Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smbka_1 View Post
    Been lingering for a month-ish now, making my inaugural post to say thanks in regard to OP and everyone else that's added info in the 5.5 yrs that this thread has been around

I'm not new to hammocking, definitely not new to camping. But still fairly green when it comes to combining the two. That being said, most all of my current camping efforts are with my son's scout troop. My failing back has struggled with every solution I've tried in regard to comfort... right up until I took the advice of another leader that suggested I take the plunge on a camping hammock (and holy crap I've already gone way down the rabbit hole in regard to reading, research, gear, etc lmao). That being said, after having spent the first night last weekend having to hole up in the car due to a laundry list of hurdles including a lack of trees, some really soft sandy soil, a sundown arrival, etc... this stand is exactly what I needed. Durable, portable (we're car-based), versatile, etc.

And I cannot thank everyone (especially OP) enough. It's too windy for me to get this completely set up and post pics, but pipes are cut and at the ready. Definitely looking forward to testing it out

I'm currently (using 6 fence rails) set for leg heights at 5'8, 6'2", and 7'2" and end to end pole ridgelines at 12'2", 13'9", and 15'6". In an effort to try and speed up the at-dusk setup, I've cut things so that it doesn't matter which pole I grab - like the 6 main leg/RL poles are all the same length, with the same eye bolt placement, etc. Between those base poles and a couple sets of extenders, pretty sure that will cover all configurations of what I would ever anticipate for sizing needs.

So, lastly, here's my offering for another creative approach. I've decided I'm going to head back for one more section of fence rail. Pretty sure that I've done the math right, and one more rail (along with one piece of scrap from the first 6) will allow me to also make a tensahedron stand out of everything. With the clevis pins, swags, couplers, eye bolts, etc all at the same placement on my base poles - and of course the fact that I'm working out of a car - having an added setup ability seemed like a worthwhile effort. Hell, if nothing else, I'll get some bonus credit at Summer camp this year as I change up my framing

Thanks again to all

Sounds like a plan: change things up! I also have both stands in a DIY, plus a recent splurge with the commercial version. Mainly bought that for compact size, low weight and air travel.Also, it is just a lot slicker than my DIY, but all function adequately.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I looked for Fence Rail at Home Depot today. Looks like the price has doubled to $20/ 10ft pole. I believe the diameter of the large end was one and three eighths inches. Home Depot didn’t have a rubber foot that size. Were they just out of stock or do you put the larger diameter end in the 90° bracket and put the foot on the smaller end?

Looks like it takes five poles. Four for the legs, one for the top, and part of a shortened leg pole to extend the top rail beyond 10 ft.

If I had more couplers, I could make legs by combining some shortened ends. But I didn’t think ahead and for the shipping cost to add them, I could just buy one more pole.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubco View Post
    finally got mine setup, found the open L brackets from a company called deer busters on amazon, $29 dollars for 4 shipped to my door so no high shipping like some other sites (pro tip, order them as 4 individuals rather than the 4 pack and it saves ya $10 dollars) Unfortunately top rails are now $20 bucks each from home depot i was able to put it together using 5 of em.
    6 ft legs and a 14 foot top bar using the cut off from one of the legs and a whole 10ft top rail
    Attachment 188117
    UPDATE (05/03.2022):I called DeerBusters and confirmed that the Inside Diameter of these open 'L-Brackets" is reported to be 1 3/8". I am electronic centric, not mechanical.

I have the Military Surplus Aluminum mast poles. I could easily use three 4-foot sections for the 'ridgeline' and two 4-foot sections for each leg.

Each tube is 48 inches long by 1.785 inch outside diameter (inside diameter 1.57 inch).

This inside diameter suggests that the Deerbuster's open 'L-Brackets' will slip inside the Female end of the 4-foot Military Aluminum poles, with a wee bit of grinding to remove the set screw bold and smooth out the weld.

The last 3.25 inches of the 'male' end is a smaller diameter (1.55 inch OD, 1.33 inch ID) that then fits into the 'female' end.

This suggests that an aluminum aluminum thick walled pipe of 1.25-inches outer diameter could be inserted into the 'male' end of the pipe with enough length to

Could you please confirm the inside diameter of the open L-Brackets?
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 05-03-2022 at 12:20.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I looked for Fence Rail at Home Depot today. Looks like the price has doubled to $20/ 10ft pole. I believe the diameter of the large end was one and three eighths inches. Home Depot didn’t have a rubber foot that size. Were they just out of stock or do you put the larger diameter end in the 90° bracket and put the foot on the smaller end?
    https://dw1zws.com/qyt-kt800-kt8900d...tem-interface/

Looks like it takes five poles. Four for the legs, one for the top, and part of a shortened leg pole to extend the top rail beyond 10 ft.

If I had more couplers, I could make legs by combining some shortened ends. But I didn’t think ahead and for the shipping cost to add them, I could just buy one more pole.
    I used 4 fence rails. top rail is 2 six foot pieces. Legs are 2 rails cut in half, and I used the leftover from the top rail to make four 2 foot sections to put on the legs. If you cut them correctly, the legs will fit together using the narrow ends. So for me, a 12' top rail, and four 7' legs.

Images
    I purchased two of the Trident Deer Fence 3-way 1 3/8" flat corner fitting - black from Amazon

Got to sleuthing the www, and came up with STEPHENS PIPE & STEEL 1-3/8 in X 21-ft 18 Gauge Galvanized Steel Top Rail

Now this top rail is 21-feet.

So, buy two pipes and cut the 1st pipe into thirds, to get three 7-foot sections. You now have three legs.

For the second pipe, cut a 7-foot section. You now have your fourth leg, and a 14-foot section left.

Pretty simple, and instead of 17-gauge steel, you have 18-gauge steel.

My preference is 8-foot legs, for a top rail that is just over my head. This means that a tarp draped over the top rail can be right at 6-feet above the ground.

Deerbusters sold on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082L41KFP...t_details&th=1

Unfortunately, these are about $40-$45 each. Still, time is money as they say. Local stores here in the San Antonio area are currently out of stock.

Lowes have the 21-foot lengths in 17-gauge for $53

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-x-x-...ail/1000005090
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 05-07-2022 at 16:59.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    UPDATE (05/03.2022):
    Could you please confirm the inside diameter of the open L-Brackets?

it is 1.39 ID on the deerbusters sorry for late response didnt check sooner

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    You need to do special prep on galvanized steel in order to paint it, and might need special paint. Do an internet search and you'll find a bunch of sources that tell you how!

(Short answer is that just spray paint will likely peel off in no time.)

I have been reading this thread for a while off and on for over 2 years. I finally decided to give this project a shot. I needed a free-standing setup for a camping trip at the end of the month. It went together fairly easy, got it staked down just as it started to rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Marc S - a Noah 16! do you have to pay property taxes on it?

Great job on your stand - an inspiration to the rest of us.

Oh - and first post. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-22-2022 at 13:39.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    What length did you end up using on your top pole and legs?

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast