Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    I saw that. I have the 12 and am considering (adding) the 9, as I have since learned:

- According to ultimate hang calculator, the SBP is probably about 108" when hung. In A-frame, the Noah's 12 is only about 122" across. That leaves just 7 inches overhang, near the minimum recommended (i.e., if you don't center it perfectly, one side is likely to be at or below the minimum)
    - the A-frame does not really have a seam ridgeline ... i.e., the Noahs only have a seam on the diagonal/diamond.
    - the tie-out points for the Noahs are not as reinforced along the sides (as in A-frame use) as they are in the corners (diamond)

Could be a good spare for a friend who needs one/wants to try, or maybe good for fair weather use.

The 12 seems to have these advantages:
    - protection from driving rain (avoidable if you're a weekend warrior rather than a backpacker)
    - greater enclosure for winter use.

Assuming fair weather expected, how low temps (or windchill) would the 9 be good for?

Can you fit 2 hammocks under the 9 if using a 3-tree configuration?

Thanks

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    The 12 seems to have these advantages:
    - protection from driving rain
    Care to elaborate on that? Taffeta is a looser weave than other tarp fabrics. Coatings can be inconsistent. SilNy has the silicone forced into the fabric under pressure, which is a much better process and thus should be superior at stopping a driving rain.

I ask because my Chinook is also coated taffeta and I have watched several hours of hard driving rain in 20-30mph winds force water through the tarp.

Did I have it pitched too tight? Maybe. The windward side was pitched as tight as I could get it by hand (pulling on the guyline while it was around the stake, no trucker's hitch or other mechanical advantage). The leeward side was pitched slightly more loosely and had 1/3 as much water forced through. But then it got almost none of the force of the wind either. The disparity in the amount of water on each side of the inside of the tarp is the primary reason I believe rain was forced through the fabric.

Would I have been better off pitching with the wind rather than across it? Maybe. Seems like that would minimize rain driven through the tarp, or at least confine it to the doors only. Wasn't an option this time but I think I will try that one of these times.

Do those conditions exceed "normal use"? Maybe. However around here such will be encountered several times each year so I need to be prepared for it.

Bottom line: Did the Chinook keep me and my gear dry? Yup. Water beaded up on the inside of the tarp yet never touched me or my gear. For a light enough and packable enough (for me) tarp with doors on one end that cost $41 shipped to my door, the Chinook 12'x9-1/2' is pretty tough to beat.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic
    Suspension
    Carbiners & Rings
    I ordered a 12... Pretty looking forward to using it in a couple of weeks!!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was going to get a 12', but after shipping and tax it's close to Amazon Prime price. I'll probably just stick with them.

But more importantly, do you think the 12' would be enough coverage just for a "base camp" shelter for 2 people to sit under with camp chairs? I've been using a cheap brown poly tarp but they are hard to get nice and taut.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Care to elaborate on that?
    by "seems to", I simply meant the aggregation of opinion here on HF and other reviews I've read of it.

by "protection from driving rain" I meant that the side coverage of an A-Frame pitched tarp tends to be more complete than the side coverage of a diamond pitched tarp.

Cook for your Chinook, though! I'll keep that one in mind next time I'm in the market.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    I agree that this is a good deal, but not a great one...

for another $13 (plus shipping, but not taxes unless you live in NC), you can get a hex 12 tarp kit from Ripstop and have a much better and lighter tarp. Yes, there is a "little" sweat equity involved (OK, maybe great fear of messing up a cut or a french seam) but it will be yours.

http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/hex-tarp-kit
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Agreed, but it's a great deal for a back up or friend to use. And as much I LOVE DIY I am also
    Realizing the extreme value of my time! So I'll get the kit and loan the friend the not as nice tarp once I find a free evening in my life to make it! Thanks for the link did not know about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter_Ken View Post
    I agree that this is a good deal, but not a great one...

for another $13 (plus shipping, but not taxes unless you live in NC), you can get a hex 12 tarp kit from Ripstop and have a much better and lighter tarp. Yes, there is a "little" sweat equity involved (OK, maybe great fear of messing up a cut or a french seam) but it will be yours.

http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/hex-tarp-kit
    www.prestonspringer.com

“A dead thing goes with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    Good point about the loaner use. Don't know if I would want to loan a friend, even a good friend, my superfly or DIY tarp.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Got a 12', should be good for car camping and some light backpacking. Thanks for the heads up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast