Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

IL - Garden of the Gods - October 10th and 11th

Let's get a group hang and hike going for the weekend of the 10th in October. I'm guessing camping on the R2R trail and we can figure out the hiking part as we go along. Hopefully we'll get some water in the creeks before then, Survivor, otherwise it's just a heavier pack!

I can be down there early in the afternoon on Friday the 9th if need be, to cache water or to secure a decent spot. Don't know how crowded it will get on the weekend.

Who's in?

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Count me in Andy; really want to hike this place. By then I'm sure we'll have some cooler weather! I'll be there.
    Gideon

I might be free that weekend, if so I am in.

Hammock
    dd hammock
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    hg incubator 20
    Suspension
    whoopie!
    hey guys..i got into hammock camping again, and i always wanted to do a group hang. Id love to go to this event. Last time i went to the garden of the gods was a few years ago, and i had a tent..and worse..i got a really bad flu..and ended up shivering in my car for the night...im up to trying it again..but this time with my hammock...hopefully i should have my uq by then. if you can send some directions..im in chicago..that would be great

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    It would be great to have you Trixie's Dad! I've never been to this place and I'm not completely sure which trail we're planning to hike but here's a link to the national forest page for this area:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/shawn...10685&actid=50

I'm sure we'll figure out the details as we get a bit closer!
    Enjoy the day
    Gideon

Hammock
    dd hammock
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    hg incubator 20
    Suspension
    whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Let's get a group hang and hike going for the weekend of the 10th in October. I'm guessing camping on the R2R trail and we can figure out the hiking part as we go along. Hopefully we'll get some water in the creeks before then, Survivor, otherwise it's just a heavier pack!

I can be down there early in the afternoon on Friday the 9th if need be, to cache water or to secure a decent spot. Don't know how crowded it will get on the weekend.

Who's in?
    I am so psyched. I'll probably be there earlier as well. I'm coming from the city of Chicago...so it's a bit of a trek. Seeing the videos of the group hangs like the frozen butt..i was wondering if we're going to have a buffet style shindig? I usually use a single hobo stove or msr pocket rocket and cookup prepared freeze dried camp food..but if there's a grill there..i could bring some meat or something..

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I was thinking we'd camp on the R2R trail. Not sure when everyone can plan on being down there, trixies dad and I can be down there Friday but for people that have to work a Saturday hike and camp set up would probably work best. I still have the guidebook for the R2R, there are two nice, large flat overlooks with plenty of trees that I have the GPS markers for, they're right on the trail and not hard to find once on the trail going west. Basically they're just rock outcroppings off the trail, but from what I remember you could have put 10 or so hammocks around each area. Nice spots, great views with fire pits and logs to sit on. I would say about 3 miles in from parking. When I was there in May one of them was taken by tent campers, don't remember if it was a weekend or not.

I'd like to hike the main valley (which is a spur off the R2R,) I'll work on the maps this week and put something up before the weekend is out.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I think Andy just became our official trip planner!

Sounds all good to me. I can probably make it over for Friday evening. Looking forward to the "first time in a new place" feeling!
    Gideon

Hammock
    DIY,Dream and Dutch
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, HG ,AHE
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just a heads up to you guys planning this trip,your gonna be in the archery deer hunting season,so I would recommend you wear some blaze orange for safety.I would like to make the trip,but already have plans set to be hunting!

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    **** it! I hate wearing the kevlar flak vest on my hikes! Though I do love using my kevlar tree straps! Bright yellow and stained with sap! Sap probably weighs more than they do...

I think to stay legal we have to camp on the R2R, but the good stuff is on the spurs and loops, about 5 miles total on the map. I'd say we set up camp on Friday a mile or two west from the main park down the R2R, hike back and explore the loops on Saturday. I just need to be in a place to see the Rams kick the snot out of the Packers on Sunday at Noon. I'll probably watch it at Eddyville, because I love the Shawnee Restaurant and Lounge. And I probably won't hike from GOG through Lusk Creek to Eddyville.

Lusk Creek is a beautiful place. And it makes grown men cry. Tough hike...Garder of the gods trail map.jpgalltrails-garden-of-the-gods.pdfmap 3.pdf
    Last edited by AndyG; 09-15-2015 at 22:40.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast