Homemade or GT double
    Tarp
    Da Supafly
    Insulation
    KAQ top & bottom!
    Suspension
    Diy strap and togg

Smile SOL Underquilt...is it good?

So as always, I am surfing the inter-webs trying to find new ways people make hammock and camping stuff when I came across this video,
    https://youtu.be/gN4eVKtsuqc . I came across it some time ago to be honest, but remembered it here lately. Has anyone tried this? What are your thoughts? I would like to incorporate it in between an outer and inner ripstop she'll but I know mylar doesn't like thread injectors! But what about heat sealing it? I know that you can heat seal/bond nylon together at low temperatures, I've done it. And I also know you can heat seal mylar. But what about both together? CAN IT BE DONE!?! I don't know, that's why I'm on here!
    The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no holes, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Never tried it, but I'd love to hear about it if you decide to !

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Perhaps a vinyl tape would work for both adhering to the survival blanket and sewing to the ripstop. The vinyl will accept sewing to the ripstop better and there are plenty of adhesives that should give you a permanent bond to the blanket.

Just a thought...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

I used clear Gorilla tape to seal the hem and also to reinforce the open ends. Used 550 cord to gather the ends. Works great with my PLUQ. Packs small and light. Use the 2 person heat sheet

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't put a lot of time or money in it, especially if you're in Missouri (it's cold there, isn't it?). I never had much luck with mylar and gave up on it quickly. Too flimsy.

Besides, vapor barriers and I don't get along too well. I really wouldn't waste all the time the guy did in the video. That's a lot of effort for a space blanket. What I did was just tape the space blanket to the ccf pad with duct tape. It took just a few minutes.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Homemade or GT double
    Tarp
    Da Supafly
    Insulation
    KAQ top & bottom!
    Suspension
    Diy strap and togg
    Thanks for all the replies guys, the coldest it usually gets in missouri is about 15-20°F. I ended up purchasing this emergency blanket, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/835...anket-od-green , it's thicker than most and looks more appealing than bright orange. It's supposedly the heavy duty and it looks pretty tough from some videos I've seen of it. I may sandwich it in between some ripstop. I also use a ccf pad, (cheapo from walmart), and my homemade 6.0 oz/yd^2 climashield top quilt. I'll report back, because it arrives by UPS today. May post some pictures of my process. I bought two so if I mess up or I might make another topquilt!
    The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no holes, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy

Hammock
    Homemade or GT double
    Tarp
    Da Supafly
    Insulation
    KAQ top & bottom!
    Suspension
    Diy strap and togg
    20150912_081803.jpg20150912_081653.jpg20150912_082934.jpg20150912_082339.jpg
    So here is my SOL heavy duty OD green emergency blanket I got in the mail. Here's some points: it's much thicker than a bargain brand mylar sheet, it's definitely stronger, not as loud as your typical mylar sheet but does still have some noise. It's doesn't shred into pieces if it gets cut, it's more like when you pull on an outdoor trash bag too hard, it stretches alot then makes a small tear. Some great about it, is that it CAN be sewn, as the picture shows, it still retains it's strength! All in all, looks like a great product, lookin to sandwich this thing between some ripstop and make an UQ and possibly a top quilt . We'll hope this helps guys!
    Last edited by Dill Pickle; 09-12-2015 at 10:16. Reason: added an extra picture

Hammock
    DIY 12ft 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Asym
    Images
    How did it work out for you? Planning to build one myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The OP hasn't posted on the forums in a couple of years - I doubt you'll get an answer. This thread is about three years old!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12ft 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Asym
    Images
    Well hope he didn't freeze to death in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast