Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to figure out UQs and what temp to buy

I'm settled on the idea of an UQ being worth the cost, but can really only afford 1 of these things. At least at this point in time. I'm going to go with a full length. I'm not concerted about 4 extra oz (ref. Loco Libres UQs) and would rather that extra "weight" over fighting with a foot pad all night. I want an UQ to get away from pads.

Now, What temp rating do I need? I've never used insulation outside of a closed cell pad. I have a 20° down bag that I currently take with me. I REALLY doubt I'd be sleeping in colder than 20° temps. So we'll use that as an absolute low. (I realize I will need more insulation up top with my 20° bag if the temps really are in the low 20's).

Can a 20° UQ be vented enough for a 50-60 degree night? I don't think I need an UQ in the 70's and above that and I'm not really interested in sleeping outside.
    Last edited by Irregularpulse; 09-17-2015 at 10:20.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    PLUQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great question. I was wondering the same thing. I will be watching this closely for some answers. Like you, I am leaning towards a Loco Libre full length rated for 20°, but I was more or less guessing.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I've used my 20/25 UQ/TQ up to about 70 without feeling a baked bear burrito. Venting is easy. If you're going to buy one, buy one for the lowest you plan use it. If you sleep colder, you may want to look at an extra oz or two of down. Another bit of food for thought, an ounce of down is $6; a 10* UQ is only $13 more than the 20.
    Last edited by Wanderlost; 09-17-2015 at 10:33. Reason: Proofreading..it's where it's at.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    I am no expert by any means but I have been using an underquilt (ENO Vulcan) since before I knew this site existed and that there was a cottage industry around hammocks. I have a 40* full length quilt and on nights that only get into the 60's and 70's I can loosen an end and let air in. When I do loosen an end I can immediately feel the cooler air. If it gets cooler I can then close the end and everything is good. I can usually do all of that without leaving my hammock. I now have a topquilt and love it but for a long time I used a 20* down sleeping bag. Venting is definitely possible and needed in my case.

I'm a pretty warm sleeper. Just ask my wife about my sweaty side of the bed. I was curious, how much warmth, in degrees, can you expect for the extra ounce of fill?

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    As others have and will suggest, go for the lowest rating that you'll encounter if you're planning to use only one quilt. It is easy enough to vent them to remain comfortable in warmer temperatures.
    Over time, if you so desired and funds became available, you could always pick up additional lighter quilts to use in much warmer temps. A 20° degree uq is often recommended by many as the basic one owned quilt because of the versatility with the ability to vent.

Thanks everyone. Let the savings begin.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started with an HG 20* TQ/UQ. I'd say it's good for 70% of the time in my neck of the woods. I've used the quilts from 70*F down to 13* F comfortably. I don't subscribe to snapped or zipped footboxes, and prefer sewn.

I also bought HG 40* and 0* quilt sets, but they really are a specialized item to be used in temps I normally don't encounter. While I'm happy I got them, I probably could have gotten by with just the 20* quilt set.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    I'm settled on the idea of an UQ being worth the cost, but can really only afford 1 of these things. At least at this point in time. I'm going to go with a full length. I'm not concerted about 4 extra oz (ref. Loco Libres UQs) and would rather that extra "weight" over fighting with a foot pad all night. I want an UQ to get away from pads.

Now, What temp rating do I need? I've never used insulation outside of a closed cell pad. I have a 20° down bag that I currently take with me. I REALLY doubt I'd be sleeping in colder than 20° temps. So we'll use that as an absolute low. (I realize I will need more insulation up top with my 20° bag if the temps really are in the low 20's).

Can a 20° UQ be vented enough for a 50-60 degree night? I don't think I need an UQ in the 70's and above that and I'm not really interested in sleeping outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrrha1 View Post
    Great question. I was wondering the same thing. I will be watching this closely for some answers. Like you, I am leaning towards a Loco Libre full length rated for 20°, but I was more or less guessing.
    That is one of the hardest questions to answer since everyone is different. Some sleep warm, some sleep hot. Fitness level affect comfort as well as hydration, metabolism, humidity. Expected temperature range?

I will say in my own experience that I use a 20° uq most of the time, from the 20's up to the 70's. For three season use if you are on a budget a 20° quilt is a solid temperature choice. Our two most popular ranges temperatures at Loco Libre Gear are 10° and 20° if that means anything at all.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    I agree with others about it being a really hard question, given everyone sleeps differently. I'm a very warm sleeper and have found that when the temps are going into the 20s I can still sleep comfortably with a 40°/30° UQ/TQ combo. Conversely, my GF who is a somewhat warm sleeper got by with a 20°/40° combo and I've since gotten her a 30°/40° combo which should be fine for her. I had the UQ over stuffed by 2oz which will give her about an extra 5 degrees of warmth.

I will also mention that we both have hammocks with integrated bug nets. If yours is the same, then a warmer UQ will help keep your backside warm. The net will add warmth to your upper side. 1 additional ounce of down adds about 3° of warmth, but, that doesn't equate to an exact additional temp rating in the sense that if you add 1 oz. and it gets you 3° then adding 2 will get me 6, etc. I had emailed UGQ about this and basically they said, that adding 2 or 3 additional ounces of down will only get you a minor amount of additional warmth. So, an additional 3 ounces will take you down an additional (roughly) 10 degrees, but at that point you may as well simply get the next lower temp rated UQ. To put it economically, you can pay $249 for a 40° UQ and add up to, say, 6 ounces of additional down. That will then get you a UQ rated down to about 19°. BUT, that 6 ounces may cost you an additional $60. Looking at the purchase options, you see that a 20° UQ is $269 and adding an additional ounce of down will take you down to about 18° AND only costs an additional $6. So, economically​, you're better off buying the 20° with 1 ounce overstuff than the 40° with 6 ounces of overstuff.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast