Hammock
    Homemade or GT double
    Tarp
    Da Supafly
    Insulation
    KAQ top & bottom!
    Suspension
    Diy strap and togg

Lightbulb WARMER THAN DOWN synthetic insulation?!?!

Come one, come all, my fellow Diy-ers of the woods!
    A synthetic insulation that boasts 1.5 times more warmth than down? These folks can't be serious, right? The miracle insulation is indeed called, Quilter's Dream Puff batting. It comes in many different sizes, ranging from the wee small crib size to the benevolent boastrious king size. Here's a link if you are interested,
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/0361602/q...122-x-122-king . After reading the "warmer than down" statement I had to give em a call and get the low down on the down low. Come to find out, this stuff is said to be warmer, "by weight" which is also confusing because it comes in at 3.5-4 oz/yd^2 with only 1/3"-1/2" of loft. I asked the wonderful lady what down fill power was used to test against this fill and she didn't know, but she said the test was conducted 10 years ago by an independent testing facility. My question for you all is, have any of you tried this "miracle" insulation in any of your projects? If so, what did you think? If not, comment anyways on your thoughts.
    The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no holes, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's most definitely compared to like 500 down or something like that – especially if it's a 10+ year old technology.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Please let us know if you end up testing. I'm sure the DIY community would sing your praise.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    Not sure if it helps, but I found this:

"Fibers [of Dream Puff] are Carded, Crosslapped & Thermally Bonded*"

"*Thermal Bonding is a process that interlocks the fibers through the use of heat energy. For Dream Wool and Dream Puff, we use a special fine denier polyester for the thermal bonding. Thermal bonding is an environmentally (absent of chemical resin binders) favorable technology.

The heat in the thermal bonding process softens the surface of the fiber. At the melting point, fibers in contact with each other will form strong bonds, which holds the batting together. When this is cooled the bonding points solidify and ensure the strength and performance of the batting."

source: http://www.wholesalequiltbatting.com...sers_guide.htm

Polyester batting? I'll pass, let us know if you try it. But I do wish this had panned out:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-DIY-Project!
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Images
    Sooner or later we'll end up with a synthetic that's comparable to 1000FP or better. Its inevitable IMO but its pretty impressive Birds have something we still haven't figured out how to beat.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    As I understand it, 1" of Climashield (which is basically a polyester batting) is warmer than 1" of down. BUT… it is also heavier.

So it is possible that this stuff is warmer too… and heavier. The advantage of down is that it is the warmest for a given weight.

I do not claim to be an expert in the is area... this is just my understanding.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I never put much faith into these kinds of statements. Like when you hear "this bug has 4 times the amount of protein as a T-Bone steak".

Well yeah, per weight. It would do me some good if I could find, and stomach, about 70,000 of those bugs!

Or how a spider web is stronger than steel. Well, I've never knocked a steel sky scraper down by spitting on it

Hammock
    Homemade or GT double
    Tarp
    Da Supafly
    Insulation
    KAQ top & bottom!
    Suspension
    Diy strap and togg
    I wish downlite panned out too! I reckon someone could create an account and take orders for fellow HF members, but that could get messy. I may end up trying the Dream Puff, it looks promising but I'd like to know it's temperature rating. However, I am always on the lookout for new materials and fabrics for the diy folks, and I did come across the company Seattle Fabrics and they have a quilted synthetic insulation that is on a taffeta lining which would only require an outer shell to make a top quilt or underquilt. It's like $13 a yard and it comes in 60 inch width. I believe it is an 8 ounce per square yard batting. Anyone ever try this out before? I may need to start a new thread, but just wondering.
    The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no holes, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling - UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPicker View Post
    As I understand it, 1" of Climashield (which is basically a polyester batting) is warmer than 1" of down. BUT… it is also heavier.

So it is possible that this stuff is warmer too… and heavier. The advantage of down is that it is the warmest for a given weight.

I do not claim to be an expert in the is area... this is just my understanding.
    And that it is more compressible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast