XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    16 works well for a double hang, passing this along to several friends.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    16 works well for a double hang, passing this along to several friends.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    YUP!!!!

IMG_4705.jpgIMG_4703.jpgIMG_4703.jpgIMG_4703.jpg
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Images
    I considered getting one of these.

But I just finished a RSBTR hex tarp, and I'm considering making another one of those. I think I'd rather put in the sweat equity for another silpoly (or silnylon) tarp.

Do u have pictures of the kelty 12

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    by "seems to", I simply meant the aggregation of opinion here on HF and other reviews I've read of it.
    Ah. Since you said you have one and your assertion seemed squishy, was wondering what experiences you've had. I'm still trying to figure out how best to deal with hard driving rain for hours. Done fine so far yet have that ineffable feeling like I'm missing something.

That is one nice thing about cheap poly tarps: they flat out ignore weather.
    by "protection from driving rain" I meant that the side coverage of an A-Frame pitched tarp tends to be more complete than the side coverage of a diamond pitched tarp.
    Used to use a diamond. Never again!!
    Cool for your Chinook, though! I'll keep that one in mind next time I'm in the market.
    I would definitely buy the Chinook 12'x9-1/2' again. Bought the Chinook 14'x12' for winter use (should be able to close both doors and have an easier time changing under it) but haven't used it enough yet to have an informed opinion.

Thanks for the reply!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Used to use a diamond. Never again!!
    I would definitely buy the Chinook 12'x9-1/2' again.
    I'm disappointed to hear you had issues with a diamond hang. It was my understanding that if you hang it fairly low relative to your hammock, rain isn't really an issue except in the most severe weather when you're dealing with sideways-blown rain. Outside of backpacking for a 5+ days, when you really can't predict severe weather, I don't know if it would be an issue ... because if severe weather were expected, I'd probably postpone my campout.

So, since you don't like a diamond hang, and the Chinook even asym is going to be really similar to a diamond hang (based on my experience with an 8x10 blue tarp) do you hang the above Chinook in A-frame? Is the 9.5' your tarp ridgeline? That would be too short for my SBP. If the 12' is your tarp ridgeline, don't you have the similar issues with coverage (but from the lowest point of your hammock rather than the ends)? Thanks. Just curious.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I'm disappointed to hear you had issues with a diamond hang. It was my understanding that if you hang it fairly low relative to your hammock, rain isn't really an issue except in the most severe weather when you're dealing with sideways-blown rain. Outside of backpacking for a 5+ days, when you really can't predict severe weather, I don't know if it would be an issue ... because if severe weather were expected, I'd probably postpone my campout.

So, since you don't like a diamond hang, and the Chinook even asym is going to be really similar to a diamond hang (based on my experience with an 8x10 blue tarp) do you hang the above Chinook in A-frame? Is the 9.5' your tarp ridgeline? That would be too short for my SBP. If the 12' is your tarp ridgeline, don't you have the similar issues with coverage (but from the lowest point of your hammock rather than the ends)? Thanks. Just curious.
    The Chinook is a rectangular tarp. You'd use the 12' dimension as the tarp RL, and it'd look much like Warbonnet Superfly, Wilderness Logics Old Man Winter, or Simply Light Designs Winter Haven, but without any cat cuts or strange cuts on the ends for doors (though you can still close the ends as doors). Here's a picture from Google via here:

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    What Mychal said is correct. 12' has always been the ridgeline for me with the 12'x9-1/2' and pitch it A-frame. I have to put the hammock a lil lower than I like (makes getting out a lil more fun) but I have been able to pitch that tarp with both sides right on the ground in bad weather. Most of my 'mocks are 11', some have a lot of stretch and often I am in trees that sway a bit. Balancing all of those factors makes it a lil more interesting! Anyhow, takes a lil fussing so the doors (one end only) can be closed. Haven't tried closing both ends yet on that tarp. Probably need to add another set of tie outs for that.

Have the 12'x14' Chinook for winter so soon I'll be figuring that one out. Probably will close both doors on that tarp, or at least three of the four. Have hung the 14' both with a 14' RL and a 12' RL. Just messing in the yard but worked well either way. Pitched it with the 14' as the ridgeline the stormy night I spoke about earlier and it worked fine. A lot of people seem to be worried about a tarp being too long. I haven't found it to be a problem. I prefer a good 12"-18" overhang over each end of the hammock.

As to diamonds, started out in a hammock with a cheap poly 8'x10' that I pitched diamond after decades of tent camping. I had many storms where the wind and rain coverage was inadequate. Got cold, got wet, not a happy camper. When I get the chance to get outdoors, I'm not bailing. That time is too precious to me. Plus, I'm Old School with decades of experience in making do. I find a way. Some people like their diamond pitched tarps. HYOH. IMHO diamonds are fine in fair weather but I learned the hard way not to trust them in foul.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Here are some of the threads that were instrumental in my going with Chinooks. They shared some really nice pics showing a variety angles. Thanks guys!!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d-Chinook-Tarp

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...7-Chinook-Tarp

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...9-6-My-Opinion

Here are great illustrations of coverages with hex vs diamond pitches using various sized tarps. Caught my eye while I was planning on just getting a much bigger tarp and still pitching diamond style. Seemed like back then diamonds were all the rage. Seems like nowadays hex/rectangular have come into their own. Might just be my perception though.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...s-Diamond-Tarp

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Just a comment on the bit about waterproofing and this tarp. My GF picked up one to use as her first tarp and we took it to Grayson this weekend. I took her through pre treating gear with silicone spray and permetherine several weeks ago. Her Kelty Noah, 12 foot, got two coats of silicone spray outside and one inside and was seam sealed.
    It rained NON STOP while we were at Grayson. Pretty good winds too. This tarp shrugged it off. . I will mention that I had her put self tensioning lines on it, probably helped with the wind.
    It may not be the best for backpacking but, for car camping, I have no complaints.
    Just my two cents worth.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast