Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I thought for sure at 2:00 you were going over and out backwards!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have the same problem! I contacted Papa Smurf (since I love my T.Bird & do not want to part with it), his suggestion was that I am suffering from the "Bucket Effect".

I think for me shallower hammocks work the best, my ENO double is okay, all of my Hennessy's except the Ultra Light are devils to get out of. I have a couple of other ultra light hammocks I pop right out of. Really frustrating.

My legs simply are too short in relation to how low my derriere is in the hammock. If I can get a toe hold on the ground, I can get up and out. a slight hill or higher ground on one side helps with the extraction. Handholds, pull ups, line suspended from a tree do not help (my shoulders are delicate so I must be careful not to dislocate them, maybe that is part of the problem. My Simply Light hammock is reasonably easy exit, otherwise the UL seem to work the best. Bridge hammocks work very well, it is just that I really like my T.Bird until I need to exit.

I am sure there are others with the same issue, we need help, maybe the problem is short legs?

My legs can't be short, they reach the ground when I walk!

As well as using my prussik handles, I tend to have to rock a couple of times before launching myself at the ground. The dynamic movement rocks me over the lip.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Never really thought about it. I have a BB XLC. I just swing my legs out and stand up, I think. ha ha ha.
    I'll have to pay closer attention when getting out next time.
    I used to have a hard time getting out when I used a sleeping bag. Topquilt solved that issue.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiker View Post
    Swing legs out touch ground & walk backwards.
    Yup. What he said.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hmmm...I haven't really thought about it, but I just tried it out.
    Apparently, I just swing my legs out and stand. I don't grab anything. I do put my arms in front of me for some balance tho.

Looks like 50 squat thrusts a day for you til you get it....LOL.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The easy answer is to only use the WBBB since it's the easiest. But, this doesn't answer the larger question.

First, start with getting a SRL. This will help you in always getting the right sag to make it easier for the next step.

Second, try to get that 30* angle on the straps even though you have a SRL. This will help to keep the entire hammock system (hammock body and suspension) from "stretching" and getting lower than you set it.

Then, get the hammock height hung right for your leg size.

I also have short legs with a tall torso. Hang your hammock low so the UQ(if used) is about 6" or so off the ground. Basically, try to ensure the hammock is a little lower than chair height. By lowering the hammock, your lowering the "bucket" height so your feet will touch the ground easier.

Adjust the height until it is a good balance between exiting and standing. Getting your feet on the ground may be the easy part if you have bad knees or back. After a few hangs it does get easier to eyeball it all.

Hope this helps.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    I have the same problem! I contacted Papa Smurf (since I love my T.Bird & do not want to part with it), his suggestion was that I am suffering from the "Bucket Effect".

I think for me shallower hammocks work the best, my ENO double is okay, all of my Hennessy's except the Ultra Light are devils to get out of. I have a couple of other ultra light hammocks I pop right out of. Really frustrating.
    Of course, there's always the Hennessy Classic, which negates all the flipping over the side [grabbing hat, and making a fast getaway...]

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I'm short and hang my hammock high, so when I get out, I'm already standing up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12