DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've been using this a bit more now that it's no longer hotter than the pits of hell. 75-80° and sunny with a breeze but in the shade. Perfect!

Looking back, I wish I had another 3-4" on the legs. SO CLOSE!! It works but I'm so close to the ground. I may just invest another $40 to get it right.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    My wife and I have been using these AWESOME stands indoors for a while now. I made all the pipes by just cutting each fence rail in half (63” each). Well, my Lowe’s cut them with their pipe cutter for free. They are perfect for our DIY 11’ hammocks and attach with Amsteel continuous loops and carabiners to eyebolts I put in the top rail. We hang about 14” from the floor.

I wanted to be able to use them outside for 3-season use with a cheap poly tarp from Menards (Midwestern hardware chain). I measured and found that the Ends of the eyebolts on the stand’s toprail are nearly exactly 10’ apart. Hmmm... I found that I can use a 6x8’ tarp on the diamond using the existing grommets for minimal coverage, or an 8x10’ in A-frame mode by adding 2 grommets in the middle of the 8’ sides. Easy and no frame mods required.

Warning: for those wondering, the actual dimensions of a Harbor Freight tarp are too short at 7’4” x 9’6” and will not fit the eyebolts. You could add a bit of cordage, but it also would not provide good hammock coverage.

A15EA20D-BA28-4665-83BA-F0B8EEFCE2B4.jpg 4DBC3EBC-618E-470A-9236-A5EA4B3C7EFA.jpg B0809581-1FDF-4EA6-B795-8CA330BE0D5C.jpg

Just my contribution to the tribal knowledge. Enjoy!
    Last edited by DannyII; 09-23-2020 at 16:24.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    I got the stuff to make this stand and may have made a mistake. I was trying to make it as portable as possible... well I think 4’ sections using regular fence connectors for the top rail was a bad call. The top rail is adjustable from 8’ to 16’ but it looks loose and fragile. The legs are two sections for a total of 6’ I connect them using the built in narrow end of the pipe. I was thinking about cutting slits in the connectors and getting hose clamps to tighten them down. I am just not sure if it would make them tight enough. Has anyone ever done that? I ran a dog bone of amsteel through to rail thinking it would stop it from separating but was to chicken to get in the hammock to test it. I will have to set it back up and take pictures. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobScottStewart View Post
    I got the stuff to make this stand and may have made a mistake. I was trying to make it as portable as possible... well I think 4’ sections using regular fence connectors for the top rail was a bad call. The top rail is adjustable from 8’ to 16’ but it looks loose and fragile. The legs are two sections for a total of 6’ I connect them using the built in narrow end of the pipe. I was thinking about cutting slits in the connectors and getting hose clamps to tighten them down. I am just not sure if it would make them tight enough. Has anyone ever done that? I ran a dog bone of amsteel through to rail thinking it would stop it from separating but was to chicken to get in the hammock to test it. I will have to set it back up and take pictures. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks
    I'm having a hard time picturing what your issue is. Is it the connection points on your top rail that seem less than secure? Do you have some of those top rail connectors to beef up the joints? If worried about them coming apart, remember the force when occupied is only towards the middle, not the other direction that might pull them apart. A little duct tape, though messy, will almost guarantee they won't pull apart, though screws or bolts would be more sure and stronger.

Or, is the problem something else?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Definitely want that middle connection secure with the pipes mates AND the coupler. I can't imagine the situation if those came apart with someone in the hammock. You'd be impaled powered with your own weight. I had mine come apart with just the hammock in my garage while testing...it tore it up.

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm having a hard time picturing what your issue is. Is it the connection points on your top rail that seem less than secure? Do you have some of those top rail connectors to beef up the joints? If worried about them coming apart, remember the force when occupied is only towards the middle, not the other direction that might pull them apart. A little duct tape, though messy, will almost guarantee they won't pull apart, though screws or bolts would be more sure and stronger.

Or, is the problem something else?
    Here is a picture of it after I used the “legs” as the top rail. E83DC638-726E-41DB-81DE-DF20BD9205B0.jpeg I had the stronger built in connections for the legs before. I may have to cut down the extra pieces to make leg extenders.

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Definitely want that middle connection secure with the pipes mates AND the coupler. I can't imagine the situation if those came apart with someone in the hammock. You'd be impaled powered with your own weight. I had mine come apart with just the hammock in my garage while testing...it tore it up.
    Thanks that is exactly what I am hoping to avoid

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobScottStewart View Post
    What I always do with my setup is just run some paracord end to end across the top rail to prevent any loose connection mishaps. There are several different ways to tie / connect / secure both ends and then wrap or throw a half hitch for every section on your top rail to add more security. If you want it really tight just make one end a truckers hitch. I tie this in about a minute while top rail is on the ground after putting together before I hoist and put the legs up. Makes for a more or less solid top rail structure. It will still move some, nature of the setup, but it will not come apart unless you have totally messed up your knots and tension. I'll see if I can find a picture of this somewhere.

The frame itself does well even with 2x people in my double lounging hammock. It moves but does not walk or seem fragile. I've used mine for three years now and it's a great portable hammock stand with lots of options and potential.

See my posts earlier in this thread to see how I cut my sections if you want. My Post on Page 49 I used 4' sections for portability.

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Gregori; 10-15-2020 at 06:04.

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregori View Post
    What I always do with my setup is just run some paracord end to end across the top rail to prevent any loose connection mishaps. There are several different ways to tie / connect / secure both ends and then wrap or throw a half hitch for every section on your top rail to add more security. If you want it really tight just make one end a truckers hitch. I tie this in about a minute while top rail is on the ground after putting together before I hoist and put the legs up. Makes for a more or less solid top rail structure. It will still move some, nature of the setup, but it will not come apart unless you have totally messed up your knots and tension. I'll see if I can find a picture of this somewhere.

The frame itself does well even with 2x people in my double lounging hammock. It moves but does not walk or seem fragile. I've used mine for three years now and it's a great portable hammock stand with lots of options and potential.

See my posts earlier in this thread to see how I cut my sections if you want. My Post on Page 49 I used 4' sections for portability.

Good Luck!!
    Thanks I like your original post it was very helpful.

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregori View Post

Good Luck!!
    Thanks I like your original post it was very helpful.

• + New Posts
  • Page 65 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast