Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilburforce View Post
    I would imagine Cinch Bugs are nicer than Cinch Buckles as you can easily detach the webbing strap part from the continuous loops, which you can't with the Cinch Buckles.
    Why not? Mine are attached with an amsteel continuous loop (blue one) via larks head (couple wraps), and would easily come off if I needed.

Very happy with cinch buckles.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My favorite "Dutch" suspension is Kevlar webbing larks-headed to whoopie slings at one end, with a Dutch Clip on the other. It is both lightweight and user-friendly - the straps, whoopies and clips remain attached permanently so nothing gets lost or left behind. It is very easy to deploy because of the clips, and with my hammock and quilts living in a bishop bag I can quite literally be hanging in about a minute.

Now that is nifty. On Dutch's product pics he has it already spliced and wound on...

Hammock
    Chameleon (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Yeti/OP Nitrous
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My current dutch suspension of choice is:

• Kevlar tree straps w/ non-sewn dutch clips
    • Dutch buckles
    • 7/64 Whoopies w/ whoopie hooks
    • 7/64 continuous loops

I often don't use the whoopies at all if the trees are close enough, and just use the continuous loops directly on the dutch buckles. For trees further apart, I use the whoopies, although in many cases just on one end.

The Dutch Buckles aren't the fastest to adjust, but speed doesn't particularly bother me there, and I really like their ability to keep the webbing tidy - love the little shock-cord organiser that's attached to them!

I prefer to use hardware rather than knots, but hardware I can lose without issue - if I dropped every piece of hardware from my suspension, I could still rig something with the same capability by threading the tree-strap through the end loop, and using a marlinspike hitch (and also a larks-head to the CL if using the whoopies).

I really like the idea of Cinch Bugs for their speedy adjustment, but sadly they're not compatible with the Kevlar straps. If Dutch ever releases a version of those that works with the Kevlar, I'll definitely be buying some.
    Last edited by Erayd; 09-21-2015 at 22:44. Reason: Dutch *clips*, not hooks!

I really like Dutch's titanium buckles, could only afford one set which I use on the backpacking hammock and put his regular buckles on my other hammocks, I was able to find strapping at a flea market that is lighter than typical webbing but still strong enough to do the job. I started out using UCR's but found the titanium buckles and lightweight webbing to be slightly lighter...and a heck of a lot easier to use.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    OK. Why do their have to be SO MANY choices for rigging a suspension. I am going to have to devote about a month just to figuring out what all of you are talking about. I can't visualize most of the hardware and have next to no idea how it's all used. But I'll keep working at it!
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeppo View Post
    OK. Why do their have to be SO MANY choices for rigging a suspension. I am going to have to devote about a month just to figuring out what all of you are talking about. I can't visualize most of the hardware and have next to no idea how it's all used. But I'll keep working at it!
    I had the same problem at first...a little difficult to visualize something new...so I just had to try them out.

Dutchware Suspensions - Which is your favorite?

I use 8" continuous loops made from 1/8" amsteel, larksheaded on each end of the hammock, and that connects to cinch bugs. Lovin it!

Quote Originally Posted by chefkeith View Post
    I use 8" continuous loops made from 1/8" amsteel, larksheaded on each end of the hammock, and that connects to cinch bugs. Lovin it!
    Likewise, except 7/64". Dutch clips on the straps. Also lovin it!

My choice because I like to be able to pack the tree straps separately. My hammock is packed in a double-ended stuffsack and I prefer just having the CLs stick out.

I haven't used Dutch's ti cinch buckles. Don't know if they are easier to adjust or not than the Cinch Bugs, but making them easily detachable would mean adding too many more parts. The Cinch Bugs can be detachable or not.

If I did use cinch buckles, I'd opt for Dutch's over the more common aluminum ones. They look really nice.

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    buckles and 15' polyester straps so simple and strong

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast