Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Looks great.

I don't have a Costco membership but hoping to get a buddy to pick me up a few when/if the Costco here gets them and I can get them to go. Fingers crossed.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    I made my UQ pretty much like the OP with a few differences. Instead of a full lengthwise channel I just have grosgrain loops every 8-12" along the side. That doesn't give much friction so to keep it extended I have a prussik loop at each corner.

One quilt isn't enough for me below 60-65 (with wind), so I took my other quilt, folded it in half, put grosgrain loops on all the corners and tied it onto the above UQ diagonally. It rests between the UQ and the hammock. Testing to about 35-40 tomorrow night.

IMG_20150920_122400751.jpgIMG_20150917_221940660.jpg
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBBXLC single layer in Multicam
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20* HG TQ/Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Depends on the day
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    I made my UQ pretty much like the OP with a few differences. Instead of a full lengthwise channel I just have grosgrain loops every 8-12" along the side. That doesn't give much friction so to keep it extended I have a prussik loop at each corner.

One quilt isn't enough for me below 60-65 (with wind), so I took my other quilt, folded it in half, put grosgrain loops on all the corners and tied it onto the above UQ diagonally. It rests between the UQ and the hammock. Testing to about 35-40 tomorrow night.

I appreciate the folded paper model; it really helped me understand your description. Y'all are giving me some great ideas on what to do with the trio of throws that I picked up. These UQs are looking very, very nice!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I got one of these throws (to start; prob gonna pick up more). Are you guys using this as a single layer UQ? I was thinking of folding this in half, like a PLUQ, and making a warmer, smaller, double layered quilt. Not sure if that is too narrow, or if it will kinda be like a Teewah UQ in dimensions. I think the overall size of this throw is 70 by 60in, and the fill is 700fp. However, I think it is an 80/20 blend of down to feathers. Not very stuffed, but I find it to be warm as a throw. So far, I have not altered it, and I have been lying with it as a light top blanket in the hammock on these warmer fall days.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    I like the look of that raftingtigger! I was trying to figure out a way to add another throw to mine in case I wanted to go to lower temps. I was fine in mine @ 62° last night with only a single layer and I think I could go another 10° without issue. I'm usually a warm sleeper (basically, I'm always warm).

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    I got one of these throws (to start; prob gonna pick up more). Are you guys using this as a single layer UQ? I was thinking of folding this in half, like a PLUQ, and making a warmer, smaller, double layered quilt. Not sure if that is too narrow, or if it will kinda be like a Teewah UQ in dimensions. I think the overall size of this throw is 70 by 60in, and the fill is 700fp. However, I think it is an 80/20 blend of down to feathers. Not very stuffed, but I find it to be warm as a throw. So far, I have not altered it, and I have been lying with it as a light top blanket in the hammock on these warmer fall days.
    I went with the single layer because I'm 6'2" and wanted a full length UQ. Not sure where the 80/20 down/feathers comes from (I've seen those numbers mentioned in another thread) but there's nothing on the sleeve or tags that mentions those numbers. I felt around on mine and can't feel any feathers (no hard quills). I have noticed that some of the squares are overstuffed and others have almost 0 down, so QC can be iffy.

I just picked up 4 more today!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    I grabbed a bunch tonight, thanks for the write up!
    www.prestonspringer.com

“A dead thing goes with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post

Looking good.

Great tip on the prussik at each corner loop. I've been messing around with a sleeping bag UQ, although I haven't modified it yet, and with the bag just "hung" over the shock cord it does bunch up in the middle. It's better when your in it and does stay in place. I will keep this tip in mind for preventing the bunching.

I just completed my Costco quilt to UQ conversion. A big thank you goes out to Ham Mocker who made the initial purchase and shipped this to me, as well as to others, for cost and asked nothing for her time in doing so.

I decided to cut this down and attach the remnant to the center to provide greater insulation for my core.

image.jpg

I ran a seam parallel to an existing seam on the long side and cut in between to keep both sides sealed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I then aligned the smaller panel on top of the main quilt, folded the rough edge under and stitched them together along an existing row as close as I could. The cutoff section is now narrower when lined up to the main baffles because of the seam cut and fold. This has the advantage of not compressing the bottom layer when aligned and sewed to the main quilt baffles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I did a search here on the forum to find out about bias tape and grosgrain and found the DIY tutorial on making this edge binder jig.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I channeled the ends and sides for shock cord. I will add some line locks or such later to tension the sides.

image.jpg

image.jpg

(Let me know if the pics look compressed. They are downloaded from my iPad which can do funny things with pics)
    Last edited by Mtngeronimo; 09-28-2015 at 21:50.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Tried making my quilt into a TQ Friday night and failed pretty miserably. Used grossgrain on the bottom to sew a channel on that I then ran shock cord through. Tried to cinch up the footbox and the grossgrain was way too stiff to cinch up...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast