Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web

Moisture Barriers

I am pretty new to hammocking and just bought a down quilt and I have heard lots of talk on here about moisture barriers. I am wondering what I can wear at night to help with this. I am a runner too and have lots of snythetic clothing that I wear as base layers for running in the winter. Also have some heat gear from UnderArmour. Will this stuff do? Hoping to not spend any more money on anything right now. Thanks in Advance, Pixie

Life is too short to sit on the couch!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I think you are looking for Vapor Barriers to keep moisture out of your insulation. The underarmour type sports wear wicks moisture from your body out. Your goal here is to keep condensation and excess body moisture out of your hammock insulation.
    The short answer is VB clothing (Warmlite or simple Frogg Togg UL rain suit).
    This post has last winter's experiments - post #50 is a summary of my results and a link to the theory of VBs: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rs-this-winter
    Last edited by oldpappy; 09-03-2015 at 13:40.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I think you are looking for Vapor Barriers to keep moisture out of your insulation. The underarmour type sports wear wicks moisture from your body out. Your goal here is to keep condensation and excess body moisture out of your hammock insulation.
    The short answer is VB clothing (Warmlite or simple Frogg Togg UL rain suit).
    This post has last winter's experiments - post #50 is a summary of my results and a link to the theory of VBs: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rs-this-winter
    Thanks oldpappy. So basically I am keeping the sweat in?
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousPixie View Post
    Thanks oldpappy. So basically I am keeping the sweat in?
    Kind of. VBs are used in cold weather (below about 40F to sleep). Even in these temps you body puts off moisture. The warm air next to you has a high dew point (holds more water) but somewhere within your insulation this warm moist air reaches a cool enough spot that the moisture condenses into water (the dew point - just like the dew on grass each morning). The VB goes next to your skin which creates a 'micro-climate'. Your body (at rest) feels all is as should be and it does not need to perspire/release more moisture, plus the 'just right' moisture that is within the VB is blocked from going into your insulation.
    A couple other notes:
    Warmlite and Frogg Togg UL rain suit both have 'fuzzy stuff' bonded to the inside which creates a small air pocket and keeps the VB from directly contacting your skin = much more comfortable/no wet feeling like a silnylon or plastic rain suit would.
    It is important that you are not exerting yourself wearing a VB, which would cause you to sweat to cool down. Hiking, biking, chopping wood etc. wearing a VB in a very cold environments requires constant awareness to not overheat.
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Kind of. VBs are used in cold weather (below about 40F to sleep). Even in these temps you body puts off moisture. The warm air next to you has a high dew point (holds more water) but somewhere within your insulation this warm moist air reaches a cool enough spot that the moisture condenses into water (the dew point - just like the dew on grass each morning). The VB goes next to your skin which creates a 'micro-climate'. Your body (at rest) feels all is as should be and it does not need to perspire/release more moisture, plus the 'just right' moisture that is within the VB is blocked from going into your insulation.
    A couple other notes:
    Warmlite and Frogg Togg UL rain suit both have 'fuzzy stuff' bonded to the inside which creates a small air pocket and keeps the VB from directly contacting your skin = much more comfortable/no wet feeling like a silnylon or plastic rain suit would.
    It is important that you are not exerting yourself wearing a VB, which would cause you to sweat to cool down. Hiking, biking, chopping wood etc. wearing a VB in a very cold environments requires constant awareness to not overheat.
    I like the idea that it is fuzzy. I can't stand to be hot and try to sleep.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    With Down I would not be worried about moisture from just you.....down has the ability to move moisture out and quickly vent it to the surrounding air.
    Pay more attention to keeping Dew off the outside of the quilts....but if any moisture does accumulate then take some time to air them out by day to dry.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    I ordered a underquilt protector for the underquilt , that's what I needed, correct? I have a hammock gear down top quilt coming, should I put something on it? Some kind of moisture barrier?

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    The UQ protector is great if your tarp does not quite cover the sideways rain or strong winds in cold weather, otherwise IMO not needed.
    Now for dew issues, read this
    http://windowoutdoors.com/WindowOutd...0Radiation.htm

This gives you a idea what your up against for dew and condensation issues that can afflict one in the great outdoors.

My one very effect means of protecting the quilts and hammock from dew is, beyond what the tarp and ones location offers, is to toss a fibrous type blanket, like fleece, over the ridge line and let it soak up the dew and you and your quilts remain in your warmer micro climate underneath keeping the dew point at bay

Big thing is test test test when you have your top quilt and begin to understand how the climate in your area affects your setup and you ...then adjust accordingly
    Another tarp may be next in your arsenal....but go use what you have already before jumping ahead any more.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    The UQ protector is great if your tarp does not quite cover the sideways rain or strong winds in cold weather, otherwise IMO not needed.
    Now for dew issues, read this
    http://windowoutdoors.com/WindowOutd...0Radiation.htm

This gives you a idea what your up against for dew and condensation issues that can afflict one in the great outdoors.

My one very effect means of protecting the quilts and hammock from dew is, beyond what the tarp and ones location offers, is to toss a fibrous type blanket, like fleece, over the ridge line and let it soak up the dew and you and your quilts remain in your warmer micro climate underneath keeping the dew point at bay

Big thing is test test test when you have your top quilt and begin to understand how the climate in your area affects your setup and you ...then adjust accordingly
    Another tarp may be next in your arsenal....but go use what you have already before jumping ahead any more.
    I have a 10 x 10 Etowah silinylon which I love dearly. Seam sealed of course. Taking it out this weekend. Thanks for the link

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I think you are ready to go - get a few nights out then decide what else you may need/want.
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast