Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobScottStewart View Post
    As I was lying in the hammock the foot end slid across the floor towards the head end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OK, foot end towards the head end, got it. That makes more sense. Although, I've never had that happen if I was attached to the end caps. Only if I was instead attached to the L bracket connectors from Tarps.com. In the latter case they can move freely. Although even then I have never had the actual feet move enough that I could tell. I ended up putting some small sheet metal screws into the top rail to keep the L brackets from moving.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, foot end towards the head end, got it. That makes more sense. Although, I've never had that happen if I was attached to the end caps. Only if I was instead attached to the L bracket connectors from Tarps.com. In the latter case they can move freely. Although even then I have never had the actual feet move enough that I could tell. I ended up putting some small sheet metal screws into the top rail to keep the L brackets from moving.
    Yeah I think there was a problem with the top rail. From looking at the leftover pieces i think some might have been bent and I missed it.

Yeah I think there was a problem with the top rail. From looking at the leftover pieces i think some might have been bent and I missed it.

Wow, that is a weird failure I would not have anticipated. What is the connector(s) you were using to connect the pieces of the top rail? The top rail failing massively is the only way the feet could possibly move towards one another as the top rail I assume failed upwards. I am using the "swaged" ended top fence rail where the one piece is tapered and slips inside the other rail piece...and then a little connector support (which is kind of loose so I don't think that even does much). I see the top rail very slightly flex when I get in the hammock and that's about it. (I weight about the same as you do). I hang on those metal end caps as well, which felt a bit wimpy but have still held up well. Been using mine daily since I originally posted this thread, looks like about 5 years ago.

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    Wow, that is a weird failure I would not have anticipated. What is the connector(s) you were using to connect the pieces of the top rail? The top rail failing massively is the only way the feet could possibly move towards one another as the top rail I assume failed upwards. I am using the "swaged" ended top fence rail where the one piece is tapered and slips inside the other rail piece...and then a little connector support (which is kind of loose so I don't think that even does much). I see the top rail very slightly flex when I get in the hammock and that's about it. (I weight about the same as you do). I hang on those metal end caps as well, which felt a bit wimpy but have still held up well. Been using mine daily since I originally posted this thread, looks like about 5 years ago.
    That’s why I thought it was worth sharing. I’m going to the store to get new top rail. To try again . I am using the connectors from tarps.com to connect sections of top rail. I will get 2 6’ sections and use the swaged end with only one connector and see what happens. Wish me luck

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    So I don’t know if anyone really wants an update but I found the problem. I was setting the leg connectors way to far from the end of the stand. There was about 10” of top rail on either side of the outside of the legs. This was allowing the top rail to flex instead of transferring the weight to the legs. I also screwed wood blocks to the floor so the legs can’t slide in toward the center. Had a good night sleep in the hammock last night. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Images
    So I don’t know if anyone really wants an update but I found the problem. I was setting the leg connectors way to far from the end of the stand. There was about 10” of top rail on either side of the outside of the legs. This was allowing the top rail to flex instead of transferring the weight to the legs. I also screwed wood blocks to the floor so the legs can’t slide in toward the center. Had a good night sleep in the hammock last night. Thanks for all your help and advice.

YES! I definitely wanted an update, and thank you for giving it! I can see how having those brackets to close to the center of the top rail could lead to a bend on the ends. Good move on the wood blocks to keep the legs/feet from moving.

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In joining the club. My fittings just arrived.
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So, going off the original post, I bought the original fittings that needed to be cut. Thankfully, I do a lot of metal working and have a metal chop saw.

I also took note of some people's tubes\fittings rusting and used some "Frame Saver" used to treat the inside of steel bike frames to prevent rust.

I'm excited to get it built before scout camp next month.
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    I’d love to see pictures when it’s done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goalie View Post
    So, going off the original post, I bought the original fittings that needed to be cut. Thankfully, I do a lot of metal working and have a metal chop saw.

I also took note of some people's tubes\fittings rusting and used some "Frame Saver" used to treat the inside of steel bike frames to prevent rust.

I'm excited to get it built before scout camp next month.

Good idea about the anti rust treatment, IMO!

• + New Posts
  • Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast