Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing

Wide width hammocks and UQ

Looking to purchase a DH in a wider width. At one point, if any, does the width affect the use of an UQ? I have a JRB and a HG underquilt. Experience with either and a DH?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    The tie outs on integrated hammocks can affect the uq warmth. Just don't use the tieouts as tight or at all.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Great question! I wonder how many have considered it in their decision to use the wider fabric, it never crossed my mind.

I'll let the experts make the call, but I would think the UQ would follow your body on the diagonal. Might lose some coverage "up" the sides?? I doubt it would be an issue of that were true, just less overlap of the UQ & TQ.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It doesn't matter how wide the hammock is. It only matters how wide YOU are. All underquilts are smaller than the hammocks on which they are used, but they don't need to cover the empty parts of the hammock...

I have been using different underquilts with different hammocks; my widest hammock is 11' x 74". I have used my HG Incubator short with no problems. That doesn't mean, that a longer and wider underquilt wouldn't feel nicer, but that is irrespective of the size of the hammock. For hiking I would always use the smallest uq that I can get away with. For hanging at home I prefer a big uq.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by whmoller View Post
    Looking to purchase a DH in a wider width. At one point, if any, does the width affect the use of an UQ? I have a JRB and a HG underquilt. Experience with either and a DH?
    This past weekend at the Fall Sprawl hang, we demonstrated and used underquilts from JRB, HG, & UGQ on several different Dream Hammocks ranging in width from 58" to 71". I personally slept in an 11ft x 66" wide hammock outfitted with a HG Pheonix with no issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    The tie outs on integrated hammocks can affect the uq warmth. Just don't use the tieouts as tight or at all.
    False. The tie-out systems used by Dream Hammock have no affect on the warmth of an underquilt, but they can influence the fit and positioning of an underquilt. Our shock corded tie-out system does not pull the hammock sides out tightly, but rather provide a just a little spread to the hammock which will easily stretch to acomodate your laying position. Also, with the use of our pack hook tie-outs combined with the UGQ pack hook mod, the tie-outs can actually assist with the proper positioning and snug fit of the bottom insulation.

Oh and by the way....
    VII. Vendors. - F. Vendors will not discuss their own products in threads or forums devoted to other vendors or their products. Perhaps you could offer your opinion and guidance somewhere other than the Dream Hammock sub-forum?

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    It doesn't matter how wide the hammock is. It only matters how wide YOU are. All underquilts are smaller than the hammocks on which they are used, but they don't need to cover the empty parts of the hammock...
    I agree 100%. Position your underquilt to insulate directly under your body and don't sweat the unoccupied portions of the wider fabric.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    This past weekend at the Fall Sprawl hang, we demonstrated and used underquilts from JRB, HG, & UGQ on several different Dream Hammocks ranging in width from 58" to 71". I personally slept in an 11ft x 66" wide hammock outfitted with a HG Pheonix with no issues at all.

False. The tie-out systems used by Dream Hammock have no affect on the warmth of an underquilt, but they can influence the fit and positioning of an underquilt. Our shock corded tie-out system does not pull the hammock sides out tightly, but rather provide a just a little spread to the hammock which will easily stretch to acomodate your laying position. Also, with the use of our pack hook tie-outs combined with the UGQ pack hook mod, the tie-outs can actually assist with the proper positioning and snug fit of the bottom insulation.

Oh and by the way....
    VII. Vendors. - F. Vendors will not discuss their own products in threads or forums devoted to other vendors or their products. Perhaps you could offer your opinion and guidance somewhere other than the Dream Hammock sub-forum?
    Jeez.

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    Great, thanks for the responses. They help a great deal. I guess the next question at what point does width start becoming a diminishing return? My HH is 56" wide, and I think a few extra inches in width might make all the difference, so I am thinking a width of between 60 and 65. Thoughts. I am also concerned that as you make the hammock wider you are also making ti somewhat unwieldy.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have a 72 inch wide Thunderbird and i love the extra width, and it does not compromise the warnth from my UQ at all

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    11' x 60" has become more or less standard. So, yes, a few extra inches does help. With 72" fabric recently hitting the market, I'll wait to see where the widths end up. Might make 10 footers doable for those close to 6', or taller. I doubt they'll become unwieldy, possibly just a bigger wall of fabric to contend with.

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    Thanks again for the posts; they are really helping with my decision making process. On another thread someone said that buying a hammock is worse than buying a car. How true.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast