Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

How warm can a 0 degree UQ go?

I finally have enough in my piggy bank for a good quality UQ. With winter coming, I was eyeing a nice 0 degree UQ. I like the idea of having one piece of equipment I COULD use for all situations if I had to. Someday I figure I will try my hand at making an UQ, so I might make a warmer weather quilt eventually...but maybe not. Right now my only UQ is a DIY Insultex monstrosity that gets me down to 40 degrees if I dress really warm. It is only 3/4 length, so I'm thinking stacking isn't really an option, right?

So, my question is, since the 0 degrees are realistically not THAT much heavier than other UQ's, if that's what I go with, will it work for a 50 degree night? How much of a pain is it to loosen it for venting to adjust for temps, carry the extra bulk, etc.?

I'm a cold sleeper, but even I end up kicking off the 0 degree TQ I have on a summer night (I'm in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so "summer" is a relative term).
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    The zero degree should do you just fine if you only want one under quilt. You sleep on a fully insulated bed and regulate with your choice of top cover. Rarely have I had to kick my twenty degree off to the side.
    If you don't like to summer camp I don't think its an issue.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Oh I love to summer camp. Winter camping I'm so-so on, but where I live, if I waited for 50 degree nights, I'd miss out on quite a few months of quality camping time! I honestly only camp with snow on the ground maybe 2 to 4 times a year. Of course, maybe I would if I had better gear...

I'm one of those oddballs that lives in the far north, but loves hot weather.

You're probably right. I'd be better off with a 0 degree UQ and getting different TQ's as money/DIY time allow.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Yes, the 0 will be good for your scenario and geographical location. Love the U.P.! You can just vent your top quilt on those 50 degree nights. If you are getting a 0 degree and plan to use it in the winter get a full length! I have been using the HG Phoenix 20 for the last 3 years. While it is awesome for backpacking you still need to use a foot area pad in the hammock as well. It always shifts around on me. The no fiddle factor of the full length quilt will go a long way keeping you warm.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    What you are describing is EXACTLY what I did. Last holiday season, my fiancé got me a full length 0 degree incubator as ONE QUILT TO RULE THEM ALL. I am literally in it right now and I just kicked off top covers, but the 0 isn't too warm, even in the low 70's with a very light breeze. If it does get too warm, then those are temps that the would be easy to create a simple, inexpensive, light solution bc it is wont require much to any insulation then. When it comes to an uq, I don't thInk heat comes into play as much as weight and bulk. COLD COMES INTO PLAY THOUGH. You can easily adjust the scenario with different top coverage. If like me, weight and bulk were not as much your driving concerns as much as being able to do as much as needed with one GREAT piece of gear, and then filling in the blanks over time and diy... then a full length zero is a great way to go.

Also, before I got the incubator, I used Syb's 0 teewah (smaller size quilt). I loved it and saw the appeal of bulk/weight. That being said, I really LOVE my no fiddle, all limbs in, full length and wouldn't change the decision for the life of me.

I Plan on making another diy quilt for warm weather from these Costco throws. For 20 bucks, not a bad summer backup to you r one quilt that will do virtually every scenario
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    I want two UQ's....a winter and a summer. So i got meself a -20*c UQ to start with and thats been fine in warmer weather.
    I'v used an opened out cheap childs indoor sleeping bag as a TQ down to nearly freezing point so far and its been great

Next year i'll have a light summer weight UQ but thats just for pack size and weight. The winter UQ would be perfectly fine in use

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I have a single quilt: Incubator 0, that I use year-round. I loosen it in the spring and tighten it in October. Easy.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Thanks guys. That makes my decision easy. 0 degree it is!

Robert Service

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a 20° and a 0° Incubator and I pretty much only use the 20°. How often do you think you would hang in temps lower than 20°? It only makes sense to go with a 0° if you will do winter camping at least 25% of the time. If you only need a 0° once or twice a year, you'd be much better off with a 20°, and add a pad if you go below 20°.

Have you thought about getting a custom 10° Incubator?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    An UQ is part of the entire system. Its performance can be enhanced or diminished by the other items in the system. I spent considerable time testing combinations of my gear items in successively colder temps to learn which combinations work well together, and which do not. This allowed me to not just determine an optimum system for me, but I now have more intimate knowledge of how my gear works in concert in a variety of situations. I recommend this for everyone instead of just attempting to survive on others experience about a single gear piece. The individuality and the other items in their system are paramount. Best part about testing gear combinations is the sleeping outside in a hammock. I am sure I got strange looks back when I did this while living in the city (suspended between the sole tree and an eye bolt in the garage).
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast