Tarp
    JRB 12x10
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Any BIG Guys / Gals using whoopies?

I have my first, "real" Hammock coming tomorrow (hopefully) http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_d...tml?order=2311 and ordered her with cinch buckles..... I do have a set of 1/8 Amsteel buckles from my dealer, er, I mean Dutch, and just made a set of 1/8 continuous loops and whoopies for the fun of it..... Built the whoopies with 12 inch of grab on the adjustment and 6 inches of grab on the 3 inch fixed loop end (I weigh 285).

What I am wondering, is anyone 280 Lbs plus using whoopies? If so, experiences? Are they actually stronger than a cinch buckle strap? Should I stay with buckles?

Thanks
    Nut
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Camping Nut View Post
    I have my first, "real" Hammock coming tomorrow (hopefully) http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_d...tml?order=2311 and ordered her with cinch buckles..... I do have a set of 1/8 Amsteel buckles from my dealer, er, I mean Dutch, and just made a set of 1/8 continuous loops and whoopies for the fun of it..... Built the whoopies with 12 inch of grab on the adjustment and 6 inches of grab on the 3 inch fixed loop end (I weigh 285).

What I am wondering, is anyone 280 Lbs plus using whoopies? If so, experiences? Are they actually stronger than a cinch buckle strap? Should I stay with buckles?

Thanks
    Nut

I had Randy put a set of 1/8th whoopies on my Thunderbird and i have no problems with them, and i'm over 400 lbs.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    360lb here - I don't use whoopies any more ('cause I don't like them as compared to a cinch buckle) but I used to back when I was 400lbs. No problems, even with the 7/64 Amsteel.

I'd stick with buckles just because I think whoopies are too fiddly - too many moving parts. Put the strap on the tree, tie the knot with a toggle, put the whoopie on it, adjust the whoopie, maybe move the knot, so forth and so on. With buckles you can use trees that are closer together, don't have extra bits (toggles) to lose, and it's as easy as threading the strap through the buckle and adjusting.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I had Randy put a set of 1/8th whoopies on my Thunderbird and i have no problems with them, and i'm over 400 lbs.
    AWESOME..... Looks like a little modification is going to be on tomorrow nights list.... LOL

Thanks Zilla
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    360lb here - I don't use whoopies any more ('cause I don't like them as compared to a cinch buckle) but I used to back when I was 400lbs. No problems, even with the 7/64 Amsteel.

I'd stick with buckles just because I think whoopies are too fiddly - too many moving parts. Put the strap on the tree, tie the knot with a toggle, put the whoopie on it, adjust the whoopie, maybe move the knot, so forth and so on. With buckles you can use trees that are closer together, don't have extra bits (toggles) to lose, and it's as easy as threading the strap through the buckle and adjusting.
    Thanks Gresh.....

This is all new to me...... Guess my best bet, is to try both and see how I like each one...... My only concern was with weight.....

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I'm @ 260 (was270) I used whoopies both 1/8 & 7/64. No problems but changed to straps & buckles for reasons already mentioned. I put the whoopies on a couple hammocks that I loan to buddies once in a while.,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm 280 and I use 7/64 whoopies with no worries. Have had them loaded with over 400 (added wife) with no worries as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I put whoopies on hammocks that I'm not gonna use.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    I put whoopies on hammocks that I'm not gonna use.
    LOL... Looks like I just may use the whoopies for my gear hammock!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    283 today, been 310. Used 7/64 and 1/8, but straps now. Never worried about them at all when I used them though
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast