Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Exp zip, Yukon, Sluice
    Insulation
    Air pad
    Suspension
    ENO slap strap pro

Is an UQ really necessary???

I'll be finding out tomorrow night. I do not have an under quilt. As of today, I have no plans of getting one. I'm a 3-season camper, so it's typically warm enough at night. For my trip this weekend, the overnight temps will reach the low 50's. I have a HH Exped. zip hammock, stock tarp, sleeping bag, small air pad, and a large windshield sun reflector (I'll be using this for the first time). Theoretically, I should be okay. I'm bringing a space blanket just in case, figuring I could make an improvised UQ with it if I end up freezing my butt off.
    I'm thinking I'll be alright.
    Has anyone had a similar setup? Good? Bad?
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I've done it all but the inflatable. I found most inflatables too narrow. Closed cell foam pads are generally lighter and warmer plus if you get the right ones they are more flexible and they slip less.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started with a similar setup: HH Exped Asym Zip, ccf pad, and a 0* synthetic bag. I used that for a couple of years down to 22* F. That was the last night I used a pad.

I can't deal with the condensation that comes with pads. Some folks have no issues with condensation, but when the temp below the pad is 22* F and the temp inside the hammock is much warmer, then there will be condensation for me.

With underquilts, I don't have any condensation issues. So far I've been good down to -3* F or thereabouts with UQs. I think they're the way to go for me if I want to reach lower temps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    That will be a safe kit for those temps. It will have all the problems, already mentioned. Condensation for sure, and slippage sure, but you do move around in a hammock. When you do the pads won't.

This insulation package will save you cash out the gate, and also demonstrate all the drawbacks. In the end it will also teach you just how well UQ systems actually work.

It's also really nice to be able to sling half your insulation system outside of the shelter and still have it work. Just like in a tent, a hammock is more comfortable the more room you have to yourself. Just getting that jumble of inflatables, CCF, space blankets and sit pads, out of the inside of the hammock will be all the encouragement you'll soon need to upgrade.

Have fun, stay warm!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Images
    At that temp, you'll know pretty quickly if you're off your insulation.

I hope they aren't necessary. I have a double layered hammock and have put a heat reflective blanket between the layers and then used a heat reflective air mattress that slides into the back of my backcountry sleeping bag. That with long underwear has taken me very comfortably to mid 30's. The time of year I will start my AT thru hike it will be colder and I don't know if it will work into the low 20's but will try it. I just don't want to devote the space for an under quilt in my backpack.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    My 20 degree 3/4 UQ is way less bulky than my rolled up CCF pad. I went to an UQ mainly because I could get the rest of my gear inside the pack, without strapping stuff all over the outside.

On a thru hike of any length, I'd probably bite the bullet and, carry an UQ as my primary system, and drag a 3/4 length pad or inflatable, for shelters if required, or emergency g2g. I guess I don't mind the minimal weight penalty, just can't imagine wrestling pads and space blankets, around in a hammock, for six months on the trail.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Under insulation is necessary. Whether you use an uq, pads, or both is personal preference. All work. I use uqs in summer, both in fall/spring, and pads in winter. IMO most people erroneously focus on a single item (like under insulation) instead of looking at the entirety of their system, including site selection.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    HH Exp zip, Yukon, Sluice
    Insulation
    Air pad
    Suspension
    ENO slap strap pro
    I'm back from camping. The windshield sun reflector is very impressive. I didn't believe it would work as well as it did, but it greatly exceeded my expectations. For $2, it's easily the best bang-for-buck item in my kit.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I used one of those and a Mt Washington pad for years.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast