Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Indoor Hammocking with Dock Cleats?

My wife and I are going to mount a hammock in our bedroom.

I'm attempting to place a couple hang points on my (rented) walls, and determined to screw a 2x6 into 2-3 studs in either side. I was looking at putting some eye bolts in the 2x6's ( likely putting a small hole in the drywall for the protruding nut), when I saw a few marine dock cleats at the hardware store.

Has anyone tried hanging their hammock indoors from dock cleats mounted on the walls? Anyone have any tips? If no one has tried it, could some math geeks help me determine the type of clear and mounting hardware I'll need to safely support a myself and my wife?

I can provide pictures of the finished set up once we've figured it out.

I've never heard about using dock cleats before, but I do know that Derek Hansen from the ultimate hang has a walkthrough on hanging indoors using eye screws.

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/h...mmock-indoors/

Hope this helps
    "I have taken all knowledge to be my province"
    Sir Francis Bacon

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I remember seeing someone ask about this on the forum before. I don't know if they went through with it. It may be worth tracking down the thread and asking that person.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/.../t-104322.html

Here's the post I was thinking of, and it's not as helpful about the cleats as I thought I remembered.

It was a good effort! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

My premise is that since the cleats are used to hold heavy boats to the dock, since it's a dynamic weight, it should be quite effective for a hammock anchor. Add to that, using the same knot traditionally used to tie a boat to said cleat should be quite secure. It's also more aesthetically pleasing!

The only thing I'm potentially concerned about is the angle, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The boat weight is a deceptive figure. It is dynamic but it is bouyant weight. That is to say, on dry dock the boat may weigh 20000 pounds, but in the water the effective weight is much less.

Many of the dock cleats I have seen are made of pot metal which is fragile and easily breakable. I would go with a more tried and true system if it was my choice to make.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gretssirob View Post
    My wife and I are going to mount a hammock in our bedroom.

I'm attempting to place a couple hang points on my (rented) walls, and determined to screw a 2x6 into 2-3 studs in either side. I was looking at putting some eye bolts in the 2x6's ( likely putting a small hole in the drywall...
    Perhaps you should first ask your landlord thereby avoiding any awkward security deposit refund discussion at move out.

Of the few folks I know that hang in their house, all use a hammock stand. They also own their house.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I think it's a great idea to use boating hardware, maybe even combine a sheave and a deck cleat to make an adjustable arrangement with more aesthetic appeal. Sure there are plenty of inexpensive ways to go about hanging indoors but why not dress it up, after all this is inside your home.

Another way to go would be old barn hardware, sheaves, etc, used for handling hay. I've thought about fabbing up a deck cleat from a hardwood and weather/distress it outdoors, combine that with an old sheave and some vintage hemp rope, maybe splice a loop on one end around a thimble. Could be a great look if that fit's your home's décor.

Keep your eye out at flea markets for cool looking old hardware, dig in those dusty boxes of junk, all sorts of treasure can be found for bargain prices.

David

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    some vintage hemp rope, maybe splice a loop on one end around a thimble. Could be a great look if that fit's your home's décor.
    Note of warning... vintage hemp rope could be a very poor choice to use for suspension. Having used hemp for theatrical rigging purposes I can state with certainty hemp can be treacherous. It rots from the inside out. The outside of the rope can appear to be in beautiful shape, but the insides can be dry rotted away. When that happens the integrity of the rope is compromised. For decorative purposes, no problem. For loading... tread carefully.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I don't think a deck cleat with a figure 8 hitch would have any issue holding the weight, but the angle is tricky as you mention. Maybe a compromise between tried-and-tested and nautical would be to run your line through an eye-bolt, down the wall a bit and then figure-8 it on a cleat. Maybe even put a cam cleat in between the eye-bolt and deck cleat for a little added grip and more nauticalness (if that's a word).
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast