Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Trip Report: Glacier National Park - Hole in the Wall

I went to Glacier National Park with my wife and one of our friends. My wife and I took hammocks and this was to be our first trip hanging. We bought hammocks specifically to save weight for this adventure. I've got the Warbonnet Blackbird, she has a Yukon Woot Special, and we share a Kelty Noah 12 tarp.

We weren't quite sure how well we'd be able to hang at Hole in the Wall in Glacier National Park. All of my searching yielded zero results of anyone who'd ever taken hammocks there, and pictures of the allowed camp sites were limited. Being so high up the mountains I had big concerns that there would not be enough large trees in proximity capable of hanging from. I went, with my hammock, for science! And hoped for the best.

Our 37.4 mile journey began at Bowman Lake. The first night, 7 miles in at Head of Bowman Lake Campground has plenty of trees available for hanging. Especially with our 16' straps, we had no shortage of options. We selected one large tree and one 7" tree and strung up.

But when we got in the hammocks later that night, the 7" tree CRACKED at the base and tipped, and suddenly my butt was on the ground. Woah! Defective trees! Part of the issue was that we were hanging a little flatter than desireable given the distance between the trees, but that spot just worked best with a ground dweller with us too. So then we changed trees in the dark, which wasn't too bad.

Day 2 was an 8 mile hike with 2600ft elevation increase up to Hole in the Wall. Gorgeous views, spotted a grizzly bear, and was finally relieved to arrive at Hole in the Wall and find that there were numerous large trees to support hammocks. Yay!

And a couple of the other camp sites at Hole in the Wall too that I took pictures of just for this post. There were 2 other sites which also had trees large enough for hammocks, but with campers in them I didn't want to be weird taking photos of them and their tents.

Right after finishing dinner, it started to rain. HARD. And fierce wind to go along with it. We slept for 12 hours, listening to the rain and the wind flapping the Noah 12 tarp. But the tarp did it's job, and we stayed dry. And thank goodness we were hanging because there was a stream flowing under our hammocks and a tent would have been pretty wet underneath.

One side effect of all the rain was the gorgeous waterfalls the next morning. We packed up under the tarp, and just as we took down the tarp the rain stopped. Yay!

Thus began a 3rd day's hike another 1000ft up to Boulder Pass, and then 3000ft down to Upper Kintla Lake. The tamarack (larch) trees were turning golden up at that elevation (7400ft) and it was so beautiful. Like walking in a painting.

Finally arriving at Upper Kintla Lake campground, I was shocked to find that they have all of the camp sites immediately next to each other. There was maybe 15 feet between us and our neighbors. Ridiculous that with all that forest around they didn't spread things out a little more. But there were still plenty of places to hang.

And the same photo the next morning

We finished with a 12 mile hike out to the tail of Kintla Lake. Amazing and beautiful adventure, and great with hammocks.
    Last edited by rex8499; 09-25-2015 at 16:21.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Wow! Thanks for the report. What camera were you using?
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    nice report, thanks for sharing. any way you can have the pics show up in the post instead of links?

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    What camera were you using?
    Using a Nikon 5100D that I've had for a year. Still new to photography, but I'm figuring a few things out.

any way you can have the pics show up in the post instead of links?
    I'd love to, but somebody has to help me figure out how apparently because I spent 30 minutes trying and failed. Never had a problem on any other forums.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    What a great place for your first hang! Looks like y'all had a great time on your trip. Beautiful scenery and great looking hang sites.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I sent you a PM on getting the pics inserted.

The scenery is breathtaking. I've only backpacked at Glacier 1x but have really fond memories. Lucky that you can get over to this area!

And I am glad nobody was injured during the tree incident!
    Last edited by TallPaul; 09-25-2015 at 16:21.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    And I am glad nobody was injured during the tree incident!
    Yeah, me too. Wouldn't have been quite as amusing if the tree had come down on top of us. Not that it was big enough to be life threatening, but could have been painful injuries or damaged the gear.

I took another stab at figuring out photos on the test site you linked to me and finally found a format that worked.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Spectacular scenery. Glad that that hanging worked out for you all. Thanks for taking us along on what had to be a great trip.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Footer GE
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    Great report! Looks like an awesome trip and I was pleased to hear the Kelty 12 worked well as I just ordered one up yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Metabolized burger
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Incredible photos, and a great write up - thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast