Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Built one of these, and it works great! Going to make a second one so we can have a pair for traveling and hit a place with no hammocks on trees. We are fairly new to hammocking, and the stand gives us a place to experiment. I used four pieces of rail, and cut two of them 6' 6" cutting off four feet that included the swaged end. I cut both of those pieces in half, and cut the other two rails in half to 5' 3". Adding the two foot sections to the four legs gives me a 13' ridge, and 7'3" legs.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    Built one of these, and it works great! Going to make a second one so we can have a pair for traveling and hit a place with no hammocks on trees. We are fairly new to hammocking, and the stand gives us a place to experiment. I used four pieces of rail, and cut two of them 6' 6" cutting off four feet that included the swaged end. I cut both of those pieces in half, and cut the other two rails in half to 5' 3". Adding the two foot sections to the four legs gives me a 13' ridge, and 7'3" legs.
    That's great! Are you wrapping the suspension around the end? Or using hooks like the original poster?

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Yea that looks nice
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post

Pardon the kid mess, but here is when it is collapsed...as close to the wall as I could lean it with all the junk in the way
    Attachment 115207
    I long for a place that tidy.

I can barely see the floor and havent seen the benchtops for quite sometime at my place

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    That's great! Are you wrapping the suspension around the end? Or using hooks like the original poster?
    I used daisy chain wrapped around the adapters and caribiners for now. I am using a zing it tarp ridgeline, and I can just get a 10x12 tarp up. I will try to add pics when I have enough posts.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    I used daisy chain wrapped around the adapters and caribiners for now. I am using a zing it tarp ridgeline, and I can just get a 10x12 tarp up. I will try to add pics when I have enough posts.
    That's what I'm doing. On occasion, the adapter will slip and it scares me initially, but they can only slide on the pole so far until they bind up. So no huge crash. But that quick 6" drop always gets me!

Quote Originally Posted by goalie View Post
    Screwing in the end eye bolt kept the legs from walking in.

I am thinking I'll use a screw in anchor on each end to tie it down so I don't have to worry about it flying away during my week at scout camp.
    I love it. Simply screwing in the eye bolt is an elegant solution to a problem that I have been considering for about a week. Your point/method, of attachment is about as optimum as it can get, with the tensile force of the hammock straps being divided into downward force on the legs and compression on the ridge pole, and little if any bending moment on the ridge pole.

Now I'm going to have to bite the bullet, order the two "L" fittings and pay the exorbitant shipping costs (almost as much as the fittings themselves).

Anchors don't always work for winds. I was at a Council-wide event just south of Santa Fe back in the 70's and saw an entire tent lifted off the ground by a dust devil and sail 50 feet or more straight up. It was spilling out sleeping bags, packs, etc as it rose. So, if you're leaving the hammock alone, you consider taking down the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    GW Sears, if you haven’t ordered yet, you might want to add a coupler or two. They have more grab than just inserting the rail fence pole inside the matching piece and may allow for mating two poles that don’t have a taper. As you’ve discovered, the shipping price is about equal to one of the items you order so you might as well get all the pieces that could come into play in one shipment.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    GW Sears, if you haven’t ordered yet, you might want to add a coupler or two. They have more grab than just inserting the rail fence pole inside the matching piece and may allow for mating two poles that don’t have a taper. As you’ve discovered, the shipping price is about equal to one of the items you order so you might as well get all the pieces that could come into play in one shipment.
    Good call! And their couplers are much nicer and deeper than the ones you'll get at Lowes or HD.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Smokehouse 1
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by GW Sears View Post
    Now I'm going to have to bite the bullet, order the two "L" fittings and pay the exorbitant shipping costs (almost as much as the fittings themselves).
    Where do you buy the "L" fittings from? http://tarps.com/fittings2.htm does not seems to work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast