HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Best Insulation for Hennessey

Looking for advice about which UQ to buy for a Hennessey Hyperlite Asym Zip. Or does someone want to argue in favor of the Supershelter? How critical is it to get something specifically designed to go with Hennessey? Which are? I'd love to learn from your experience rather than having to stumble my way to the solution.
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Images
    The HHSS is a best buy. Full length coverage, wind / water resistant, fits like a glove, and is lighter than an UQ with an UQP. A bit bulkier, expect a little condensation on the space blanket in the morning, and the pad is somewhat delicate but after four years even a goon like me has yet to poke a hole in it. I trust the system down to 20*F. Once you install the HHSS correctly (watch the HH videos) it never needs adjustment. I did replace the zip ties with s-biners after a zip tie broke in the field.

I have the HHSS, UQs and UQP and use either as the mood strikes me.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thanks so much for the input. I certainly like the price over an UQ that would get me to the same temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppo View Post
    Thanks so much for the input. I certainly like the price over an UQ that would get me to the same temp.
    +1 on the thanks. I've been mulling over the SuperShelter as well, re-reading Billybob's old posts and so forth. Your recommendation may sway me.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We have 5 Hennesseys. My wife uses a JacksRBetter Nest. Matches up nicely and the entry slit is handy. My youngest two kids are using PLUQs. The oldest is using a 20 degree quilt from UGQ. I've been using the super shelter for the last 4 years, and while I like it, I should have my new long underquilt from UGQ in a couple of weeks. Since moving to a top quilt, I find the SS doesn't keep me as warm as I need. Once the temp hits around 10C, depending in the weather, I find my back getting cool. At around 5C I'm getting cold. The new quilt should take me down to below freezing comfortably.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I use a Potomac KAQ underquilt from AHE. I thought on the supershelter for a while and decided an underquilt was better. An underquilt will give better insulation on the sides of your hammock and not just from underneath like the foam pad in the supershelter. The HHSS is definitely cheaper but to me it's more about comfort and function.

I have the same question so thanks for starting this for me...haha

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by transeuphrates View Post
    I use a Potomac KAQ underquilt from AHE. I thought on the supershelter for a while and decided an underquilt was better. An underquilt will give better insulation on the sides of your hammock and not just from underneath like the foam pad in the supershelter. The HHSS is definitely cheaper but to me it's more about comfort and function.
    +1 to all this.

I've used both. The Super Shelter is all that it advertises as far as I am concerned regarding temperature, but slightly less convenient than an UQ. So which is better depends on your use. For backpacking, I prefer my Potomac because it compresses smaller and fits into my pack in a single piece. The Super Shelter is more of a pain for me to pack - the foam pad for instance is a real PITA to roll small when you're in the woods because if you put it on the ground it picks up every single twig and piece of dirt it touches. Then you have to store the undercover (will fit in the snakeskins if you use them) and the blanket (packs small but noisy). But if you car camp, none of that really matters.

The Potomac clips and unclips easily and packs as a single unit. And running the side tie-outs is only a small pain, but you can skip them if you need to. I've slept in my 3-Season Potomac down to 27 degrees and been OK. It was REALLY windy and I only got a cold back when the gusts came. I probably could have gotten up and adjusted but I survived. And I'm a warm sleeper anyway and was only wearing 1 layer of lightweight thermals. On that same trip the following night was in the low 30s and I had one of the best sleeps of my life in the Potomac.

I like the custom fit of the Potomac, but I'm not sure it's that much of an advantage. I've used "generic-fit" UQs in colder temps (borrowed a Hammock Gear 0 degree for instance for camping in the teens) and been just as comfortable. So I'd shop based on other features first and then use a specific Hennessy fit as a deciding factor. I went with a Potomac as my 3-season quilt for example figuring that in temps mostly above freezing I was likely to encounter rain and a synthetic insulation was preferred for this. My colder UQs are all down.

I still have my Super Shelter though and I use it for cooler Summer nights (50s, 60s). Works perfectly for keeping that chill away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I am grateful to all who have offered their advice. My objective is an AT thru-hike, and Grumpy's point about packing the HHSS pad is a big deal to me. Definitely leaning Potomac. It's not a lot more $ than a SS anyway!

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    +1 for the potomac. I liked mine so much that I bought one for the wife too! Fits like a glove and super comfy. Can't go wrong.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast