Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Isn't that an $18 dollar breakfast bar?

(actually it was really good food)

I beat you KK...I was in bed by 8:30 praying (begging?) for daylight and the sun's gentle and loving warmth. That was the toughest night I've spent in a hammock...learned me a few lessons about cold weather!!!

I'll try and be there, but our third bundle of joy and diapers will be here in Feb. and the wife wants one last trip before we start over on self-induced sleep deprivation.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    maybe.... heading to NJ for another memorial service on the 7th, might be able to do this and see some friends....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I won't be there... my family wants me at home for New Year's, and I've volunteered to help with trail maintenance in Linville Gorge on New Year's day.

Regarding high winds on mountaintops... I love the terrific noise the wind makes as willywaws race through the trees on either side of you, making channels through the boughs, and threatening to send all crashing down upon you!

- MacEntyre
    Willywaws. A great Aleutian Islands weather event. Learned from my dad from his 1943-44 little travel adventure there. Fortunately, Springer did not have the associated "white-out" piece last December. The great part is you can hear the gusts rushing up the side of the mountain or through the draws and then --boom, rolling over the top of you.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    The great part is you can hear the gusts rushing up the side of the mountain or through the draws and then --boom, rolling over the top of you.
    We get this up at Mt. Rogers too at the Winter hangout. Depending on your location, you can occasionally get a "direct hit", which will test how well you have anchored everything. It's a rush.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Back to the top - hoping to get my new winter UQ all finished in time for this one. Hope to see ya'll there!

Hammock
    ENO double/HH mod.(4now)
    Tarp
    HH standard(4now)
    Insulation
    SB&pad (4now)
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    OK. So what time is most everyone showing up? Is there any kind of schedule or plans? I will be there, but - I too - am having difficulties in finding any kind of info.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Diggs View Post
    OK. So what time is most everyone showing up? Is there any kind of schedule or plans? I will be there, but - I too - am having difficulties in finding any kind of info.
    Ditto. I looked at some of the old threads on the topic, and some stuff about the springer shelter in general, but don't really know of any specific plans for THIS new years hang. I basically plan to park on the SR42 parking lot, hike to the shelter, and set up camp. I assume I will see other hammockers there.

I'm treating this pretty much like my own personal camping trip, where there will happen to be many others with the same idea. If we share a campfire or whatever, great, but I can have plenty of fun with just me and my fiance hanging around staring at the stars.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Ditto. I looked at some of the old threads on the topic, and some stuff about the springer shelter in general, but don't really know of any specific plans for THIS new years hang. I basically plan to park on the SR42 parking lot, hike to the shelter, and set up camp. I assume I will see other hammockers there.

I'm treating this pretty much like my own personal camping trip, where there will happen to be many others with the same idea. If we share a campfire or whatever, great, but I can have plenty of fun with just me and my fiance hanging around staring at the stars.
    That's about what it is. Just a bunch of people who happen to be campnig on the same mountain at the same time. Depending on how cold it is everyone may stay in their own little areas, or even go to bed early. It's very much a fend for yourself type of campout.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    ENO double/HH mod.(4now)
    Tarp
    HH standard(4now)
    Insulation
    SB&pad (4now)
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    well thats cool with me, I just kinda like to know if others will be there. I will be there, I plan on parking on top, but somehow I need to figure out how to get back down to amnicola falls. I want to hike the approach trail to the top of springer - for symbolic reasons mostly (i am planning a 2010 thruhike, and I cant think of a better way to bring in the new year!) there is an old saying that what you do bringing in the new year is what you will be doing for the rest.
    Anyway..... MM-i guess i will see you and your fiancee up top. look forward to meeting everyone who happens to show up?!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    forecast for Springer on New Years eve:

Thursday Night: A chance of snow, mainly after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Northwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast