DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I just set this up to sleep out back tonight. 15° and calm tonight so I'm using the Mamajamba tarp. The 11' tarp fits really nice, so I think I'll eventually add a few inches to the top rail to let the 12' tarp breathe a little.

BIG THANKS to everyone who posted here.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I just set this up to sleep out back tonight. 15° and calm tonight so I'm using the Mamajamba tarp. The 11' tarp fits really nice, so I think I'll eventually add a few inches to the top rail to let the 12' tarp breathe a little.

BIG THANKS to everyone who posted here.
    Great job, looks like it will serve you well..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Here's a pic of my first night setup. Slept great!! Perfect height, angles, everything. Just fits on the patio as well without an inch to spare, but wouldn't be a big deal to put into that pine duff a little. I like strapping the hammock around the L fittings and tarp from the eye bolts; it's like they were designed just for that!

The chain is nice, but I may just switch to amsteel if I find I never change the leg distance.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    I would guess that staking some lines out from each end would eliminate most of the end-to-end wobble for sure. I personally have never tried it since I built it for indoor use. I bet someone on here has given it a try though. But really the sway is not too bad once you get used to it. I was convinced it was not going to be strong enough when I started using it and felt it wobbling a bit, but it holds up great!
    I have. And it makes a huge difference.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Read all 61 pages, and I'm on-board! Ordered my open L brackets last week (that shipping is a killer). Trying to decide on the length of legs I'll need. It seems the most economical thing is to use the 5' 3" legs by cutting the top rails in half. But at this point, I don't want to cheap out over $20 worth of top rails and be "less than satisfied" with my stand.

Having said that and having read all 61 pages of the thread, I'm still unsure of leg length. I'm just using an Eno DoubleNest, so nothing fancy. I believe it is considered a 10' hammock. So, what are my optimum leg lengths going to be? Ideally, they are tall enough that I can "sit" in the hammock just like I would when using trees.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
    Read all 61 pages, and I'm on-board! Ordered my open L brackets last week (that shipping is a killer). Trying to decide on the length of legs I'll need. It seems the most economical thing is to use the 5' 3" legs by cutting the top rails in half. But at this point, I don't want to cheap out over $20 worth of top rails and be "less than satisfied" with my stand.

Having said that and having read all 61 pages of the thread, I'm still unsure of leg length. I'm just using an Eno DoubleNest, so nothing fancy. I believe it is considered a 10' hammock. So, what are my optimum leg lengths going to be? Ideally, they are tall enough that I can "sit" in the hammock just like I would when using trees.
    I struggled with the lengths myself. Did a lot of reading here. I'm thrilled mine worked out perfect! I wanted to fit my 12' tarp, so I used the following for a very close fit with only inches to spare:

14.5' top rail (hammock connection spacing at 13')
    64" legs - this allows for the 16" sitting height I wanted and generous leg angle (not too far apart to collapse and not too close to be tippy)

If you're not interested in the tarp, I'm sure you can get away with 5' legs (half pipe sections) and a slightly shorter top rail.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks for feedback. I think I'll try the 5' 3" legs first and just a single length top rail. I can always add some length to the top rail - I purchased one of the couplers with my brackets.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
    Thanks for feedback. I think I'll try the 5' 3" legs first and just a single length top rail. I can always add some length to the top rail - I purchased one of the couplers with my brackets.
    They're really nice and strong! Just remember you lose about 3" when putting the pipe together. I forgot to consider that when inserting the swaged end into the other. That 3" made my 12' tarp a tight fit.

Also, the 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 rubber caps from Lowes fit on the smaller swaged end.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Gotcha. So do I remember correctly that the swaged ends are 6"? So you end up with one swaged leg and one not swaged (assuming you cut the sections in half)?

EDIT again: So, at the minimum for 5' 3" legs, you would need (3) top rail sections...two for the legs and one for the top. That's the bare minimum as far as materials. You could then go the other route, and need (6) top rail sections - that gives you the most flexibility for single-piece leg length and top rail overall length. I think I'll pick up 3 to start with and use 5' 3" legs. My thinking is I can always add some to the legs if I needed to via the 1" EMT.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Oh I forgot about that. So you'll only have two swaged legs and two without. The only problem is the caps not fitting the non-swaged end. Unless you can find bigger caps or really stretch them. Small potatoes in the whole scheme of things. If using in grass, it wouldn't matter at all.

I don't recall without looking but I think the swaged ends are more like 3 or 4"? I could be wrong.

Correct on the 3 poles for a bare minimum setup. Seemed to work fine for others who were not using a tarp or long hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast