Kammok using weird/fake "diamond ripstop" fabric?

Hi folks,

I just figured out that the fabric used by Kammok (quoteproprietary diamond ripstop fabric, LunarWave") doesn't actually include any ripstop thread (unraveled part of the stuff sack using the same fabric as the main hammock):

ripstop_fake.jpg

This is contradictory to the Wikipedia definition of a ripstop fabric: "During weaving, (thick) reinforcement threads are interwoven [...]"

It seems that the warp/weft pattern is altered slightly to create the appearance of ripstop threads in these diagonal lines, that actually don't include any additional thread.

Anyone here to help me understand this? Seems like false labeling to me.

Had no problems with my kammock whatsoever, just wondering

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    That's interesting. Did you contact Kammock? I read they aren't the greatest with customer service so you may not get a reply for a while if you do call them.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    While it they may be stretching the truth calling it ripstop, it makes little difference to the end product as ripstop makes little to no difference to the body of the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    While it they may be stretching the truth calling it ripstop, it makes little difference to the end product as ripstop makes little to no difference to the body of the hammock.
    +1 Ripstop was made for garments originally and will be effective for small tears from brambles and thorns. It is virtually meaningless when used for a hammock body. The weights involved far exceed the ability of the threads to work as described. I prefer a plainweave such as taffeta for its feel. I can tear ripstop by hand and have done so numerous times.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks for all the replies. I totally see the point that ripstop doesn't make much sense for hammocks, as there are no rips to be expected that would need stopping.

However, this is still false labeling (or "stretching the truth" ) and with all the implicit support I got here, Imma contact Kammok now.

Dear Kammok team,

while unraveling some of your LunarWave fabric, I got the impression that it actually does not seem to contain any ripstop threads, although being labeled "ripstop nylon" in the Roo product description.

Please see this thread (no pun intended) for details and a picture:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...op-quot-fabric

Although it shouldn't be of any detrimental effect to use non-ripstop, vanilla nylon for hammocks, it still seems like false labeling to describe the LunarWave fabric like this.

If the LunarWeave fabric indeed has some rip stopping effect, the Wikipedia article on ripstop nylon would need updating to include the latest and greatest.

What do you think? What does the supplier say about this fabric?

Thanks in advance,

Franz Gutsch
    Last edited by trimitri; 09-03-2015 at 09:47.

Hammock
    Kammok ROO
    Tarp
    in development
    Insulation
    in development
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hey Trimitri & HF Members!

We just sent this same response through our customer service email, but thought it would be helpful to share with this thread.

Hi

Thanks for sending this over and looping us into the conversation in the thread. (unfortunately we are unable to view the image titled “ripstop_fake” in the thread – would you be willing to email that over as an attachment?)

Just chatted with our design team over your thoughts on this, and we got the microscope out! (it made our design team happy happy)

Our Lunarwave fabric is indeed a rip-stop and tear resistant fabric. More details:

- We use many different types of ripstop fabrics in our products i.e. 10×10D / 15×15D / 30×30D / etc. We use the most modern technique of fabric production as described by your findings on Wikipedia.

- While the Wikipedia article does note that the early forms of rip stop nylon used “(thick) reinforcement threads are interwoven at regular intervals in a crosshatch pattern” the article also notes that “modern weaving techniques make the ripstop threads less obvious. A similar effect can be achieved by weaving two or three fine yarns together at smaller intervals.”

- Our Lunarwave fabric uses the same base fibers (same thickness) to achieve the crosshatch stitch pattern. The advantage of the crosshatch is that it helps prevent further tearing if there is a small hole or tear. (I’ve attached a few microscope images showing this in detail)

Thanks again for reaching out and for providing feedback! Hopefully this gives you a bit more clarity. It is always our desire to bring innovation/advancement to our customers and to have the highest quality/reliable products.

Feel free to share this with the other users in the thread. (We can always be reached at [email protected] or via phone at 1-888-815-5162.)
    - The Kammok Team
    1 6D.jpg

Lunar dia.jpg

Lunar diamond.jpg

• + New Posts