Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    Images
    How much strength needed on the chains or cords that prevent separation of the feet, and max distance folks are using between the feet Lt/Rt separation? 5 ft?

Images
    Got er done, easy peasy! Definitely one of the easier and more useful projects I have done, and easier and probably less expensive than my previous stands. And for the first time in a long time, no significant flex messing with the hang of a hammock, especially with the WB Ridge Runner. Since the RR needed my previous stand to be at max length, that appeared to cause even more leverage resulting in excessive flex so I have never really been able to use my RR unless I find some trees. But no longer! I can back yard hang all I want to now with the RR! Whoo Hoo!

I have so far used my left over fence rail sections(from previous stand) for the top post. I did not yet buy new fence top rail for the legs, but went ahead and used those rails left over from a trampoline I tore down several years ago. I have been looking for something to use them on ever since then. They seem plenty strong, maybe stronger than the fence rail, but measure 1/16" less diameter than the regular fence top rails, so there is a little sloppiness when I place them in the open L connectors from Cover Me Tarps, but not much, and less once I tighten the screws up. My wife said there was no noticeable flex in the top rail when I load it, but I forgot to get her to look closely at the ground supports, I will do that tomorrow.

But far as can tell, it feels pretty solid. I am going to take the S links back to Lowe's as I ended up just putting some bolts/nuts through the pipe near ground level and instead of chain, I had some extra hammock straps that i looped around the legs below the bolts which keep the straps from moving up. Also, I have just placed a biner through the end caps.

There is some end to end sway, a couple of inches, but I assume that can't go any further due to the open L limits how far that can go. I can't tell there is much sway side to side.

So thanks to Circusfreak from the OP and all the other contributors for posting this how to. Here is my old faithful 10 ft Claytor:

Here is my RR:

Here is that RR wih a WB Climashield Yeti under ( with 1 layer of 2.5 oz/sq/yd CS installed) and bug net deployed after a couple of mossied flew up as I was about to doze off:

Got it done this weekend as well. $30 for the 4 uprights and $36 (with shipping) for the L connectors. Used the amsteel (yellow) from the turtle dog stand. The eye bolts on the bottom of the legs I had from another project and I tapped the holes to thread the bolts.

The top rail is two sections of 6' with an 18" length of 1-1/2" pipe as a joiner. This is what I had on the turtle.

Sturdy AF

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Images
    Does anyone have any idea what kind of rating might be required for the leg straps? I'm wondering if I can get away with something pretty light, something way less than the hammock suspension straps I am using now.

I lengthened the top rail to 15 feet so it would work better with my WB Ridge Runner, with a fence rail sleeve added over the new joint.. It appears it could not work better. Here is a picture loaded with my slightly >200 lbs. As you can see, about perfect. No significant bowing in either top rail or the salvaged legs from the trampoline, which are 1/16 less diameter than fence rail, although they apparently are a heavier metal. As they weigh more than fence rail. This works about perfect with any hammock I have got.

Occupied hammock does not appear to bend the legs at all:

Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-03-2018 at 23:52.

If you're meaning straps to keep legs from spreading, I haven't use anything when on any dirt or sandy surface

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Got Sag View Post
    If you're meaning straps to keep legs from spreading, I haven't use anything when on any dirt or sandy surface

I was going to make and woopie slings for the adjustment but haven't yet.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Guys just be careful using those cast aluminum end caps. They are brittle (cast) and not designed to handle a lot of stress. I put an eye bolt thru my top rail and use the end caps to tie off my rain fly.

Connection Close Up.jpg
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    Guys just be careful using those cast aluminum end caps. They are brittle (cast) and not designed to handle a lot of stress. I put an eye bolt thru my top rail and use the end caps to tie off my rain fly.

Connection Close Up.jpg
    Yea, I don't use them ,

Images

I was going to make and woopie slings for the adjustment but haven't yet.

Well, if some are using nothing on dirt, then there must not be much side ways force at all. So I think I will switch to some lighter cordage.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post

Connection Close Up.jpg
    Yea, I don't use them ,

I was hesitant to use them also, but the OP has used them for a couple of years, and I think some others have also, including some folks heavier than my ~ 205. So I decided to go with them for now, but I may add something stronger later.

• + New Posts
  • Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast