Hey guys, especially you guys in Chicago. Im getting back into hammock camping and living in the city of chicago, has its difficulties trying to find a short weekend place to hammock camp. But this year the Cook County Forest Preserves have opened up camping sites. On their website http://fpdcc.com/camping they have a few options.

Camp Bullfrog Lake in Willowsprings.
Camp Dan Beard in Northbrook
Camp Reinberg in Palatine
Camp Shabbona in South Holland
Camp Sullivan in Oak Forest

Now these places aren't even close to the grandeur as the other places in Wisconsin or Indiana. They're mainly geared towards probably new campers with the tent gravel sites and cabins. When I mentioned to them that I use a hammock, I just got blank stares. But, they just opened and the facilities are really really clean..and they have some programming stuff for kids, and they let me hang the hammock.

I went to two places so far the one in Palatine and S. Holland. If you're not that experienced in hammock camping and/or want to get away from Chicago at less than a 30 min drive, than these places will give you a chance to hang. Both times it rained hard, but I got to test out my setups. I plan to tour all of these sites this year and some of them are year round.