Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Foxpoop and troyji, are you sure you aren't long lost brothers? If not, you have found your hammock forums doppelganger. I had to look that up. I'm really not that smart, but I do have pretty strong searchfu.
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    I have placed the order! 4yds dark olive Hexon 1.6 (11' single layer), 1/8" black amsteel, cinch buckles and tree straps.

I couldn't afford noseeum for a bug net or extra material for a stuff sack, but I will figure something out for now and do another phase later to finish.

I will be using the knotty build for constructing the gathered ends. When I get to the bug net phase, I plan to build it Froggy style (with a bottom shock cord entrance).

Very excited!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images

DIY Hammock

I have completed my first DIY hammock. I ended up with an 11.5' long single layer of dark olive Hexon 1.6oz. For my suspension, I went with 15' tree straps and cinch buckles fastened to the hammock with 10" long 1/8" amsteel continuous loops (attached Knotty style). I finished it off with a 1/8" amsteel adjustable ridgeline.

IMAG00797.jpg

The fabric feels great and takes my 275lbs very well (it does not feel like it is going to rip open underneath me like some other 1.6/1.9oz fabrics I have tried).

The tree straps are a bit annoying because I have to strap it to the tree and then the cinch buckles, then take it back apart when I am done. I have seen how some people put hardware (e.g. carabiners) at the end of the straps so they can leave the straps attached to the hammock and just clip the strap to itself around the tree. I may move to this, but hate that I would have to add another component - it seems that there should be a simpler solution.

The 11.5' length of the hammock is fantastic and goes a long way to making the hammock. The 58" width is sufficient, but I miss the extra width of my previous hammock. More width gives more lay options. I can now say that I disagree that "width does not matter if your hammock is long enough". For context, I am 6'3" tall and have a large frame. I will look to upgrade to Hexon 1.6 XL when it becomes available.

When setting my ridgeline length to 83% of the hammock length as generally recommended, the hammock became extremely uncomfortable in the diagonal lay position. The hammock began to pull on me as if it were forcing me into more of a balled up position. The centerline became tight, keeping me from flattening out. I am glad I went with an adjustable ridgeline! Once I let the ridgeline out, the hammock became very comfortable again.

In summary, I am very happy with my choices and look forward to tweaking it to achieve my perfect build. Thanks for all the feedback!
    Last edited by troyji; 10-11-2015 at 15:38.

Hammock
    HH Asym / WallyWorld GE
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIY cocoon / ZFold
    Nice setup. If you decide to go with a carabiner on your tree strap, be careful not to put a bending stress on the biner wrapped around the tree. You might look into a tensionless hitch; this would require more strap but you could get away with a tiny carabiner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12