Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    A friend of my daughter had a wake-up call this weekend when visiting colleges. She was at the Univ. of Alabama and was told they do not allow hammocks. She said that this is actually a deal breaker for her. My son and daughter are both a year away from college and will be starting the search next fall. We live in Florida and they are looking at going to college in either GA, SC, or NC. Can we create a link or spot to let people list colleges and campuses that do not allow hammocking or have restrictions.

Actually, it would be good to create something that lists hammock friendly cities, parks, or other sites. I would be helpful to have a quick reference guide without having to do a major search.
    Good for your daughter's friend, she's smart. Should be going to Ga Tech !!

You know, MassDrop just had a $32 fully netted hammock for sale. Right in the college freshman/sophomore wallet wheelhouse. Sold with ropes for suspension, ughh!!. Would be great to start an effort to get some of these companies to stop selling hammocks with ropes, or at least get retailers to buy in on the standard of straps only for hammocks they sell.

I think at state parks, its been more about education of those that "think" hammocks damage trees. My guess is that colleges didn't start banning hammocks until they started to notice real damage from use of ropes with these hammock makers that refuse to get with the program.

And, too, as Rock pointed out, hammock use isn't immune from typical college stupidity. Students do stupid stuff, admin blames the alcohol or whatever else was used while doing said stupid stuff. I don't know why otherwise smart college students do such stupid stuff! Stupidity, like stair-diving, should be confined to the frat house. And no, I'm not digging up a picture of that.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    It's sad to say but alot of todays youth/collage students have no respect for anything or one, without going on and on it's safe to say that todays culture is alot differant then back when most of us were in collage or of collage age - BIG differance.
    most do what they want when they want and think it's ok to make thier own rules.
    If they are told stacking hammocks is not allowed then rest assured someone will be staking hammocks ect ect.
    It would also help if we could get some of these hammock companies to stop selling hammocks with rope suspentions, like Clark and Treklight,,
    I have even contacted some of them with my concerns for tree safety and was pretty much dismissed as some kind of tree hugging nut.
    Talk about not being able to see the forest thru the trees, Duh.
    Last edited by Zilla; 03-02-2016 at 15:54.

Hammock
    WL Lightowl/snipe, Dutch/hammocks
    Tarp
    Tadpole Bdaddy OMW
    Insulation
    WL Winter/ SS
    Suspension
    Hug/whoopie/Dutch
    Images
    My kid attends UNC Asheville (western North Carolina). I have seen kids hanging on campus....I think the school put up hammock poles around campus as well. Eno may have installed them??? They are headquartered in Asheville.The kids can rent all kinds of outdoor gear.
    https://recreation.unca.edu/gear-rental

This is a shame. Teach them how to use them properly and this wouldn't be an issue.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    It's sad to say but alot of todays youth/collage students have no respect for anything or one, without going on and on it's safe to say that todays culture is alot differant then back when most of us were in collage or of collage age - BIG differance.
    most do what they want when they want and think it's ok to make thier own rules.
    If they are told stacking hammocks is not allowed then rest assured someone will be staking hammocks ect ect.
    It would also help if we could get some of these hammock companies to stop selling hammocks with rope suspentions, like Clark and Treklight,,
    I have even contacted some of them with my concerns for tree safety and was pretty much dismissed as some kind of tree hugging nut.
    Talk about not being able to see the forest thru the trees, Duh.
    I've purchased the NX-150, and the NX-250. each order came with 2" straps. How many other brands do this ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I realize that on this forum, hanging in a hammock is a way of life, and so should be part of everyone's essential life skills, but that may not hold true for the general public.

I don't think it's fair to say that students are deliberately destructive. I'm sure some are, but in terms of responsible hanging, many simply don't know any better. I know I didn't. I used to hang my hammock by the river, and had never heard of a tree strap.

And yet this is also not really part of the college curriculum, either. I don't think it's fair to say that the universities are somehow responsible for teaching kids about how to hang in a hammock. They could try to set up rules on hammock use, but then they'd need to educate the staff and enforce the rules. And would that solve the problem? Probably not. Because very likely the use or lack of tree straps is a secondary issue. The primary issue being that you have a lot of people in a small amount of space with a lot of down time. I can't speak for everyone here, but I rarely hang between the same two trees, and when I do, it's often days or weeks between hanging times. I don't worry about damage to trees because I use my straps, and a few hours every few days isn't hurting anything, but on a college campus, you have a limited selection of hanging spots and a potentially large number of hangers. Even following all the rules could result in tree damage under those circumstances.

If there's really concern about tree damage, then I think a ban might be a reasonable solution. I like that some places have dealt with the issue by installing artificial hanging structures, but I certainly sympathize with places considering a ban.

Hammock
    Custom Dutch 8'x4'
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben Asym
    Insulation
    WM Everlite pod
    Suspension
    Simply 7/64
    Just the headline makes me mad. That's really cool that ENO put up some posts to hang from though. I often prefer man-made structures....but bending a sign post is probably the fastest way to get hammocks banned (not that i would hang on a little sign post).
    I can understand the ban in some ways, but around colleges i would imagine the high-tension slack lines do more damage. And golf discs! Have you ever seen the trees on the fairway at a disc golf park? It looks like a colony of zombie beavers attacked.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    What is true is perception is reality. Education to both the students and administrators of the schools is vital. I sell hammocks commercially and that is one of my most important tasks. I conduct hammock seminars for local college groups to educate people on being responsible when hanging. Just like LNT. The hammocks I sell come complete with 1" tree straps and I stress the idea of "Say Nope to Rope!"
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    I conduct hammock seminars for local college groups to educate people on being responsible when hanging. Just like LNT.
    I REALLY appreciate that. I wish more people did. Unfortunately everyone seems to be illiterate to LNT based on the stuff I come across when hiking. Some people just don't care, hence the collages banning them completely. Some probably see that as the only way. It's unfortunate.

Hammock
    Custom Dutch 8'x4'
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben Asym
    Insulation
    WM Everlite pod
    Suspension
    Simply 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    Education to both the students and administrators of the schools is vital. I sell hammocks commercially and that is one of my most important tasks. I conduct hammock seminars for local college groups to educate people on being responsible when hanging.
    That is really cool. Way to represent Iowa! (i lived in Fairfield, in the southeast corner, for 8 years).

I'm a firm believer in LNT, i'm not here saying "YEEEHAW, grip it and rip it, to heck with the trees". If i was at a park around people i would be in my casual hammock with the old ENO straps. My backpacking kit is a different story. I have yet to see any real evidence, first or second hand, that says straps are actually better for the trees. Again, i think they are important, but mostly for the image of hangers in general.

The only place i have seen a lot of hammocks set up is Liberty Park in Salk Lake, and all those kids used ENO straps because that's what is for sale. I bet the majority of casual hangers don't know how to tie knots well enough to hang with a simple rope. Which is kind awesome, actually.....i still love the ENO straps for that reason.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast