Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: What size Tarp

  1. #21
    Senior Member PreciousPixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Phenix City, AL
    Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you...
    My thing is....I am heading off into the woods, just me and my dog. Nobody ever wants to go and that is really fine with me. I want to be prepared for the worse and thankfully the worse never happens.
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousPixie View Post
    My thing is....I am heading off into the woods, just me and my dog. Nobody ever wants to go and that is really fine with me. I want to be prepared for the worse and thankfully the worse never happens.
    So you're going with all of your best friends...

    (The worst rarely happens: just once!)
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-10-2015 at 10:19.

  3. #23
    Senior Member PreciousPixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Phenix City, AL
    Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    So you're going with all of your best friends...

    (The worst rarely happens: just once!)
    Yeppers!!! No better company!!
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

  4. #24
    Senior Member BanjoPicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Efland, NC
    Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Posts
    164
    Images
    3
    Small tarps work great during times when you DON'T need a tarp…. like when you are walking. The smaller the better!

    Larger tarps work great during the times when you DO need a tarp… like at 2:30 in the morning with a cold hard driving rain. Coverage is king!

    Since you have to deal with both situations, at least while backpacking, you have to come up with a compromise that will work for you. There is no right or wrong answer, as long as you have a reliable system that can keep you from getting into a dangerous hypothermic condition. Hypothermia can happen even in the summer, so it is always something to consider.

  5. #25
    Senior Member PreciousPixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Phenix City, AL
    Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPicker View Post
    Small tarps work great during times when you DON'T need a tarp…. like when you are walking. The smaller the better!

    Larger tarps work great during the times when you DO need a tarp… like at 2:30 in the morning with a cold hard driving rain. Coverage is king!

    Since you have to deal with both situations, at least while backpacking, you have to come up with a compromise that will work for you. There is no right or wrong answer, as long as you have a reliable system that can keep you from getting into a dangerous hypothermic condition. Hypothermia can happen even in the summer, so it is always something to consider.
    I have a light weight one that I carry for ground cover. I have learned to always be prepared for a chill. Thanks!
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

  6. #26
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    14,053
    Images
    3
    Yep, I had a couple of bouts of hypothermia this winter (tipped my canoe, twice in two days). It's probably been 20 years since I had hypothermia so it was a bit of a shock. I guess I should fatten up because my teeth were rattling my brain!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-10-2015 at 14:02.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #27
    Senior Member PreciousPixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Phenix City, AL
    Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yep, I had a couple of bouts of hypothermia this winter (tipped my canoe, twice in two days). It's probably been 20 years since I had hypothermia so it was a bit of a shock. I guess I should fatten up because my teeth were rattling my brain!
    Never had it and don't want it!
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousPixie View Post
    Never had it and don't want it!
    I could say that about any number of things!

    The more I read here, the more I think you need three or four tarps. After all, I'm pretty sure that it won't be long and you will have at least that many hammocks.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Similar Threads

    1. tarp size for the RR
      By Grizzly-outdoors in forum Warbonnet Hammocks
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-28-2013, 19:41
    2. Tarp size?
      By sploiz in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-14-2013, 07:03
    3. Tarp size
      By madkipper in forum Weather Protection
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-11-2012, 08:09
    4. Tarp Size.
      By nighthawk156 in forum Weather Protection
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 03-11-2009, 15:44
    5. Tarp Size
      By Panama Snail in forum General Hammock Talk
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 07-20-2007, 07:16

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •