DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Some mention of the 10.6' top rail working. Would that be OK for my 10.5' hammock? I don't mind if that requires me to be low to the ground. I'd like to get away with a single pole up there.

Never mind, I forgot about the tarp! I'll use two pieces to get 11' +

SubTotal: $26.00
    Shipping: $17.30

Man that hurts, but what can you do.

p.s. One question - when joining two top pieces, does it matter where I join them? Two 6' pieces vs. an 8'+4'? Would one be stronger/less bowing than the other?
    Last edited by OneClick; 01-13-2020 at 13:30.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post

p.s. One question - when joining two top pieces, does it matter where I join them? Two 6' pieces vs. an 8'+4'? Would one be stronger/less bowing than the other?
    My experience over last couple years with my stands (2x) is that they are plenty strong. I use 2' sections to add length to my legs and sometimes the top rail and they work fine, regardless of where I place them. I normaly use 4' sections for the top rail. Even when I went overboard and connected enough sections for a 20' top rail the strength was sufficient. Little more bowing but that is to be expected. I usually put a paracord line between the two ends of the top rail just to insure that they won't work loose overnight, getting in and out several times can move things around a bit.

Having a free standing, portable stand makes indoor hanging pleasant and easy to move into a tree-less front or back yard outdoors. Plus, with all 4' sections you can easily just toss into the back of most cars.

Enjoy!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks, I got the stuff on order and will pick up the pipe this week. I can just fit 10' pipe in my jeep, so that extra 6" will blow the deal and force me to strap them up on the roof. Looking forward to hanging out back...it's been a while. The noise from others always bothered me, but maybe it will be quiet in the winter.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    That extra 6" can easily beat cut off. 6" of it is swaged (narrowed) to fit inside another piece. Cut the other end or remove the swaged end and use a fitting to join the pieces. The pipe cuts easily with a hacksaw or jig saw. I use a Saws_all since I use lots of this pipe to build greenhouses.

I make the join of two pipe close to the end support legs as that offers a stronger joint due to the cantilever effect of the shorter piece (Picture it as acting like a lever, lifting the longer piece.)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    I make the join of two pipe close to the end support legs as that offers a stronger joint due to the cantilever effect of the shorter piece (Picture it as acting like a lever, lifting the longer piece.)
    That's what I was wondering about. I think I'll do something like 8'+4' for a 12' rail. Not too worried about storage because I have more room than I know what to do with. I'll just keep it pretty much assembled and leaning against a wall.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Fence parts arriving Thursday. I'll go get the pipe tomorrow. Looking forward to sleeping out back! Not sure why I waited so long to get motivated...I'm here alone most of the time so there's nothing holding me back. I'll get the solostove burning on the patio and hang nearby!

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Dbl Wide Hex
    Insulation
    Inc 0, Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Tree straps, cb
    Hello One Click! I just thought I would add my two cents. I recently made one of these and it worked great. I’m 6’1” and 215 pounds and there was no bowing or anything. I used 1” emt for adjusting the legs from 7’ to 6’. Longest piece of top rail is 5’6”. If I’m not there on the 25th hang, please tell Yogi I said hello from Hartford City!
    Slider1
    Survival gear...ten White Castle hamburgers and my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Parts shipped a day late so they're arriving today. Got the pipe earlier this week...only an inch or two to spare!!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Following my usual DIY protocol, no project would be complete without me first destroying something, setting things on fire or losing some blood.

So after loading up the pipe for this project and scratching my car in the Lowe's parking lot, I completed the stand only to drop the end of some pipe on my hammock. Three big holes in it.

But it's done and works GREAT!!! 14.5' top rail which means about 13' connection points (space between "trees") after adding the fittings. I won't connect to the very ends because I wanted to be able to set up my 12' tarp in between everything. This worked out great.

I sewed up some 12" tree huggers (not pictured) to leave on the stand so I can just quickly attach my carabiners from the hammock. Chain at the bottom, $3 rubber caps (1-1/8 to 1-1/4") fit perfect. Now I think I'll paint it green, brown or a half-fast "camo" using both.

12' Simply Light Designs Winter Haven

• + New Posts
  • Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast