Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

lightweight tarp recommendation?

I'm looking for a recommendation for a lightweight and not too expensive tarp for backpacking, which could be pitched either as weather protection over a hammock (in the future - I just bought my tent this summer and can't afford a whole second set-up at this time) or used with my tent.

Here's the deal with my tent. Whoever designed it, apparently has never camped in the rain. Sometimes, even if it's raining, you need to enter or exit the tent, or otherwise open the fly. There is no way to open the rainfly without letting it rain into the tent (and all over my nice down quilt). But I recently saw a genius solution (which in retrospect should have been obvious, but whatever): a group of campers had their tents set up, and then strategically placed tarps so they could eat or move about their campsite without being soaked.

The tarp could be small - just has to be big enough to keep the rain off the entryway - or big enough that I could ditch the rainfly and use the tarp as my only weatherproofing.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    What price range are you looking in?
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Check out the Tadpole.

http://wildernesslogics.com/Tad-Pole-Tad-Pole.htm

I've been using mine for 3 years now and have no complaints. It's reasonably light and inexpensive. Haven't ever had to seam seal it.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have the DD superlight tarp. It's 3 meters by 2.90 meters and weighs only 460 gram.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    What price range are you looking in?
    I would really prefer to stay under $75. I know that cuts out pretty much all of the truly lightweight options, but hopefully there's something decent available. I really like the tadpole that olddog recommended, but it's just a little more than I can realistically fit in my budget this month, and I'm crossing my fingers I can get something to test the weekend of the 26th. Want to try it out car camping before taking an actual backpacking trip the weekend of October 17.

I might hop on the marketplace and see if anybody's got a used tarp in good condition within my price range.

Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I have a Hennessey Hyperlite Asym Zip with the stock tarp, which is a parallelogram, 63" x 99", with a (diagonal) ridgeline length of 132". It weighs 8 oz. Mine is like new. I am replacing it with a Warbonnet Superfly. You can have it for $60, free shipping.
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Argon
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Wilderness Logics Tadpole will work well for this and for a hammock. Awesome tarp.
    "Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory"
    - Ed Viesturs

CHerring

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    If you can't find what you want make it! I made this one using only 4yds of fabric and kept it under $40. The small doors on the ends make it so you don't need as much overhang on the ends of the hammock. I don't have a scale sensitive enough for "gram weenies" but it packs down to about the size of a baseball.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I don't think it's considered lightweight, but the Kelty Noah is below your price range, is versitile, and works well. I have the 12' and it seems fine. I will some day get a lightweight tarp, but I can't justify the expense when this one works so well.

Zeppo, I'm considering your offer. My concern is whether the assymetrical design will be awkward to use with the tent. I might have to set up the tent and break out the measuring tape.

My other best option so far seems to be DIY. I have good sewing skills and can get materials within my price range... but then I have to find the time to assemble it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast