gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

killing time at camp

How do you kill time before bed when it's dark and you're all set up? Spring and summer are one thing, but those long winter nights where you're alone and it's dark by 430 are another animal.
    I bring a book and download some netflix onto my phone. I'm sure looking at a screen doesn't help me sleep. Of course, the point is to just enjoy hanging and turn your mind off.
    Last edited by chansta; 12-29-2023 at 04:00.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    When camping alone, I probably just watch stuff on my phone. Because I like to go to bed warm, I also like to do a short night hike to activate the internal engine and get metabolism going. With a group, telling lies and stories around a campfire does the job for me. In the final analysis, I'll have to admit that most people would label what I do at camp as "lollygagging"
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I bring a small kindle and read books. The backlighting on it is a lot easier on the eyes than my phone so I don’t have issues falling asleep. I’m not one for campfires if camping alone, but in groups I roll like iceman and bring a chair to swap tales and enjoy the stories.

I also like to read books on my phone and when I get tired of that, I listen to the weather report a few times and try to pick up distant AM radio stations on my Retekess PR15. At night, I can get much further stations. After I get tired of that, I have a few pieces of string I always tie on my ridgeline that I use for practicing tying different knots. I'm looking for some more ideas though, good thread!

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I bring a regular old fashioned book to read by my headlamp. Nearly all my winter camping is in sub-freezing temps and my phone doesn't run long. I sit by the fire for a bit. If there's enough moonlight I shoot some clay ammo with my slingshot.

Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I’m bringing a paperback on tomorrow’s trip along with 2 movies on my phone. I think I’ll also eat more at dinner and go for a night hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the hangtime hook for my ridgeline so if I have cell service, I’ll just pop up YouTube and enjoy a few videos

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    A small fire if allowed in the area and star gazing when they are visible is enough to entertain me. I usually nod off reading at home so the same works on a trip.
    Lurker for years here - Trying to increase my post count so I can sell one of my hammocks.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I always bring my kindle, ( for some strange reason, a good murder mystery hits the spot while on a solo hike!). I also bring a small notebook to write down thoughts and sketch a few ideas out. Long nights are a great time to meditate, or just be quiet (a rare and very valuable thing in our modern world!). I havnt done it yet, but a light weight instrument like a harmonica or a wooden native american flute might be fun. Or, bring a small piece of wood along and do some carving! ( or carve a flute- lots of youtube videos show how).
    Last edited by stevebo; 12-30-2023 at 17:12.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    When camping alone, I probably just watch stuff on my phone. Because I like to go to bed warm, I also like to do a short night hike to activate the internal engine and get metabolism going. With a group, telling lies and stories around a campfire does the job for me. In the final analysis, I'll have to admit that most people would label what I do at camp as "lollygagging"
    Lollygagging is such a great term! I was reading an old Colin Fletcher book the other day- he was talking about "just mucking about". ( same concept but in that classic British way, sounds way more sophisticated !)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast