Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

MI - 2015 The Gluttony Hang - Jordan River Valley/Pinney Bridge Nov. 6-8, 2015

Last year, a Turkey (Ed) organized it and a number of us got together at Pinney Bridge Campground, in the Jordan River Valley, west of Gaylord for our first annual northern Michigan fall camping with a food theme. Well, it's that time of the year again, so time to start planning the November 6th to 8th, 2015 outing, aka The Gluttony Hang. The destination is the same as before, Pinney Bridge CG, and we plan on arriving before noon on Friday to secure our site, located at the far end of the campground on the hill, way behind the water pump and restrooms (photo at end of post). Sites are $13 a night and we should be fine with just one or two, since we can disperse way back into the woods.

This is a car camping weekend, with about a 15 minute hike into the campground from the Pinney Bridge access road. Easy enough to get to if you have to leave backup gear in the car. Last year we had snow, so we used snowshoes and pulks to get to our spot. And, if anyone feels like doing the 20 mile Jordan loop, they can always park at Deadman's Hill and hike in for the weekend. Turkey and Squirrelbait live in the area will monitor road conditions for trailhead access.

About the theme for the weekend: Gluttony, it's as simple as that. Since the hike in is short and the weather cold (hopefully), and the never ending fire hot, cooking "real" food is encouraged...Sure, you can bring that freeze dried stuff in a bag, but wouldn't a pound of fresh bacon sizzling in a cast iron frying pan over the fire be a little better? Or maybe a dutch oven full of chili? Posada? Fresh biscuits and gravy perhaps? Hot apple cider with an adult beverage? The options are endless, so feel free to bring whatever you want to share with the group. As we get closer to the event, we'll have an idea of how many are attending so everyone can plan accordingly. Please feel free to post what food/meal you plan on bringing.

Something new for this year: If anyone wants to bring some small (or large) items for trading, bring it along and see if you can find it a new home. I know I've got a few things in my gear closet that I wouldn't mind parting with.

We had a great time at last years event, so come one, come all and let's start off the Michigan Winter Hanging season! Remember, if you go home weighing more than when you arrived, it was a successful trip.

Links of interest:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...14-to-11-23-14
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...e=SFCG#map-tab
    http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/member-profile/3/134/

Last edited by michigandave; 09-10-2015 at 14:15.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 deg Zep
    Gluttony sounds wonderful,....but no raping or pillaging! Family event. Awaiting my underquilt, so I think this could be a doable event for me, but will have to check my work schedule.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh I'm in for it this year...though I have no idea of what kind of gluttonous contribution I can make. I suppose there's always bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Oh I'm in for it this year...though I have no idea of what kind of gluttonous contribution I can make. I suppose there's always bacon.
    Bacon goes with everything . I'm thinking of doing Jambalaya this year. Hope somebody can whip up some Dutch oven cornbread to go with it. Hint, hint...

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 deg Zep
    Tis my goofy weekend at work,....hard to explain...might be able to make the latter night. I will have my new underquilt by then, and eager to give it a good test....Tom, And as for bacon,...it always works.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    I thought it was illegal to park your car on the county road overnight, has the park added designated spots?
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    I thought it was illegal to park your car on the county road overnight, has the park added designated spots?
    There's room for a handful of cars without any signage prohibiting overnight parking... Didn't have any issues before, so if it's illegal, I'm not aware of it.

Hammock
    11’ Dogger hammock
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    HG incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    There is a designated parking area just outside of the campground, then we walk in from there. I've never had a problem parking there.

Quote Originally Posted by turkey View Post
    There is a designated parking area just outside of the campground, then we walk in from there. I've never had a problem parking there.
    Ditto...More info from the NCTA website: https://northcountrytrail.org/trail/...way-loop-hike/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Food, food and more food. Sounds like my kind of event! I need to move further north for crying out loud.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast