Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Love the look of the UQ posted by the OP. I know one of these isn't going to be enough for low temps, but what if two or three were stacked. I have see where another was placed diagonally but is it as simple as sewing three together?
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by jscudds View Post
    anyone have a sku number for this down throw? looks like it might not be available at Costco in Canada
    Above the barcode it says ITEM# 638823
    Barcode is 7 88904 00112 4

Company name Blue Ridge Home Fashions, Inc.
    15761 Tapia St
    Irwindale, CA 91706
    Tel 800-971-2677

RN91862
    Made in China

Care instructions: Machine washable, see label for details.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    In a pinch, you can order off Amazon. Click here: Double Diamond
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    My son and I use no-sew PLUGs but I've been debating between making a snugpack jungle blanket or throw/converted sleeping back down uq. Anyone have both and know how they compare (temp, weight, compression)?

No Costco near me and wondering if there is anywhere besides Amazon to pick one up? Amazon is twice the price.

I'm looking for something warmer and ideally smaller/compressible than PLUG but still modestly priced. Sewing cord lock channels I can handle and don't want a full diy and need to make baffles.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitter
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Costco in Montgomery, AL has a bunch of them.

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    I took my quilts down to 42° this morning wearing wool socks, polypro pants under shorts, a T-shirt and hoodie and fleece hat. I felt the occasional cool spot under me (nothing uncomfortable), but when I'd stick my hand there it was warm, sort of like the "phantom" cool spots I've seen others mention. I needed to water a tree about 4am and decided to come inside. When I got up, I noticed my UQ was hanging a little low, so that may explain the cool spots.

My TQ is also a Costco Down throw and I never got the slightest bit cold from it. I made it by sewing a footbox on the bottom and adding 3 rows, from another throw, to the top. The footbox was made by folding the sides to the middle, sewing along the bottom, and then sewing up the new vertical seam about ~20".

The only time I was really uncomfortable was when my face was uncovered. The fleece hat I wore has an attached facemask, but it was too tight for my liking. I need to experiment with some of my other hats/masks.

I also had my Kelty Noah's 12 up, but it was in a modified "porch mode", so not sure that it provided any warmth. I like setting it up this way, so I can still see a lot of the stars/sky.

1014151036.jpg

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    xenon sil diy
    Insulation
    pad n' mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopies n' webbin
    I made my uq by folding the throw over to get a 35x60 rectangle and then just sewed on some grosgrain loops down the ends and the edges and ran shock cord thru it. On the folded side i just ran some shock cord thru the inside of the throw nothing crazy and nothing tbat can keep it from not being used as a throw. Took it camping last weekend but it was pouring rain and i didnt bother putting it on the hammock. So as of right now i have yet to test it out. But i think it has promise.

These Quilts are great(I have 2 of them) and sleep in my Hammock every night here in the Desert in Az. As a top quilt or wrap around, I find them good down to 60F. Below that, they could use more loft FWIW.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I tested out my quilts for the first time this weekend and the temps were C-O-L-D-!
    Friday night got down to 29* and was pretty windy and Saturday night dropped to 27* with snow and sleet.

Friday night I set things up and I wore flannel pants a thermal t-shirt, wool socks and an UnderArmour sweatshirt. In the hammock I just used the Costco quilts and a fleece blanket. I was chilly but not cold and not too chilly to sleep fairly well.

Saturday night I added a CCF pad to the hammock and wore comparible clothing. I was very comfortable.

I would say these are probably 40* quilts, but it's nice to know that they are still useful when the temps drop significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtngeronimo View Post
    Yeah, grosgrain is a little stiff for a full closure cinch. It works ok on the ends of my Uq because I don't have to go for full closure.

If I was to do it again I would use something lighter like twill tape or just fold a hem and channel the ends without an edge binder.

On another note, I used 7/8" grosgrain and it is a little tight getting the cord to feed and run smoothly. A wider tape would be much better.
    Have you tested your design out yet? i'm curious how the, what appears to be, low sides work at keeping the cold out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast