Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Dutchware Suspensions - Which is your favorite?

I have now had the opportunity to use a few different Dutchware suspensions, and thought that I would comment on them.

1. Dutch Clips (Sew On) : My first thought after receiving these in the mail was, why did I order these? If I already have a loop sewn into the end of my tree strap, why not just pass it through itself and call it good? To my surprise I ended up loving the clips. It is hard to quantify, but this last weekend when I had to set up four hammocks for my kids, the easiest straps for me to set up and adjust were the one with the clips. I was really impressed with how it actually made the job easier.

2. Dutch Buckle : This was the first suspension piece that I ordered from Dutch and perhaps my favorite. I put these on my daughters suspension after seeing my whoopie sling slip off half of the marlin spike hitch in the wind when no weight was in the hammock. The little bungee strap behind the buckle is genius. I no longer have to worry about her falling because I know that the suspension will be in place. The only complaint that I have is that wish it were faster to adjust on the strap, but you can't have everything.

3. Whoopie Hooks : If you compare these to using a carabiner, there is no comparison. These are small and light and do the job. There are two different reasons that I did not find these as useful. First, when I made my hammocks I used 1/8 inch amsteel instead of 7/64 for the continuous loops. The hooks are designed to clip on to the smaller size. No fault of the hook, just not the right fit. Second, after watching X-Trekkers video on how to attach a ridge line and UCR to your hammock, I tried it out and having the suspension attached to the hammock really appeals to me. So if you are using a biner and have 7/64 inch continuous loops these may be for you, but I was not as impressed with them.

I have not tried the Dutch Biners but it looks like a lighter weight biner solution.
    I have not tried the Cinch Buckles because even after watching the video I was not sure exactly how they worked. I really liked how easy they appear to adjust, but was fuzzy on how they were attached to the hammock. Other downside is that it appears that you need a longer strap which is heavier than amsteel.

If you have different impressions or a favorite that you would like to share please do.

Got buckles coming tomorrow so I'll be able to answer for them soon. They seem like the perfect solution for me and from what I've heard of Dutch on here, the quality in his gear is top notch. So high expectations.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I've been using whoopies with whoopie hooks and I like that method. I really like using continuous loops on all of my hammocks so I can interchange suspensions, etc. I have been seriously considering some cinch bugs as those look like the ultimate in ease of adjustment and speed of setup but after spending the last year and a half trying to lighten my pack weight I have a tough time adding the heavier straps back in my pack. I'm sure I'll still end up with some for ease of adjustment with cold hands in the winter...

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I used to use a marlin spike w/ whoopies; the only dutch suspension stuff I've used are the adutchable clips, and speed hooks.
    The adutchable clips I guess are like your dutch clips, but w/ adjustable position on the strap - at the expense of being maybe twice the weight. I haven't tried stationary clips, but I like the adjustability. Sure, I can wrap the strap around the tree many times if it's a narrow tree and a short hang distance, but that seems like something I'd rather not do. And I think the adjustable clips give me a shorter minimum hang distance. I can put the continuous loop directly on the strap at one end if need be. Also, now my strap can serve as a belt in a pinch; loaned one to my hiking buddy for just that on my last hike.

The speed hooks save me from having to use whoopie slings. The hook part I don't have a choice about, though I suppose I could always leave them attached to the hammock. Even before they had come out, I was looking into whoopie hooks - I suppose as a rain break?

I'd love to know about Cinch Bugs too.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/cinch-bugs.html

I'm about to order my first ever two hammocks off dutch - a double and a half wit and it's a toss up over which 2 suspension systems to try out first. Definitely Whoopie Hooks but Cinch Bugs/Cinch Buckles/ADutchable Clips are vying for 2nd place.

I would imagine Cinch Bugs are nicer than Cinch Buckles as you can easily detach the webbing strap part from the continuous loops, which you can't with the Cinch Buckles.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by savagehangs View Post
    Got buckles coming tomorrow so I'll be able to answer for them soon. They seem like the perfect solution for me and from what I've heard of Dutch on here, the quality in his gear is top notch. So high expectations.
    I'm interested in how these turn out for you. I have looked at purchasing these with the whoopies in the package. That would give me three types of suspension so this is very appealing. The other thing that worries me is the weight limit. These are rated for 275# but his dutch clips are rated for 300# and the Biners are rated at 1000# breaking point.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    SpeedHook 2.0. We should have 'em in a couple weeks.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    ENO Tarp
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies and MSH
    I threw the Cinch Buckles on my DIY last night and they are unbelievably easy to setup and adjust. Taking them down is also really fast. Prior to that I had a sewn loop in the tree strap and Whoopies with a MSH. If you are worried about weight then Whoopies are of course going to win, but I think the trade-off is worth it. I left the hammock up and forgot about it, went out late at night and had the whole thing down in no time. Not a big deal in my backyard, but breaking down camp with these should be a snap.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Currently one setup I'm running is Dutch Cinch Bugs with sew on clips. Works flawless, easy and quick to set up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast