Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hi Zeusrex, I used one of these stands for years. I also was concerned about the length wise swaying you mentioned, but I can't say I ever noticed any problems that caused by that. Still, I would occasionally run a cord on each end from the apex either to a stake in the ground, or to a tree or bush or some hardware on a wall. This greatly minimized the swaying and it felt way more stable. But I was never sure it was really needed. But it did feel more solid.

I can not remember exactly how I attached the cord to the stand, I just know I did so. I suppose some caution might be needed to make sure the cord can not separate any of the stand connectors.
    Hi BillyBob,

Thank you for the confirmation that it's probably nothing to worry about. I've been toying with the idea of running a line from one end down to an anchor in the wall (this is a bed-replacement stand) to minimize the sway away from the wall, and am brainstorming options for minimizing damage to the wall when swaying towards the wall. I'm thinking a few inches of pool noodle might just be the best option, though I haven't had a chance to test it, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeusrex View Post
    Hi BillyBob,

Thank you for the confirmation that it's probably nothing to worry about. I've been toying with the idea of running a line from one end down to an anchor in the wall (this is a bed-replacement stand) to minimize the sway away from the wall, and am brainstorming options for minimizing damage to the wall when swaying towards the wall. I'm thinking a few inches of pool noodle might just be the best option, though I haven't had a chance to test it, yet.
    How about a strut instead of a line?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    How about a strut instead of a line?
    Hey Tomin,

Would you mind clarifying your suggestion? Do you mean running hardware from the end of the stand to the wall to affix it that way? If so, I'm not opposed to that (in theory), but I'm not sure I could do it practically. I'd need a way to attach the hardware to the stand in its current configuration which might be challenging.

One of the advantages of using cordage, is that it can be easily removed so the stands can be collapsed and moved out of the way for vacuuming or other activities that might require space. A hardware solution could work if there is a simple-ish way to detach/reattach it to the wall. Do you have any suggestions?

Right now, the concept I have in mind would involve a pair of eyebolts, one secured near the sole plate, the other near the top plate. The cordage would run between them loose enough that they can be soft-shackled to the joint-connectors at the top of the legs, but tight enough to minimize away-from-wall movement. I'd likely use a midshipman's hitch on one end of the line to allow for adjustments as needed.

Here's a proof-of-concept photo to help visualize what I'm describing:

Soft-Shackle Solution.jpg

Note that for this to work with my soft-shackle, the connectors had to be turned around to "kiss" each other rather than put in the back-to-back configuration that I had in a prior post. I have found that this configuration, while it takes the legs out of lateral alignment with each other, it does give them a little more length-wise stability. Not enough to eliminate the sway that I'm trying to eliminate with this line-and-shackle configuration, but enough to notice when loading and unloading, so might be the final config for the stands.

Hey TominMN,

... Do you have any suggestions?

Right now, the concept I have in mind would involve a pair of eyebolts, one secured near the sole plate, the other near the top plate. The cordage would run between them loose enough that they can be soft-shackled to the joint-connectors at the top of the legs, but tight enough to minimize away-from-wall movement. I'd likely use a midshipman's hitch on one end of the line to allow for adjustments as needed.

How about this?

A small addition to your idea:

Let the connector at the wall end extend a bit beyond the top rail. Then insert a short piece of top rail material, projecting past the connector. Put a protective cap (maybe quite large?) on the end that abuts the wall. (I don't know where you attach your hammock suspension. Add an eyebolt to that strut if needed at all for a hammock suspension point.) I'd put a trucker's hitch in that cord to be able to snug it tightly. Easier to get tight than a midshipman's hitch for this application.

(That soft shackle doesn't need to go through both eyebolts...)
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-17-2024 at 10:30.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    How about this?

A small addition to your idea:

Let the connector at the wall end extend a bit beyond the top rail. Then insert a short piece of top rail material, projecting past the connector. Put a protective cap (maybe quite large?) on the end that abuts the wall. (I don't know where you attach your hammock suspension. Add an eyebolt to that strut if needed at all for a hammock suspension point.) I'd put a trucker's hitch in that cord to be able to snug it tightly. Easier to get tight than a midshipman's hitch for this application.
    Okay, I see what you're saying. I won't be able to add anything to the end of the ridgepole due to how the hammock is suspended from it, see image below. But even if I modify how it hangs by adding additional hardware with an eyebolt (which I don't think I'd trust to hold in top rail, considering my beefy figure), it would increase the stand's length too much for my smallish bedroom. Currently the stand is 12 feet long. The bedroom is only about 14 feet long which is already a tighter fit than I'm happy with considering there will be two hammocks in the room so whoever is further from the door will always have to navigate around the other to get in and out. And since my wife and I have very different sleep schedules, that person will almost certainly be me (first to bed, first to rise... by 3+ hours). I can't really shorten the stands, either, as our hammocks are Brazilians over 11' long. The packaging said shortest anchor distance is 10' 6", but I can't imagine it's the most comfortable hang if set up shorter than the length of the hammock.

Suspension Connection.png
    The image isn't super clear, but the suspension is 1,000 lb ratchet strap webbing and hook. Joe posted a better image of his a couple pages back. This configuration solves some other problems I was having getting the suspension to work right.

I'd put a trucker's hitch in that cord to be able to snug it tightly. Easier to get tight than a midshipman's hitch for this application.
    I'd thought about that. I do like me a trucker's hitch, but my wife's not much for knots and we don't need the line to be super snug. Just tight enough that it doesn't go anywhere when we get in and out, and a midshipman is easy to adjust without having to re-tie.

Maybe I'll set one up with trucker's and the other with midshipman and see if there's a noticeable difference in how the stands behave.

(That soft shackle doesn't need to go through both eyebolts...)
    Good call. I just threw it together real quick to take that picture for my previous post. I think my brain said "Tie them together to keep them from separating", but looking at the picture, I can see the flaw in that logic. There's nothing about that soft shackle keeping the connectors from pulling apart. My brain was clearly talking out its butt

Okay, I see what you're saying. I won't be able to add anything to the end of the ridgepole due to how the hammock is suspended from it, see image below. But even if I modify how it hangs by adding additional hardware with an eyebolt (which I don't think I'd trust to hold in top rail, considering my beefy figure), it would increase the stand's length too much for my smallish bedroom.
    For sure you can add to the end, even if you don't want to trust an eyebolt: Make a loop of rope (or even cable). Slip it over the end and hang that strap hook from that instead of the end of the tube.

• + New Posts
  • Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576