DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    Howdy folks! Thanks for the info on building this stand! I'm a Scout leader and camp every month. Every once in a while, we camp where there are no trees available. One of those outings without trees is coming up on 2/8. I just ordered the fittings from Tarps.com. Am wondering about recommendations from those that have built these stands what you would suggest for leg and ridge pole length for an 11 foot hammock (Dream Hammock Sparrow) and a 6 foot hammock enthusiast.

From some folks that have posted on their experience, 7 foot legs seem a bit too long and 5 foot seem a bit too short. Am guessing 6 foot legs would be the Goldilocks length?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce
    I went with 2 6ft poles for my ridge pole. With the straight connector it long enough for any of the hammocks I own. I also went with adjustable legs, while they are capable of extending to 7ft, I mostly use them at 6 feet. I also drilled out a 6.5 adjustment length so I could set my foot height higher 6 inches higher easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Howdy folks! Thanks for the info on building this stand! I'm a Scout leader and camp every month. Every once in a while, we camp where there are no trees available. One of those outings without trees is coming up on 2/8. I just ordered the fittings from Tarps.com. Am wondering about recommendations from those that have built these stands what you would suggest for leg and ridge pole length for an 11 foot hammock (Dream Hammock Sparrow) and a 6 foot hammock enthusiast.

From some folks that have posted on their experience, 7 foot legs seem a bit too long and 5 foot seem a bit too short. Am guessing 6 foot legs would be the Goldilocks length?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce
    Hi Bruce. I still use my stand daily and have not changed anything on mine since I initially posted. I still connect the hammock with those fence endcaps, and they surprisingly have held up under my significant weight. I use my 11 foot Blackbird with it, and I am 6' tall like you, and I have slept in it most nights since I built it. My ridgepole is 12 feet long, and the legs are at 5'. They seem plenty long so I didn't see the need to make them longer, and they can be cut from a single split 10-foot section of fence. 7 feet would be way too long I think.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Thanks for the feedback all!

FJRpilot: curious how you made the legs adjustable. Any pics?

BTW: Got notification from tarps.com delivery is scheduled for this evening! Will be heading to Lowes over the weekend to get the fence rails and additional accouterments.

REALLY looking forward to getting this done. Our troop camps at a couple different sites that don't have trees. Am very much looking forward to NOT having to use a tent for those trips.

Bruce

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

BTW: Got notification from tarps.com delivery is scheduled for this evening! Will be heading to Lowes over the weekend to get the fence rails and additional accouterments.

REALLY looking forward to getting this done. Our troop camps at a couple different sites that don't have trees. Am very much looking forward to NOT having to use a tent for those trips.

Bruce
    I’m on the road this week but return on Friday. I will send you pics Saturday. It’s actually pretty easy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images

Bruce
    Have Lowes cut the fence poles in half for you (HomeDepo cut mine after I fussed a little) - I think 5' 3" is half. For the legs I use the two narrow end poles (swedged ends) on one end and the two standard poles on the other. The foot floor protector caps will be different sizes if you do this.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Have Lowes cut the fence poles in half for you (HomeDepo cut mine after I fussed a little) - I think 5' 3" is half. For the legs I use the two narrow end poles (swedged ends) on one end and the two standard poles on the other. The foot floor protector caps will be different sizes if you do this.
    oldpappy: Thanks for the rec! Hope the Lowes near me will be obliging.

Q: Have folks done anything to clean up the cut ends of the poles to be rounded/safer around fabric/cordage? If so, what did you do??

Also, would appreciate hearing about what folks have discovered works well as a carrier setup.

Thanks!
    Bruce

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    ...Q: Have folks done anything to clean up the cut ends of the poles to be rounded/safer around fabric/cordage? If so, what did you do??
    I used a dremel tool with an abrasive puff to smooth sharp edges.

Also, would appreciate hearing about what folks have discovered works well as a carrier setup...
    All the poles for my spurtle stand are about 4' or less so I bought a cheap snowboard bag on Amazon. I remember it being cheaper than what I find there now.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    So, I’m not sure who the first person on this thread suggested this, but if you take 1” EMT, it will slide inside the 1 3/8th fence rail. Drill holes in both and secure with a clip. You can drill additional holes in the EMT to give you adjustability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Left for Lowes Sat morning to assemble materials for stand. Was planning to borrow the Troop truck to bring home the fence poles in case Lowes would not cut. Truck was frozen solid...couldn't get into the cab. Went to Lowes hoping for the best. Nope, they do NOT cut fence for customers. They did sell me a nice pipe cutter so I could cut down the railing to fit into my Accord!

Here's the assembled stand.

Use some chain and Nite Ize carabiners (hooked into 1/4 eye bolts) as spread limiters:

With Dream Hammock Sparrow set up, cinch buckles all the way cinched:

View from inside:

Here's the package broken down for transport:

Ended up re-using the ridge pole from an earlier turtle dog stand. Ridge pole total length is 11 feet. Leg length is 5' 3" (half the fence pole). Rubber feet were 1.5" diameter...the 1.25 didn't fit.

Thanks all!

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    For the slippage problem you mention here's what I did. For the outer-most bracket, run the screw all the way in so instead of pressing down on the ridge pole it now acts like a stop. My hammock is hung from a tree strap wrapped around both leg brackets. This way the tension holds the brackets together on each end as well as pulling the outer one solidly against the end of the ridge pole. Hopefully this makes some kind of sense. I'll try and take a photo later.

• + New Posts
  • Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast