WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, UQ Zepp
    Suspension
    Buckle

Synthetic top - and under-quilts?

Hi everyone - I have been a member of the forum for a few months here but didn't have much to post about - until now!

I am heading out on a fairly fantastic adventure this next summer. Ever heard of the R2AK? It's a boat race from Port Townsend, WA to Ketchikan, AK. I am going to take my WB Ridgerunner with me as I am going to need a good night's sleep after rowing all day.

My purpose for writing is to pick your brains about insulation. I have wonderfully warm insulators: Hammock Gear top quilt and my under quilt from Underground Quilts. I am worried about the wet-when-warm factor precisely. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with synthetic top- and under-quilts. Or if you have suggestions for keeping my down (all pertex/water-resistant fills and shells I believe) not "damp" while in the coastal regions.

Thanks in advance for all those who have time to reply.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' - Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    WL OMW or Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/kevlar
    Images
    I would think roll top dry bags would keep them dry during transit, works for my canoe trips. My concern would be, given the length of the race, if they get damp at night while in use from any of the weather or body warmth/condensation issues, and then you get up the next day to hit the water and pack them up right away, when would they get some drying time? I have HG quilts and I like them to air out everyday weather permitting. Would there be time during your "down" time to air them a little? I also have a New River under quilt (synthetic) but I would have the same concern after several days with minimal airing out time.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Personally I would not worry about the treated down....takes a whole lot of wet to wet it out.

For the most part keeping dew and condensation off the quilts at night and into dry bags by day with a airing here and there.....there should be no issues at all.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    If you decide to go synthetic, check out Arrowhead. Love my Jarbidge and New River UQ.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, UQ Zepp
    Suspension
    Buckle
    Thanks Papa K, The Tree Frog and Bkrgi - I think I'll stick with my down then. I was mostly concerned with the dampness of the coast and also, you (probably Papa K and Bkrgi) know how damp it can get it in the PNW when it rains on end around here. Knowing though that you would be concerned with your synthetics as well makes me think I can stick with what I have. The tq and uq will be in drybags (is there a personal favorite brand of yours?) during the day. And Papa K you are correct, I am not sure how much drying time I will have. Maybe if there's a calm sunny day at sea I could lay one out but goodness gracious if that bag got wet I would be in big trouble. There's always drying things over a fire at night but that seems dangerous as well. Hmmm...maybe I should just stay home.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm a big fan of down insulation, but.............if weight and bulk arn't a consideration, synthetic does have a few advantages! (super easy to wash, and dry out if it gets wet. )
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Synthetic top - and under-quilts?

I think I would do a simulation this winter. During a long stretch of rainy, foggy weather, preferably close to/on the Sound (on your tug?), hang it outside all night (sleep in it if you can) and stuff it in a dry bag by day. See how it does over several weeks (or your estimated race duration). I think the R2AK people got lucky this year with the weather but who knows how next year's race will go.

I've done the Inside Passage twice from Anacortes up and back to Juneau and Skagway. It was in a 38' boat, once over 3 weeks and once in 4 weeks. Even in the boat with the heat on, bedding can get and stay damp when the weather is bad (but I'm sure you know this). At least in a bunk, it has a chance to dry out but it won't in a dry bag. I would do the test but if you can't, I'd consider synthetic. There is no point risking hypothermia when you are in the middle of nowhere.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' - Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    WL OMW or Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/kevlar
    Images
    hc --I have some older NRS bags that are heavy duty, meant for river rafting. I recently go some sea to summit bags for some lighter weight bags. All seal fine when rolled correctly and I have tested in tub to ensure they stay dry- When you do the race you will have to keep us up to date-Best of luck!!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I Agree with Freestone in that do as much testing as you can to better manage moisture so you know how your gear is going to behave.
    Down will push moisture out very easily with you as the heat source at night so managing to keep fog/dew/condensation off the outside of the quilts will be priority and that is something to work on...just a good reason to go hang too.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I use the heavy vinyl roll top dry gas for canoe trips. My stuff has stayed dry through seven days of rain. Everyone in tents had wet gear, but all of mine was fine.

Don't put your tarp or rain gear in the dry bag obviously...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast