ENO Tarp
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies and MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    I just cut a 12' blank to sew up this weekend. Yours looks tremendous
    Thanks!

I weighed the hammock with the suspension and ASR and it came out to 23 oz, which is not that surprising given how much material is there. I will take the extra weight for the comfort. I do wonder if I could take this down to 11' and still keep it very comfortable.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bourbonrepository View Post
    Thanks!

I weighed the hammock with the suspension and ASR and it came out to 23 oz, which is not that surprising given how much material is there. I will take the extra weight for the comfort. I do wonder if I could take this down to 11' and still keep it very comfortable.
    One of the things about DIY I like is that I can have a number of different hammocks to fit my need at that moment. If I want a 12' hammock for pure luxury I can. I can also have a 9' for ultra portability and weight savings, or anything in between.

23 oz for isn't that bad really considering the width and length of your hammock! I am sure you will enjoy it tremendously.

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I made a HyperD XL 11' hammock (~70" wide after finishing). With an adjustable structural ridgeline and a couple of 8" amsteel continuous loops, it weighs in around 13 ounces. Pretty fantastic weight considering how big it is.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bourbonrepository View Post
    Thanks!

I did a 12 footer last year, I think it was 1.9 RS, and immediately shortened it to 11 foot. The 12 foot is indeed impressive and super comfy, but I found it impractical. Trying to find trees at the right distance and getting the tree huggers high enough for a good hang was a pain. By going to to 11 I think I found a good balance. FYI I am 6'2" ~310lbs

I recently finished a 10.5 footer with integrated bugnet made from a cammo 1.6 Hyper-D. I think it's my best one yet, though sadly I need to build a new one, as I tore the edge on my 5th hang. I know why though. I created an engineering defect when I sewed the zipper on. I wanted the zipper pulls to end for both zippers (removable) to be in the middle so I could get to the easy when inside the hammock. What I did not factor in is the zipper is then focusing all the edge tension I add when getting in and out on that small gap between the zipper ends. I think I can fix this simply by adding a bit of grosgain ad that point to spread that tension across the gap.

I am on my 20th build now, my next is a bridge hammock based on Hikerdad's videos, out of that same cammo 1.6 Hyper-D. Yes they are a lot like Tattoos or viruses, once you've caught the bug....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12