Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I've used them for over a year and a half and have never had a cord on the legs but I'm also using them on sand/loose ground. And that is with one teen that wiggles as well as my ample 260 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Adkins View Post
    I've used them for over a year and a half and have never had a cord on the legs but I'm also using them on sand/loose ground. And that is with one teen that wiggles as well as my ample 260 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    OK, thanks! I will at least switch to some lighter cords.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I was hesitant to use them also, but the OP has used them for a couple of years, and I think some others have also, including some folks heavier than my ~ 205. So I decided to go with them for now, but I may add something stronger later.
    Yeah, I still am on the same pair of those rail ends, and I am upwards of 275. No breakage to my surprise, as I agree they do look like they would be a weak point. And I sleep in my Blackbird XLC almost every night on this thing since I originally built it. If it's sturdy enough for me...

Good design Circusfreak! Thanks for the inspiration. I got all my parts and made one this weekend. Simple to assemble. The hardest part is cutting the tubing with a dull hacksaw blade. My sawzall died on me. I have my legs splayed to 40" and the top rail is 60" off the floor. The source for the brackets (http://tarps.com/fittings2.htm) has a part that requires no cutting: (1 3/8 Open L One pipe slides through) $5.25 Part # OL(J). One other thought, if you use Circusfreak's design with two fence top rails, save the cut off with the male end. If you ever need to extend the length, just cut it off as needed and add it to the poles. The stand feels very stable and I am not a light weight either. Looking forward to spending some time with my new stand.

Hey guys, is there a way for me to to edit the #1 starting post on this thread? I'd like to update the part description to the L pieces mentioned by Bill above to save people some time with cutting the Ts if they don't catch that adjustment in the rest of the posts.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I have my legs and top rail segmented in 4ft sections for easy travel. To limit leg spread I use a simple dogbone made from braided mason line. The dogbone is in the middle of the legs at the segment. Nothing heavy needed there.

Being probably one of the heaviest hangers (350) using this design, I chose to make my stand a little longer and hang directly from the L brackets. End caps are not an option and I had an issue with the S hooks bending the end of the pipe making for difficult disassembly. My toprail is 7ft when the legs are in position.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

This is awesome!! Love the stand!! Although it’s proving really difficult to source the parts in the UK unfortunately!!

Thanks to the OP for posting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Just ordered L brackets. Have to try this stand!!!

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Just ordered my parts! Thanks again for the great idea CircusFreak and for all that contributed pics, ideas and experiences building the stand! I'm very excited to build this and to be able to hang in my backyard or spare bedroom! In terms of naming the stand, how about The Juggler Stand to pay tribute to the OP CircusFreak who got the name juggling in the circus?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceiceguy View Post
    Just ordered my parts! Thanks again for the great idea CircusFreak and for all that contributed pics, ideas and experiences building the stand! I'm very excited to build this and to be able to hang in my backyard or spare bedroom! In terms of naming the stand, how about The Juggler Stand to pay tribute to the OP CircusFreak who got the name juggling in the circus?
    For the record, I never juggled in the circus. But I have been juggling forever and my buddy and I used to do a lot of shows back in the day. I even met Shug Emery one time when we were performing at the same festival. It was funny to then happen across him here after I accidentally got into camp hammocking. Small world!
    The "circusfreak" nickname was given to me by my college friends because I'd always be doing some juggling, ropewalking, fire eating, whip cracking or some other circus-y weirdness.

Also, just to give credit where due (as I did waaay back in this thread somewhere), I only really adapted the design of the stand that Hammeck was selling before they closed. I just adapted the design to use cheap off the shelf parts. They were cool about me sharing it with the DIY community here.

Enjoy your hang!

• + New Posts
  • Page 54 of 76 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast