keep one unaltered as a simple SUMMER blanket

Am very curious what you and others come out in the end from these costco quilts. I have a feeling there will be a real strong thread about these in no time, just like PLUQ and JCP's had
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast