WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, UQ Zepp
    Suspension
    Buckle

Enlightened Equipment TQ Revelation

Hi there. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with the EE Revelation? I am in need of a warmer tq. My concern is really how the bag attaches to the sleeping pad. I would primarily be using the quilt in my hammock but there's plenty of opportunity in my future here where there might not be trees available and I might find myself on the ground (GASP!). Are the toggles on the system (that wraps around the sleeping pad) static? Or can they be moved closer to your body (to keep drafts out) to really warm things up?

Katabatic Gear has such a great system for this type of concern. And they make a beautiful product. I think I drooled when I got mine. I'd buy from them again in a hearbeat but they are pricey.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by hc0327; 09-26-2015 at 23:14.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / HG Inc
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    The tabs on the TQ are static but the straps that attach are stretchy and can be tightened. So when wrapped around a pad they can be cinched up when it gets really cold.

Being new to hammocks I have not used it without a pad yet. But I imagine the straps will not be needed. It also has a snap at the head end with a draw string so it can be tightened around your neck as well.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, UQ Zepp
    Suspension
    Buckle
    Thanks Papaotter. Do you feel like those straps are going to last for quite awhile? Also, I was referring to the tabs of the UGC Renegade. I have looked at so many uqs that I confused myself.

Do you like your EE Rev? Any thoughts?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Halt!! A pad is designed for a flat surface. It works just ok in a hammock. A quilt is optimal in a hammock. Top quilts have pad straps PRIMARILY so that you can use them a little more efficiently on the ground. Mostly when you toss & turn - um, because you're on the ground - so that the edges of the quilt will stay wrapped around you. Its not completely necessary to have the pad secured that way, but I suppose if you need to get the most out of your TQ, then it can help.

So, back to the hammock... how the heck are you going to get into a pad/quilt combo that is secured on the sides? Only opening is going to be at the head end.

Trust me, ok, you won't want to secure the pad to the quilt. You will want to adjust the pad as best you can to get it where you want it, then the TQ drapes over you and you tuck it. If you toss and turn, it will screw the whole thing up, BUT you'll be glad that you only have the pad to get back into position first, instead of dealing with that whole setup attached together. I'm losing sleep just thinking about it.

p.s. and yes, I have a summer Rev that I use with a pad.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, UQ Zepp
    Suspension
    Buckle
    Hi Dakotaross -

To relieve your stress, I'll get right to the point: I am not using the pad in the hammock. I know I am silly but I'm not THAT SILLY.

I wasn't clear enough in my first post. I will be using the TQ in the hammock. Not the pad. In an upcoming trip there will be times when I will not have trees available to me and I will be sleeping on a flat surface - I hope - and unfortunately, not hanging in a hammock.

It's also windy and cold on the coast and I'd like to be able to keep the quilt secure around my sides so that drafts don't make their way to my body. I do find that way of securing my TQ very necessary. But I'm silly like that.

Hope that eases your mind. Good night.
    Last edited by hc0327; 09-26-2015 at 23:28.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You mean you'll be using an UQ instead of a pad, right?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, UQ Zepp
    Suspension
    Buckle
    Yes - as you can see in my profile I own a uq. My post was about TQs though. Thanks for your concern. I've been hammocking now for a couple years and feel completely comfortable with my hammock set up.

Images
    Hi hc so you are asking a hammock forum specific info about a TQ designed for ground sleeping with a pad?
    You might have better luck in a high end camping forum. Most here do everything possible to not go to ground much less buy a special TQ for that function.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarps
    Insulation
    EE Top and UQ
    *Disclaimer: I work at Enlightened Equipment*

The clips used on the quilt are fixed in place, but the opposite clips on the strap itself can be moved as desired. Technically the female clip is sewn into place on the strap, but by just rotating the loop strap around your pad you can position it wherever you want, and then the male can be moved any distance away from that to your taste so it still functionally acts like they're both movable. Personally as a side sleeper when on the ground, I prefer just the side by my back clipped down, so it's still easier to get in and out, and my position naturally holds the front to keep drafts out there. The way you sleep may make clipping both sides more comfortable though.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I have used the EE pad attachment system on my quilt fairly extensively. The elastic pad straps are easy to pop on your pad, and the position of the clips on the straps is really easy to adjust. They stay locked in really well. I have spend a decent number of nights above tree line (read:in the wind) and the system has kept the quilt nicely tucked the whole night.

I have had mine for ~2 years, and they show basically zero signs of wear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast