Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Baffles…Parallel or Perpendicular

I’m in the process of completing my DIY UQ and will then start my TQ. I’ve noticed that many, if not all UQs have the baffles in line with the axis of the hammock. While many, if not all the TQs have the baffles perpendicular to said axis.

So I’m wondering…why the difference in baffle direction and is there a benefit?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Think about which direction you don't want the down to move. Such as a bottom quilt i think should run lengthwise to keep it up the sides. For top quilt I don't think it matters as much.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I have no idea concerning the TQ, but for an UQ it is better to have parallel baffles since the down will otherwise tend to settle underneath the hammock leaving your sides cold and unprotected.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    For me the determining factor is gravity.

Gravity pulls down DOWN. Therefore, when tossing & turning, the down migrates off me and to the sides in my TQ - NOT fun. I believe quilts that use narrow chambers for the down mitigate this issue, though. In an UQ, Gravity is my friend, pulling more down DOWN to where I need it most.

To sum it up, I prefer "vertical" baffles in my TQ (Enlightened Equipment) and "horizontal" baffles in my UQ (JRB).

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Think about which direction you don't want the down to move. Such as a bottom quilt i think should run lengthwise to keep it up the sides. For top quilt I don't think it matters as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by jheander View Post
    I have no idea concerning the TQ, but for an UQ it is better to have parallel baffles since the down will otherwise tend to settle underneath the hammock leaving your sides cold and unprotected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    For me the determining factor is gravity.

Gravity pulls down DOWN. Therefore, when tossing & turning, the down migrates off me and to the sides in my TQ - NOT fun. I believe quilts that use narrow chambers for the down mitigate this issue, though. In an UQ, Gravity is my friend, pulling more down DOWN to where I need it most.

To sum it up, I prefer "vertical" baffles in my TQ (Enlightened Equipment) and "horizontal" baffles in my UQ (JRB).
    Same logic I used when building my quilts. I run the baffles parallel to the ridgeline for my underquilt and perpendicular for the topquilt. My logic on the top quilt was that any pushing of the down away from the sides and into the middle would be done by the part of my hammock that has a thick underquilt behind it, so there's no real loss of insulation. Also you can bang all of the down to one side if it gets too warm and not suffer from either overheated toes or chest as you would with parallel baffles.
    Last edited by Chard; 09-14-2015 at 13:07.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

And from another point of view, the down is going to settle. When the baffles are perpendicular, the down settle to the bottom where you are laying. Your top quilt wraps around your sides. With the baffles perpendicular, the settling down could create voids at the top of each baffle. I think someone could make reasonable statements about both arrangements.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I had the same question but decided the best way for me to feel comfortable with my DYI TQ was to use Karo Step.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Style-Footbox
    I know it doesn't answer your question about which is best but with Karo Step you get the best of both and for only a little bit more effort.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    And from another point of view, the down is going to settle. When the baffles are perpendicular, the down settle to the bottom where you are laying. Your top quilt wraps around your sides. With the baffles perpendicular, the settling down could create voids at the top of each baffle. I think someone could make reasonable statements about both arrangements.
    I'm inclined to agree. Any comment / insight from the vendors as to why they make their TQ baffles the way they do?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post
    I had the same question but decided the best way for me to feel comfortable with my DYI TQ was to use Karo Step.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Style-Footbox
    I know it doesn't answer your question about which is best but with Karo Step you get the best of both and for only a little bit more effort.
    Very nice quilt. That may be a future project, but for now I'm keeping it simple with a 'typical' TQ & UQ.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. Any comment / insight from the vendors as to why they make their TQ baffles the way they do?
    At Loco Libre Gear we use perpendicular chevron baffles in our Ghost Pepper series to help mitigate down shift. Every time the baffle turns it creates a spot that catches down.
    IMG_2496.jpg
    Last edited by georgecarr; 09-15-2015 at 08:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast