Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images

Question RFC - DIY Hammock Planning

I am planning a DIY hammock. I have been researching fabrics & mods and would like feedback to help me along.

Requirements

User Build: 6'3" tall, 275 lbs

Objective: I am aiming for comfort and durability. I would prefer for the hammock to support 400 lbs or better in case my wife or children want to join me. I will tend towards high value, meaning I don't mind spending more for better results, but want to avoid spending more where there is little gain.

Needs: Given my build and case studies from other users, I feel I should shoot for a long, wide, double layer hammock. Because I am in the south, I also need to consider bug net options.

Specification: 12" long, 6' wide, double 1.6oz nylon.

Hammock Fabric: The leading fabric on my list (and the catalyst for my current specifications) is the HyperD XL from RipStopByTheRoll (1.6oz 40D 72" @ $6.95/yd).

Bug Net Fabric: Noseeum Mesh from RipStopByTheRoll (0.9oz 20D 54" @ $3.00/yd).

---------------------------------------------------

Fabric Questions

FQ1: Is the quality of HyperD worth the extra cost over standard nylon options?

FQ2: HyperD XL is attractive because it is 72" wide. The widest I have found otherwise is 67.5" wide (HEX70 XL - 2.2oz 70D @5.50/yd), and standard 60" wide (Nylon - 1.9oz 70D @ $3.85/yd or HyperD - 1.6oz 40D @ $5.50). Have I missed some options without having to add side panels? Or is 72" really overkill?

FQ3: I mentioned HEX70 XL as an alternative. Is this fabric a good choice for a hammock (softness/durability balance)? How much weight could it safely/comfortably take at 2.2oz (could I get away with 1 layer)?

FQ4: It seems that the 0.9oz Noseem Mesh would be sufficient for my needs. There is smaller, but it seems the only advantage is to go ultralight. Does this seem correct?

General Questions

GQ1: My fabric selections are pretty pricey since I am having to go double layer to support my build. $6.95 (HyperD XL) x 8 yds = $55.60; $3.00 (Noseem Mesh) x 8 yds = $24.00; $79.60 (Total). Any suggestions on where I might improve value, or is this realistic?

GQ2: If I were to pair 2 fabrics for the different layers to save some money, how might the pairing impact each other (e.g. HyperD for inner layer with standard nylon as outer layer).

GQ3: Besides the basic hammock body construction and suspension attachment, what are some common build options to consider? I already have Knotty's stretch-side mod on my radar. I am particularly interested in ideas on storing gear while in the hammock. My preference would be to avoid mods that force a particular left or right lay.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I would go with a single layer of the HEX70 XL or something similar. Kyle at RSBTR has said it is easily rated for 400 lbs, and it is wider than the standard roll. Dutch has Hexon 2.4, which is rated at 400 lbs. In my opinion, these specialty fabrics have a better feel than your standard ripstop, especially a heavy ripstop. I have not felt the HEX70 as it is literally brand new, but I have Hexon 1.6 and it feels very similar to a comfy cotton t-shirt.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

RFC - DIY Hammock Planning

Welcome to the forum, troyji. It looks like you have done a good job with your research.

Cholla28 might be on to something as far as a single layer of Hex70. It will help with the humid conditions vs a double layer of 1.6. I don't think you will miss the little bit of extra width. Your ENO double nest is only 10' long. As you go to a 11' or 12' hammock, comfort increases without the need to go so wide (for most people). A 12' is going to limit your tarp options, but many people are ok with that limitation. 11' seems to be the most popular these days.

As far as the Hex70 2.2 vs the HyperD 1.6, they are both great. The Hex70 feels more cotton-like. The HyperD is smoother.

If you are set on a double layer, there are some wide regular rip stop nylon 1.0 and 1.1 fabrics available. You could use that as your inner. Some will say that a double will help with mosquitoes biting from the bottom. I treat my hammocks with permethrin and don't have issues with single layers.

0.9 noseeum is fine and more durable than the lighter weight. If you are goo to make an integrated net with zipper, I would go with 0.9 for durability. If you are going to make a Fronkey style net, go lighter than 0.9 for breathability. A Fronkey doesn't need to be as durable because no zipper means less stress on the fabric.

As far as having the wife and kids in there...my opinion is that hammocks are great for one person. Things change drastically with more than one because it is a dynamic sleep system-every move changes the lay. HYOH, though.

For gear storage, most of us make a ridgeline and hang stuff from it in some fashion. There are some fancier options (peak storage at the head-end is nice)

Try to get to a group hang and try out some hammocks.

Finally, consider getting rid of the ropes for your suspension. Most of us use 1" wide straps made of poly or Kevlar. It's better for the tree.

Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by Foxpoop; 09-21-2015 at 07:49.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It's very hard to say much about HEX70 as a hammock fabric yet, as it only came out last week. It's quite possible that there are literally 0 hammocks in existence made out of it yet, though somebody might have knocked one out over the weekend. I got some samples of the PU coated version, as I plan on making a backpack from it.

HyperD feels nicer and is stronger than a standard 1.6oz ripstop. Whether the extra width of the HyperD XL is worth it or not is entirely a personal decision. I don't find the wider fabrics to be more comfortable.

The one other possible advantage of going with, say, NS50 instead of standard noseeum mesh is that NS50 is wider, and depending on your bug net design this could result in cutting the amount of fabric you need to order in half.

I believe (though could be wrong) that all hammock designs with an integrated bug net force you into a left or right lay, so you'll want to do a separate net. Knotty mod is good, but the stretchable footbox mod is better. It gives you the same advantages as knotty mod, but also helps keep your quilt from falling out of the hammock.

If you decided to use two different fabrics, just make sure you put the stronger one on the outside. Please note that heavier doesn't always mean stronger.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke
    A member let me try out some of his hammocks and he did have one made from the HyperD XL 1.6oz. It had a great feel to it. It was very soft without much stretch. It was my favorite for sure. I ordered some the other day for a DIY project. I'm on the taller side as well and the wider width was noticeably more comfortable for sure. I think you're on the right track if you can find the right weight range for you.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums! Just to add a couple other reinforcing thoguhts to what has already been said. As was already stated, be cautious when you start looking at a setup which would allow someone to be in it with you...especially if you're planning for sleeping purposes. When one person shifts in a hammock, everyone shifts in a hammock. I've never understood how wider hammocks are more comfortable to folks. the extra width does not seem to affect my comfort; length, on the other hand, makes a huge difference. If you can, try out someone's 12' normal width hammock first before you dive into it. you've done a lot of research, which is awesome, but research is nothing like a test drive. You may find that extra width is just added weight or you determine that it's the bee's knees. You can very easily do a SL hammock that can hold 400 lbs if you look at the Hex70 or Hexon 2.4.

As far as the noseeum goes, the lighter the noseeum the more i find it has better airflow. NS50 from RSBTR is awesome something. The .6 nano noseeum Dutch sells is great stuff too. If you aren't going with an integrated bug net, then a lighter mesh may be worth considering.

Your prices are realistic, especially considering that you're using the creme de la creme of hammock fabrics. All of the fabrics sold by any of the vendors who frequent here are the best quality and worth their weight in gold.

The biggest build option you should really think about is changing out the suspension. Rope is extremely bad for trees. A Knotty mod is great, but I can't speak as to how useful it'd be on a 6' wide hammock. That sounds almost like trying to save a sinking ship with a red Solo cup.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the warm welcome and all the great feedback! I think the next step should probably be to order some samples of the HyperD and Hexon70 to examine myself.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by troyji View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome and all the great feedback! I think the next step should probably be to order some samples of the HyperD and Hexon70 to examine myself.
    Sounds like a good idea. Biggest benefit IMO of RSBTR HEX70, or Dutch ware hexon 2.4 is you don't have to worry about buying double the fabric for a double layer.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    I have ordered samples of Nylon 1.9, HyperD 1.6, Hexon70, Noseeum 0.9, Hexon 1.6 and Hexon 2.4. I will get my feel on and make a final decision about fabric and number of layers.

I am thinking I will hang the raw fabric at 12' then 11' and so on to find an ideal length before sewing it. Should I be concerned about damaging the material at the 11' mark such that going back to 12' would not be ideal?

I ordered a cinch strap suspension setup to try out on a DIY hammock for my wife (Dutch has some $3/yd NylonD on sale that I couldn't pass up). If I like it, I might go ahead and upgrade from my rope.

One disadvantage to going single layer would be that I cannot reserve a pocket for a sleeping pad. I don't currently have one, but I thought it would be a good option to combat our mild winter weather. I have read that some folks just put down a wool blanket when needed, instead. Has anyone given that alternative a try? Any other pad/UQ alternatives for mild winter weather?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    I got my fabric samples in and have performed softness & localized strength tests.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...80#post1522080

The Hexon fabric from DWG has won me over. It claims a rating of 350lbs on the 1.6oz, so should work well for my needs.
    Last edited by troyji; 09-28-2015 at 19:43.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast