Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web

What size Tarp

I posted a question in here a few days ago and one of the fellows said that he thought that I would go to a bigger tarp. I have a 10 x 10 already and can rig it with doors for rainy hanging and its beautiful in porch mode. I have a Eno Doublenest which is a shorter hammock because, well...I am a shorter girl and my permenant ridgeline is 93 inches. I can hang it so I can almost stand up straight under it with less then a foot of space showing at the bottom. Tell me from your experience what is the best size tarp? Or is it just a preference, like whatever floats your boat?

Thanks Pixie
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Go with what floats YOUR boat your conditions your situation.
    Use all the great advice, ideas, etc that this forum offers to improve upon or make use of what applies to you

I will use a simple basic Asym tarp to a full on cotton canvas winter tarp (which is in the DIY testing plan for this winter in cold conditions)

Be not afraid to part from the herd
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousPixie View Post
    [...] I have a 10 x 10 already and can rig it with doors for rainy hanging and its beautiful in porch mode. I have a Eno Doublenest which is a shorter hammock because, well...I am a shorter girl and my permenant ridgeline is 93 inches. I can hang it so I can almost stand up straight under it with less then a foot of space showing at the bottom. Tell me from your experience what is the best size tarp? Or is it just a preference, like whatever floats your boat?
    I've heard you need at least 1 foot past each end of your hammock, but I break that rule. My hammock SRL is just under 9' and my tarps RL is only 10', but I also pitch it with doors which has proven to be better than just having a longer tarp. I've now hung in it under heavy rain and howling wind. My tarp is dwarfed by your 10x10, you should be perfectly fine esp pitched with doors.

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think it really comes down to personal preference. I use a Kelty Noah 12. It is big and a little heavy, but I like setting it up with the doors not just to protect from elements, but I like a little privacy as well. When set up, I can almost stand up straight and the walls just about reach the ground. Plus, when in porch mode, your porch is huge. Also couldn't beat the price when I picked it up.

For my 12' hammock with 10' ridgeline, my DIY 12x10' rectangular tarp has been great thus far. No sideways driving rain yet though; funny, I'm almost wishing for bad weather to test it out...

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    As long as your tarp is keeping you dry then it is doing its job. Have you used your 10x10 in a bad rainstorm? It is always best to know from experience, but it sounds like you have over a foot or margin on each end, which is reasonable.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    I got stuck under it the other day in a thunderstorm. Stayed dry. There was a river of water under me, but I was dry. Lol

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use different tarps depending on the time of year and weather. Summer tarps and winter tarps. An example, OES MacCat deluxe for the summer and a OES 10x10 in the winter. It is more to keep the wind from robbing me of heat. The smaller one is faster to set up and nicer for viewing

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I personally find that the right size tarp is the same size as your hammock. I.e. A 10' hammock needs at least a 10' tarp for adequate coverage. I like them to be the same size because in windy and could conditions you can snug the hammock tighter to the tarp ridge line.

Some like a tarp 1' bigger. A 12' tarp for an 11' hammock for example. I'm not a fan because my hammock has to hang lower and is more likely to get wind and splashed rain issues.

My personal tarp worked out to final dimensions if 10'9 x 9'6. I use this 10'9 tarp with an 11' hammock. My suspension is 8" loops with cinch buckles. They JUST fit under the tarp. Even slightly undersized I have never gotten wet hanging under a number of deluges this year.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    I started out with an eno superfly and I felt like that just east enough coverage for the weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast