Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I bought one to try as a TQ, liked it so went back to Costco and bought 3 more. Now I'm waiting for more pics of the creations of the forum members before I convince my wife to sew mine into a UQ.

image.jpg
    Here is a pic of one doubled and made into an underquilt. Used shock cord around the outside so I can slide it around under me as needed, and made ripstop channels at the ends with additional shock cord to snug it up to the hammock. Easy project for a beginner like me. Also not pictured is the top quilt I made using two other throws, snapped together with Kam snaps offset by two rows of quilt to make it a bit longer, and a channel with zing-it cord and lock to cinch the "footbox". Still need to add Velcro to the open side. I will post some pics of that when completed. Why does the picture get turned sideways when posting from my phone?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishdds View Post
    image.jpg
    Here is a pic of one doubled and made into an underquilt. Used shock cord around the outside so I can slide it around under me as needed, and made ripstop channels at the ends with additional shock cord to snug it up to the hammock. Easy project for a beginner like me. Also not pictured is the top quilt I made using two other throws, snapped together with Kam snaps offset by two rows of quilt to make it a bit longer, and a channel with zing-it cord and lock to cinch the "footbox". Still need to add Velcro to the open side. I will post some pics of that when completed. Why does the picture get turned sideways when posting from my phone?
    looks very good. More pics of the details please, including the TQ
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    I have 4 of these waiting conversion to a TQ and UDQ, just waiting for a simple design and instructions.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishdds View Post
    image.jpg
    What did you use for the channel on the end of your TQ? I tried grossgrain and it was too stiff.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    For an UQ, here's my current thinking. I'm going to make it into a 3/4 length UQ. The throw is 60 X 70 (each square is 5 inches). So, I'll cut the throw into two pieces, one that is 40 (8 squares) X 60 and the other that is 30 (6 squares) X 60. I'll then center the 30 x 60 over the 40 x 60, with room to account for movement (akin to a differential cut). Then its just a matter of add channels to the ends to cinch them up. And also installing the suspension either shock cord channels or tie-outs on each of the four points like the AHE Jarbidge.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Winter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I picked up a couple of these throws a while ago. My thought was to use them by doubling up. See how cold one will go then add another quilt and so on.

possible costco down mod

New here, finally posting because I am so confused and I wish I could understand all this better!

I have two quilts that I'd like to make into UQs but I've never seen or used one in real life so I'm having a hard time understanding what goes where and why.

I get the shock cord gathers at the head and foot ends, but why on the long sides? And how do you make it attach to your hammock?

I have sewn clothes for my kids so I have some frame of reference but not camping gear... Sorry for being such a newb...

Quote Originally Posted by barbermike View Post
    What did you use for the channel on the end of your TQ? I tried grossgrain and it was too stiff.
    I actually used no-see-um bug net material I had left over from making a tarp skin. Probably not the sturdiest thing, but it did allow the end to be completely gathered, and it held up fine for the first camp-out, anyway. Might use sil-nylon scrap if I have to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jackthlion View Post
    New here, finally posting because I am so confused and I wish I could understand all this better!

I have two quilts that I'd like to make into UQs but I've never seen or used one in real life so I'm having a hard time understanding what goes where and why.

I get the shock cord gathers at the head and foot ends, but why on the long sides? And how do you make it attach to your hammock?

I have sewn clothes for my kids so I have some frame of reference but not camping gear... Sorry for being such a newb...
    I used shock cord around the long sides in order for it to have some give with the sag of the hammock, and not have to be as spot on with the length of the cord to have it in the right place when the hammock is occupied, not in order to gather the long ends. I also just ran one length all the way around, so I can slide the whole quilt towards the head or feet as needed for positioning. The shock cord gathers at the head and feet are two separate cords with cord locks in separate channels at the ends. For attaching to the hammock, I just use a micro s-biner at each end on the shock cord and attach to a small continuous loop of zing-it I made that is attached to my Amsteel continuous loop that gathers the hammock, but you could also just clip the biners on your suspension at the end of the hammock. I'll post some more detailed pics tonight as pinballwizard requested.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast