Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    I hope they aren't necessary. I have a double layered hammock and have put a heat reflective blanket between the layers and then used a heat reflective air mattress that slides into the back of my backcountry sleeping bag. That with long underwear has taken me very comfortably to mid 30's. The time of year I will start my AT thru hike it will be colder and I don't know if it will work into the low 20's but will try it. I just don't want to devote the space for an under quilt in my backpack.
    Devote space for an UQ? Sounds like you would save space with an UQ. You could lose the DL hammock, the pad, windshield reflector, and space blanket and immediately diminish weight and volume.

When I dumped the ccf pad for a 20* UQ, I couldn't believe how much space I saved.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm curious to this as well, I see the usual recommendations for bottom insulation for temps under 70...

I grew up in the north, I can't sleep well if its over 70. at home in bed, I'm continually on the move for the cooler part of the bed. In my tent, I've usually got at least one leg out of my sleeping bag. I am a walking/talking nuclear reactor of body heat.

Is there anybody else out there like this? at what temp do I realistically need to start considering an underquilt? I know the best answer is to get out there and try...but I'm trying to research, before I pull the trigger

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    70 is where almost everyone does need under insulation. Some can go lower but your bed and the ground are not good comparisons as you are not subject to convective cooling like you are when in a hammock. The only way to know your comfort is to get out and try but keep in mind that factors like humidity, metabolism, and air low that all change night to night and even throughout each night will be factors as well.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffda View Post
    I'm curious to this as well, I see the usual recommendations for bottom insulation for temps under 70...

I grew up in the north, I can't sleep well if its over 70. at home in bed, I'm continually on the move for the cooler part of the bed. In my tent, I've usually got at least one leg out of my sleeping bag. I am a walking/talking nuclear reactor of body heat.

Is there anybody else out there like this? at what temp do I realistically need to start considering an underquilt? I know the best answer is to get out there and try...but I'm trying to research, before I pull the trigger
    I am a hot natured person as well. I like my bedroom well under 70 all year. With that said I still use an uq under 70 degrees. I went out a couple of weekends ago and it dipped to 50. I was sweating under my apex 5.0 tq and uq but as soon as I vented the uq I was cold. Even last weekend when it was around 60 I still had my uq on and could really tell the difference when it was vented ( my kids found it funny to pull down on each other's uq and mine).
    This isn't to say there aren't other methods to keep heat in. I just don't see a scenario where no under insulation would be an option below about 70.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffda View Post

The only way to find out for YOU, is to get out and try it. Experience is the best teacher. And you get to set up and test your gear!!! Which usually involves a nap!

Hammock
    War Bonnet Blackbird
    One of the coldest nights I ever spent outdoors, it was 55 degrees with a steady but light breeze, and I had no under quilt or pad. I had only a 40 sleeping bag. The compression kept my backside so cold that I shivered all night.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight
    Insulation
    Burrow 40, HH SS
    Suspension
    Stock, Cinch

Is an UQ really necessary???

Wife and I were out this weekend. A low of 61 at 7 am. Cold front moving in with 5-10 mph winds

Setup 1:
    HH Hyperlight with 15 degree bag and reflective bubble pad. No thermals worn. Noticeable condensation on sleeping bag.

Setup 2:
    HH Hyperlight with HH 4 Season (no bubble pad) Closed-Cell foam pad and 40 degree sleeping bag used as a top quilt. No thermals worn. Noticeable condensation on Closed Cell foam pad.

Overall thoughts wife toasty warm but excessive condensation.

I was warm except for when I pull my bag off of myself while changing positions. Some condensation but less than reflective bubble pad.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by tflaris; 10-18-2015 at 20:40.

I use the blue walmart CCF to the low 40's comfortably.

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    I don't think an underquilt is necessary. I hung for years using all sorts of gear to stay warm. And then I discovered the humble UQ. I have never looked back. The initial cash out lay was relatively high but the comfort and simplicity of my hang more then makes up for it. I don't have to worry about what combination I am going to use this time, I just pack both quilts and go. As has already be stated, only you can make the final decision as to what works for you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Overall thoughts wife toasty warm but excessive condensation.
    I can imagine having a wife with excessive condensation could be a serious problem...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast