Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Those are definately not cheap. I do like the fact that the loco libre under quilts look asymetric which will fit a diagonal lay better I suppose.

Hammock
    DIY Multicam /DIY Argon1.6
    Tarp
    CaveCreekPonderosa
    Insulation
    CaveCreekQuilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by antern View Post
    Hi all, I'm wanting to make the jump to using an under quilt (currently using a sleeping bag with therma rest inside).

The choices are enough to make one's head spin, and most seem geared either to DIY or to expensive low-weight materials like down.

I don't really want either. I'm a car camper most of the time, so while I would prefer small and portable, extra ounces aren't a deal breaker. And while I'm not a DIY-er, cost is a major concern.

So I'm hoping for suggestions on best bang for the buck. Currently the Arrowhead and DD options seem like the front runners. Any one have any experience with them and can compare? Am I missing out on another relatively inexpensive option?

FYI I use an 11 Ft hammock from Dutch.

Thanks for your help.
    Just FYI. Someone has two AHE quilts listed in the F/S area for $75 each. Hard to beat that price.

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch Hexon
    Tarp
    Claytor
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_1 View Post
    Yeah shipping is always a killer and made me leave plenty of shoppingcarts behind
    I'll bet! Much of the stuff comes from the US, and we often deal with absurdly high shipping costs. I can't imagine what cross-Atlantic shipping costs!

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch Hexon
    Tarp
    Claytor
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium33 View Post
    Just buy an HG or a Loco Libre. You'll be good to go.
    Everyone has great things to say about HG, but I have a hard time justifying the cost (more to my wife than to me). DD so far seems to be the only option for decent quality under $100, though Arrowhead comes close. I hadn't heard of Loco Libre, and looked them up. Looks nice, but still about double what I'm hoping to spend!

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch Hexon
    Tarp
    Claytor
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Randerson View Post
    Just FYI. Someone has two AHE quilts listed in the F/S area for $75 each. Hard to beat that price.
    Doesn't look like they are $75 anymore unfortunately. Though $100 is pretty good, I'm a little concerned over whether to get a partial length vs a full length (dd).

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch Hexon
    Tarp
    Claytor
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_1 View Post
    As far as I can tell. The Jarbridge is a partial length uq while the DD underblanket is full length. That is an important difference an wouldmake me go with the DD. But I have neither, so I can say anything about the quality. I do hear a lot of good things about the DD though.
    I think I'm with you on the length issue. But having never tried ANY UQ yet, it's hard to say. Others claim the difference isn't too substantial, so maybe I wouldn't notice it either.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Shug recently shared advice with me that he exclusively uses a 3/4 with a foot pad. I chose full length for my own reasons (I toss and turn like crazy so I would likely be repositioning the pad obsessively but it really sounds like both options are acceptable from a warmth standpoint
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Everyone has great things to say about HG, but I have a hard time justifying the cost (more to my wife than to me). DD so far seems to be the only option for decent quality under $100, though Arrowhead comes close. I hadn't heard of Loco Libre, and looked them up. Looks nice, but still about double what I'm hoping to spend!
    Wait and save more $. If you get something to heavy you will want to buy something different later. My 2 cents. I have also done that before.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    The other thing to consider is location. Up In Canada our fall weather can be a little nippier than that down south. Hard to compare fall weather across the board. I tried a partial and couldn't keep the pad under my feet. A 7/8th was pretty good. All mine are full unless it's a simple summer /single season quilt. (Not for the mountain trips though lol)

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'll bet! Much of the stuff comes from the US, and we often deal with absurdly high shipping costs. I can't imagine what cross-Atlantic shipping costs!
    Yeah but often the problem is that businessess in the US use a shipping service instead of just the postoffice. There is a HUGE difference in price when sending stuff through the postoffice. If they just used the postoffice for international clients, they would certainly sell more due to lower shippingrates.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast